On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAMM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 am 

Admittedly I don't pay much attention to Namm, never have. But after watching quite a few videos (interested in what Premier was putting out), it's more obvious than ever that short toms are here to stay. Meaning, 10x8, 10x7, 12x9, 12x8's. I have not seen one kit featuring 10x9,12x10's...
I'm feeling old.
Also seems bass drum depths are shrinking again, a lot of 16,14 sizes, some 17 and few 18's.

Post subject: Re: NAMM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:41 am 

Reading drum sites around the net, there is a fair irritation with deep kicks, although I have never heard it articulated why.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am 

Gregory wrote:
there is a fair irritation with deep kicks

I can't believe how good my beech infinite 22x20 sounds!!! Unbelievable drum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Admittedly I don't pay much attention to Namm, never have. But after watching quite a few videos (interested in what Premier was putting out), it's more obvious than ever that short toms are here to stay. Meaning, 10x8, 10x7, 12x9, 12x8's. I have not seen one kit featuring 10x9,12x10's...
I'm feeling old.
Also seems bass drum depths are shrinking again, a lot of 16,14 sizes, some 17 and few 18's.

Sooner or later, one way or the other, all you rock guys are going to end up playing jazz kits. :? :lol:

Kidding aside, there are guys aroung here that see this as a 'return to tradiditional sizes'.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Reading drum sites around the net, there is a fair irritation with deep kicks, although I have never heard it articulated why.

Getting hard cases for them? :?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm 

Nah. My guess is that they are comparing 1950s and 60s kicks to modern. But still I haven't really been able to discern a reason. I don't care much one way or the other myself, and I guess with that attitude I ought to prefer shallower kicks; less weight, less real estate occupied in the gigwagon and on stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:50 pm 

cliff wrote:
Getting hard cases for them?

Wow now this I have to agree with!
I ordered 8,10,12,14,16,18 and 22x18 hard cases and asked for them to be fully foam lined for extra protection.

It took them 3 attempts at the 14x14, 2 attempts at the 12x12 and 2 attempts at the 18x18!

They just kept coming too small and would not close properly. My 14x14 is still borderline but just fits.
Oddly enough though the 22x18 kick case manages to fit my 22x20 beech kick. Only just mind you.

Yes there are many practical reasons why square sized toms and large kick drums should not be used but boy do they sound good! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm 

Quote:
Kidding aside, there are guys aroung here that see this as a 'return to tradiditional sizes'.

Completely see how that is true here Cliff. But NAMM? Leads one to believe, that it's even the rock guys, still playing rock.

Random thoughts....(Translation: too lazy to make any sense):
I do believe the landscape of what is considered rock, has changed drastically. I grew up in "Hard" rock. It's not really "Hard" rock anymore.
With the advent of YOUTUBE, the younger populous watch their heroes on the kit of the day (professionally recorded) and it becomes the "must have" kit. Which makes me think that they have never played anything deeper than those toms and know no difference.
That is not at all meaning to exclude those that have and prefer those sizes. I'm surely not trying to "sell" deeper toms. I know for the situations I've been in, past, presently and possibly in the future, that they are what I need for those things. I also certaintly can see where it wouldn't be much of an issue.

But you are correct in categorizing, there are situations I can still see me playing square toms and others (situations) not needed/desired and would be fine there too.

Right now, I'm 10x9,12x10...so on. 20 x 18 is my kick but I'm 99 percent sure I would love a 20x20.

I saw ONE kit out of all of the ones I looked at that had deeper toms than 10x8..12x9. That was that ugly ass evil looking Nicko MCbrain kit. That has square toms. They need the realestate for all the graffiti I assume.