On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi Hats
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:44 pm 

Just picked up some of these, Meinl Byzance Extra Dry mediums 14", so far liking them, very dry funky dark sound, a thin ish top cymbal lends itself more towards a trashier sound so a little more foot pressure is required to get a tighter sound, also the foot 'chick' sounds are quieter and not as defined as brighter cymbals, but still experimenting so we'll see how that develops...

Post subject: Re: Hi Hats
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 pm 

Good luck with these, Nick.

Interested in hearing how the experience develops.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:37 pm 

Haven't paid any attention to Meinl hats, but have been paying a lot of attention to the extra dry crashes.

Let us hear more as you become accustomed, Nick. Nice looking, that's for sure! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:19 am 

I dunno about the Byzance series, I tapped on some on display, didn't see the magic after all the typical hype when something new comes out (best thing since sliced bread, says the owner of the drum shop) but I do know Meinl is putting out some incredible cymbals.
Tell us what you think Nick when the newness wears off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm 

Well, played a fair bit on them today and was really enjoying it which is a good sign, I tightened up the felts a bit on the top cymbal which helped the afore mentioned need for more foot pressure. They are funky hats to be sure...going to try them on Weds with the tuned-up Lite kit playing jazz.
I have a 22 Byzance Jazz thin ride that is pretty nice, amazingly they seem to have doubled in price in 18 months or so...unbelievable!
The extra dry crashes do seem really nice, I could imagine picking up an 18 or 20 crash, somewhere between a crash and a china I think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:00 pm 

percusski wrote:
Well, played a fair bit on them today and was really enjoying it which is a good sign, I tightened up the felts a bit on the top cymbal which helped the afore mentioned need for more foot pressure. They are funky hats to be sure...going to try them on Weds with the tuned-up Lite kit playing jazz.
I have a 22 Byzance Jazz thin ride that is pretty nice, amazingly they seem to have doubled in price in 18 months or so...unbelievable!
The extra dry crashes do seem really nice, I could imagine picking up an 18 or 20 crash, somewhere between a crash and a china I think.

Glad to hear the hats are shaping up!

My impression of the Extra Dry crashes, particularly the very thin ones, is that they are more like splashes in the sense that they are stoppable with a stick rather than requiring a hand-grab, but less abrupt in general decay than a splash.

A dry set of hats will want rides that are also fairly dry, and I'm not sure, at least for my purposes, that birch and dry cymbals are a great marriage. Realizing when I say that, my knowledge is not deep, so to be more specific, my experience with S-Classix was that they worked better with washier cymbals, whereas maple Designers require cymbals that are more percussive lest the drums and the cymbals overwhelm each other.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 am 

so far have been using it with a DeJohnette 22 ride and it seems to compliment that - almost in opposition to the ride's ultra clear sticking, it also works well with the Sabian 21 Fierce ride I have that has a raw type of sound.
at 1.25 to hear the crash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zL3MfwBx6A trashy sound...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:59 am 

I'm gunning for a set of the 14" Meinl dark hats. They sound amazing! As does the 22" dark ride. Weird thing is I play mostly rock music and rock is not mentioned on the Meinl website towards this range of cymbals.
I can see what Kelly is getting at as my local drum shop pushes whatever cymbals he has in stock! I guess it's all about sales at the end of the day which sucks. Some months you go in and he has completely dropped Sabian and says they are crap then 6 months later there they are back on the shelves and it just so happens they are 'the best' again. :?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:51 pm 

The combination of these hihats, DeJohnette 22" ride and an 18" K dark crash thin really complimented each other, it looked very cool too with the Lites and their black DeJohnette heads :P
On a side note I also picked up one of these a few months back, originally I didn't like it that much but it has really grown on me...Years ago I tried a UFIP Natural series china 20" it was probably the best china i'd ever played, however it cost a fortune so didn't bother...the newer ones don't look the same and i'm not sure sound the same from the video clips...but you never know..any of you guys use Ufip?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:31 pm 

Never been near one, Nick. What does that one do?