On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:46 am 

OK, there is something to be said for history. And in my old age I am getting more sentimental!

Noble & Cooley is a drum company that was founded in 1854 (20 years before Sonor) when they started building marching snare drums for the Union Army of the Civil War. Though they mostly made drum sets for children through most of the 1900s, in the early 1980s they started making pro drum kits, and excellent ones at that. The company is only about 2 hours from my house and they have a museum there and offer tours of the current shop etc., but stupidly I have never gone to see it. But I have always coveted their drums, mostly because they make awesome shells the way I like them (thin shells with no re-rings) and haven't followed any silly trends in the market over the years. But also because they are still a family-run business (2 people?) who make and finish all their drums by hand.

They have done a few unique things over the years, like making alloy snare drums with Zildjian metals and I think they made some of the earliest single ply snares on the market if I recall? But they also made a line of drum shells (back in the 1990s I think?) that were called Horizon Series. They were maple shells with an inner ply of mahogany and very minimal contact lugs. A few of the plies were placed horizontally, which according to N&C "increases trueness, resonance, and pitch clarity." N&C also says "the Horizons maintain a clear, transparent, pure tone with enhanced attack characteristics, narrow sustain, and controlled decay. These tonal qualities are characteristics of solid shells and are especially good for miking and recording." I have no idea whether these descriptions are something I would agree with or not. They kind of sound more like the sonic characteristics of a birch shell than a combination of maple and mahogany to me. But I do know that there are some drummers out there that absolutely love this series and say they are some of the best shells they've ever heard. However, we all know that sometimes "the neweset drum in your collection" is the one that sounds the best!

Anyway, I have always been somewhat intrigued by them so when I stumbled on a gorgeous Horizon Series kit in a pretty cool finish with a 20x18" bass drum for a pretty good price (for a kit if this quality)... I took the plunge! I have huge love for 20x18" bass drums and I know Kelly shares my opinion there. The fact that this kit was owned by a fairly well know rock drummer is something I could care less about. The fact that it looks like he didn't tour with them much and that they were most likely a back-up kit (and therefore in stayed in pretty good shape) is something I'm more interested in!

I sold a couple of snares this weekend, but gonna have to unload my Phonic Plus kit now. Latz... you still out there and lookin'? ;)

More pics to come in a week after they hit the east coast. Thanks for indulging me!

- David

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:40 am 

Very nice, David. They have a hot-rodded look about them. Never understand when shell makers talk about the direction of plies; by its very nature, plywood is constructed with grain running in opposing directions in order to control warpage. So when they start talking about horizontal of vertical grain, I start scratching my head.

Anyway, great fun looking forward to a new kit! Noble and Cooley is a name to conjure with.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:22 am 

Nice toys, David. ;)

I have yet to play N&C, but always hear good reviews.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 pm 

More and more I like the idea of playing something that was built close to me by true artisans who really care about what they do. Just kinda cool:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

- D.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:18 am 

Trying to sqeeze posts in at work...

I love that. Good job David. That does look like a keeper. I'll be waiting on the arrival.
At my house :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 am 

phatsolid wrote:
I sold a couple of snares this weekend, but gonna have to unload my Phonic Plus kit now. Latz... you still out there and lookin'? ;)

I'm here. My looking is more like window shopping. I've got 3 in college at the moment and 2 more on the way.

As much as I'd like a Phonic kit, it is going to have to wait.

However, nice kit. I had a long discussion with the owner about the construction of the Zildjian Noble & Cooleys last year at the Chicago drum show. Congrats..

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:41 pm 

If that 20x18 walks through Your door Kelly, do we have a guarantee You'll let it back out?!? ;)

A GREAT LOOKING SET = everything about says "style and class". A simple yet stylish line, nice lugs and a fascinating color...

Wonderful!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:41 pm 

I can guarantee if it was to go back out, it would go back to David. We just keeping swapping kits back and forth. We just like to see how they would look at each others house.