On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RESULTS!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:09 pm 

I've been driveling on for some time now about playing lightly and finger strokes. On Saturday I had the opportunity to test the results of my practicing, and I am happy to report that I was able to modulate the Classix to whatever level needed, from barely audible to moderately forceful backbeats, and everywhere in between in fills.

Time was I would have felt constrained by playing in that environment, but I was able to play more and have more creative fun than I can recall in the past, in part because using that type of dynamic control gives a great deal more leeway in what is played without approaching overplaying, and in part because the melding of the drums sounds so damn good!

:) :) :)

Post subject: Re: RESULTS!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:06 pm 

Awesome Greg, are you going to keep your S Classix? I love Birch. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:22 pm 

stevesmithfan wrote:
Awesome Greg, are you going to keep your S Classix? I love Birch. :)

Thanks, Greg. The issue never was the Classix. I like them fine, and as a gigging kit, where light weight and speed of set up is a plus, they really shine. This was a very informal setting, two acoustic guitars, electric bass and vocalists in a meal tent where people were just there to eat and socialize... so bringing the somewhat intimidating looking Designers seemed sort of inappropriate. I wanted to be visually toned down, too! Brought a four piece and three cymbals.

The Designers might have had an edge because of the fullness of tone to flesh out the drum parts, but when you don't know the music and you don't know the players (and when there are no monitors), the scooped out middle of birch may have added to the ability to hear where the singers were headed. Don't know.

I can't really claim to great preferences in shell material. I like everything that goes boom!

But I now have a new confidence in being able to play in venues – and even being able to play in musical styles – that would have intimidated me in the past, just because of this little fast-twitch-muscle finger thing. Now how cool is that! ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:43 pm 

Nice! ;)

An appreciable step forward when you can confidently play, with expresion, through a broad range of dynamics.

Must have been a real pleasure.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:41 pm 

Congratulations Gregory!!!

Being able to control the volume while playing is not something a lot of drummers know... :(

I'm very glad that You've decided to take that road. I've seen jazz greats doing that in a matter of seconds and it really makes the drum expression A WONDERFUL THING TO HEAR...

Well done....

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:15 pm 

Thanks, guys!

The difference is in how the stick is gripped. I learned to hold the stick fairly tightly at its pivot point. With finger strokes, exactly the opposite is true; the pivot point is kept very loose. Since the stick isn't being picked up there is no requirement to hang on except when more volume is required. Dynamics are achieved immediately just by changing those muscles.

So the learning curve involves a) accepting a lower volume level, and b) relaxing the hand so the fingers can do the work, allowing the pivot point merely to act as a fulcrum rather than as a grip. Both of those habits, almost fifty years in the making, still require attention, but I'm getting it.

You guys already knew that, but I am thrilled! :) :) :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:49 am 

Some other bonuses are in your equipment costs, I haven't split a drumstick in years, haven't dented heads in probably 10yrs, or, the worst :evil: ,, cracked cymbals.
I used to smash my cymbals when I played heavy Metal, who would have thought that suffering a Stroke would improve, somewhat, someones touch :| .

Congrats Gregory, you must feel proud ;) , nothing like a little hard work.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:34 am 

Thats great greg, its a pivotal point in your playing for sure. You'll find your endurance will go miles farther now as well, along with what everyone else said.
Now you just have to get down the one handed rolls....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:28 am 

Jeff wrote:
Some other bonuses are in your equipment costs, I haven't split a drumstick in years...

Good point, Jeff.

I can recall a time when 5A's were merely 'consumables', to be discarded after every third rimshot, but I can honestly say that I have not broken a stick now in probably 25 years.
:o ;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 am 

cliff wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Some other bonuses are in your equipment costs, I haven't split a drumstick in years...

Good point, Jeff.

I can recall a time when 5A's were merely 'consumables', to be discarded after every third rimshot, but I can honestly say that I have not broken a stick now in probably 25 years.
:o ;)

HEY!

It's been years since I've broken a stick.
It's been years since I've beavered through one with the hats.
These days, the beads just wear down, becoming smaller and a little softer.

If they last any longer, I'm going to have to invest in termite control. :evil: :P