On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sonormuseum...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:27 pm 

cliff wrote:
cdan wrote:
I had forgotten about speakingofdrums so thanks for reminding me. I seem to remember there being an AWFUL lot of sections which was a bit overwhelming!

I wonder if you are confusing Speaking of Drums with another forum that had a lot of sections?

I think you're probably right! Doesn't look nearly as overwhelming as I (wrongly, it seems) remembered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 pm 

Yes, I think he means Julians old site. Julian asked my opinion when he first put it up and I suggested to him it was extremely confusing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 am 

cliff wrote:
Good to see you, Rob.

Congratulations on the new Steve Smith Signature kit!

Must have been tough to let the S Classix go, eh?

Thanks Cliff, Wish I could have kept them both!! The SClassix tuned much easier. I am struggling to find the right heads for the SS right now. Just tried ambassadorX on the toms, but man, that was a disappointment. No balls at all and when tuned low lots of strange harmonic overtones. Next try will be coated ambs using the DD "Cliff-settings" ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:39 am 

Welcome to both hihat and percusski...

This place is really something!!!
:geek: :geek: :geek:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:41 am 

hihat wrote:
cliff wrote:
Good to see you, Rob.

Congratulations on the new Steve Smith Signature kit!

Must have been tough to let the S Classix go, eh?

Thanks Cliff, Wish I could have kept them both!! The SClassix tuned much easier. I am struggling to find the right heads for the SS right now. Just tried ambassadorX on the toms, but man, that was a disappointment. No balls at all and when tuned low lots of strange harmonic overtones. Next try will be coated ambs using the DD "Cliff-settings" ;)

Don't we always wish we could keep them both?!

I'm not familiar with Ambassador X. Looked them up and they look like the Remo equivalent of Evans G Plus coated.

Can you refresh my memory about the shell specs and material?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 am 

Steve Smith 30th Anniversary Kit: The shells are made of Beech Wood with a Birdseye amber outer veneer . Whereas the 20"x 16" Bass Drum shell is made out of 6.1 mm, 9-ply Beech Wood, the 14"x 14" and 16"x 16" Floor Toms as well as the 8"x 8", 10"x 8" and 12"x 8" Tom Toms and the 12"x 5" Snare Drum are made out of 8.1 mm, 9-ply Beech Wood.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am 

Hihat. Wow! Long time no see. Nice to hear from you.

Congrats on the SS kit. When you say easier to tune, do you mean easier to get a sound you like? Or easier to get a singular tone?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:43 am 

Gee, that's a difficult question to answer. Perhaps I am used to the birch SClassix or maple SQ2 which both have a more defined sound. These thicker beech shells have a lot more different sounds within itself. When I changed the ambs to emps on the SClassix it didn't change the characteristics of the set very much. Just making it less round and more fat. It's very hard to explain. I hear all kind of different things e.g. in my 10" of the SSS. Some I like , some I don't. so I play with different heads and different tuning of the resohead to get a balanced, straight sound. I even asked Steve Smith how he tunes it, but got an answer which wasn't very helpfull ( I tune it rather high, like Tony W.and use Remo CS on the toms, but that's not an option for me)
So now I go back to square one. Ambs or amb-like heads on top and bottom and try the cliff-setting of the DD, which I always thought were a bit on the low side. My settings were usually round 78-80 on the SQ2, snare 90.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 am 

Rob,

One thought occurs to me. It may not be relevant, and if it is, you may already be aware of it.

Being that the Ambassador X heads are 12 mil thick vs standard Ambassador at 10 mil (same as the G Plus), and that they are coated, which will add more deflection resistance, the same drum dial tension on both will not be the same pitch.

The drum dial only measures deflection of the head, and a thicker head (12 mil) will require less tension to provide the same resistance to deflection as a thinner head (10 mil), and the coating ads some resistance as well.

I have used G Plus clear batters (12 mil) over G1 resonant heads (10 mil), and found that the 12 ml head needed to be about 2 tics on the dial above the 10 mil head to be at the same pitch. With a coated batter and a clear resonant, the difference may be even more

I approached it by:

• installing the 10mil head, finding its DD reading at a given pitch
• removing that head
• installing the 12 mil head, finding its DD reading at a given pitch
• determining the difference using that info to set the heads to equal pitch, as a starting point

Not sure if this applies to what you are doing, or not, but I know that when I tried 12 mil over 10 mil, at the same starting readings, the effect was much as you describe your displeasure with the Ambassador X

River City Trio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:49 am 

hihat wrote:
...So now I go back to square one. Ambs or amb-like heads on top and bottom and try the cliff-setting of the DD, which I always thought were a bit on the low side. My settings were usually round 78-80 on the SQ2, snare 90...

Rob,

You may just prefer a higher tuning, or our dials may not be well calibrated relative to each other.

Have you listened to the Designer and Signature samples that I have posted in "They sound like this..." to see where they are relative to where you preferences are?

Except for the kick, we have identical diameters, so we have a pretty valid comparison.

River City Trio