On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PUMPING PLASTIC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:58 pm 

cliff wrote:
Maybe to you...

...I have been waiting two hours to get a drink.
:?

What's two hours out of two weeks? :P When you order, get several. :? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:50 am 

Kelly wrote:
I think that point was a given and understood Greg. Any musician who is neatly trained without a heart (lacks feel) for it usually does not appeal.
The ones where their personality comes out in their playing are favorable. Unless of course you're an asshole. But then there are a lot a great asshole muscians.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately - that's how music life works...
Most of those musicians who are not assholes - keep teaching... ;)

This is a great topic - and I too agree that today's musicians (in general) lean on speed and technicality, and put heart-melody-soul aside. That's why we have a lot of copycats, but very few geniuses... :(

I went to a gig last Friday - a great young guitarist, grew immensely, both in sound and technique.
But yet I heard NOTHING in his playing to remember, after I went home...

And then there's Alex, my friend back here. Every time he plays drums I hear words and sentences... Now THAT's music!!!

I know a couple of guys back here who're just like him (Alex I mean, not the guitar guy... :lol: )

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:17 pm 

I was interested by the analysis of the triumvirate within each person, how one becomes three, and of course three - one.

Heart, soul, passion - those are vague concepts and very difficult to impose upon music: the effort becomes more self-indulgent, like looking at the ceiling and wiggling around a lot. One of my deepest fears is jazz-butt. That's when a female jazz vocalist scoots her behind around on whatever stool she's perch. :o :shock: :o

Feel, well, that's also difficult to define but involves musical sensibilities; a lot like listening, I'd guess.

I saw a movie of a young violinist, thirteen or fourteen at the time, who demonstrated something rather remarkable. Asked by the interviewer how she could play with such adult emotion, she picked up her instrument and played a difficult passage with a lot of emotion, then played the same passage with brilliant cool. Take your choice. :shock: