On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:11 pm 

hihat wrote:
The 20"x 16" Bass Drum shell is 6.1 mm 9-ply Beech Wood, whereas the toms are 8.1 mm 9-ply Beech Wood.

I take it that the bass is not a problem.

Tom shells are a bit thinner than Phonics. I'm afraid my entire Phonics experience was framed by Pinstripes, and thus I cannot comment on comparative resonance to either Classix or Designers.

They were, however, more lively than Signature heavy. The aim was dry, focussed drums.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:57 pm 

Gregory wrote:
hihat wrote:
Thanks for all the nice comments. i made the holes with a 14" hollow punch, very easy to do.

Now I came accross something else. I always had kits with rather thin shells, Lite, SClassix, SQ2 vintage maple, Designer maple light, so the thick beech shells of this SS-kit gave me headaches concerning tuning and sound. Most of the time I use single ply coated heads for the smaller toms and sometimes emperors for the larger.
In my head I have a standard how a kit should sound and always managed to come close to that, but not with this kit.I tried all kinds, Remo ambs coated, emps coated, Aquarians coated, but nothing came close, the sound was dull, muffled untill I tried clear ambs. The kit suddenly opened up. Still different from my other kits, less sustain but great.
Do any of you have that same experience with thick(er) beech shells?

Rob, how thick are those shells?

Generally speaking, the thicker the shell the drier the tone. When Sonor talks about "focus," they mean less harmonics. It makes sense that the thinnest clear heads are going to be more resonant. Of course that goes without saying, but the effect becomes more pronounced as the shells become thicker.

That phenomenon is not unique to beech.

My opinion, Greg's take is spot on. The issue is thickness related more so than material related.

We have all talked before about how getting both heads evenly tensioned is the prime element of maximizing 'openess' and resonance. In a situation where the thicker shell will function to dampen the outer circumference of the head (the faster vibrating, high frequency harmonics part), attention to maximizing resonance would seem all the more important if the drums is to not sound dead.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 am 

I did tune both heads equal, but still, the effect was not what I expected with the coated ambs or 2-ply coated heads. Perhaps I am too much used to thin maple or birch shells. I like wide open drums...
The thin beech Benny Greb snares I have don't have the issue, nor has the BD (or my teardrop and swinger, both thin beech shells).
If I listen to Steve Smith playing the same kit, his set sounds open enough for me. He doesn't use coated heads either...
I also talked to another SS-kit owner on facebook (he has kit nr 5) and he strongly advised against coated heads too.
By the way, I am very happy now having clear ambs on the set. It feels a bit strange because I can't remember having clears on any set I had over the last 10 years. An advantage is that I can see Steve's autograph in every tom now 8-) .
SteveSmithfan: since you have a heavy beech SQ2, what is your opinion?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 am 

"Wide open" and "thick beech shells" seems to be an oxymoron.

You'll get it worked out Rob. I think I would try tuning higher. If that doesn't work with the thinner heads (if the drum chokes), I would go for a thicker head and try tuning higher.

For the record, I never like the sound of Smiths drums, regardless of what series he's using.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 am 

hihat wrote:
I did tune both heads equal, but still, the effect was not what I expected with the coated ambs or 2-ply coated heads. Perhaps I am too much used to thin maple or birch shells. I like wide open drums...

Rob, I like 'em open, too. Didn't used to.

Steve Smith's opinion: if there's any resonance left on the head, shave it. :roll: And if that's not enough, adorn it with a beret, kooky glasses... and a goatee.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:38 pm 

Gregory wrote:
And if that's not enough, adorn it with a beret, kooky glasses... and a goatee.

You've just described Idris Muhammad... :lol:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:38 pm 

Gregory wrote:
And if that's not enough, adorn it with a beret, kooky glasses... and a goatee.

You've just described Idris Muhammad... :lol:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:42 pm 

hihat wrote:
The thin beech Benny Greb snares I have don't have the issue, nor has the BD (or my teardrop and swinger, both thin beech shells).
If I listen to Steve Smith playing the same kit, his set sounds open enough for me. He doesn't use coated heads either...
I also talked to another SS-kit owner on facebook (he has kit nr 5) and he strongly advised against coated heads too.
By the way, I am very happy now having clear ambs on the set. It feels a bit strange because I can't remember having clears on any set I had over the last 10 years. An advantage is that I can see Steve's autograph in every tom now 8-) .
SteveSmithfan: since you have a heavy beech SQ2, what is your opinion?

Rob,

I've used the following heads on my SQ 2 Heavy Birch toms, with great success.
Remo: clear, coated, and suede Ambassadors.
Remo clear CS Dots.
Evans: clear and coated G1's.
My favorite are the CS Dots and G1 coated.
My kit sounds fine with coated or clear heads, it doesn't really matter. The only thing I won't try on my kit are 2 ply heads. I don't like their feel or sound.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:03 pm 

Here's Steve Smith playing his signature kit with coated Ambassadors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StvRAS1g ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:45 am 

mmmm, and you think that sounds good?