On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

Post subject: MORNING LIGHT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:04 pm 

Early light catches the Designer bops. But what is in the snare position? :?

:shock: Egahds! Not another Signature snare. I've seen so many of them that they're like the Mona Lisa. :roll: BORING BORING BORING!

Yup, sure enough. I sold my last Sig snare over a year ago. What is this doing here? Oh, man, is this going to make Kelly unhappy! :o

This one has a secret and a story. I have so much been enjoying my Lite snare with TO2 that I began to fantasize about a Lite with parallel action. But they don't come in matching veneers for my Designers. If they had, they'd have been called Signatures. Which in fact is what this drum is; a slightly elongated Lite shell with Signature veneer, too many lugs, and parallel action. I remembered that Cliff had one for sale, and we worked out an agreement whereby I could try it out with little risk (assuming strong shipping box!)

I got it several days later, and it is fantastic. If anything, it has more guts than my Lite, while retaining musical liveliness and sensitivity. The addition of more lugs and screws must damp its enthusiasm a little, but not in any way that is offensive. The parallel snare is, of course, in the way, but it has an edge of sensitivity over the extended snare. This, were I recording, would be the snare kept in the studio, and the Lite used for roadwork. :D

There's a bit of humor in brackets - when I first played the drum it was AWFUL. Dry as a bone and drier, because even bones couldn't match this for dryness. And it felt funny, like beating on something sluggish and fat. I was going to pass the drum on rapidly to its next owner. Then I looked at the batter head. EMPEROR. Speaking with Cliff a bit later, we determined that that was his last attempt at making it work for him before shelving it.

Post subject: Re: MORNING LIGHT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:08 pm 

Gregory wrote:
...There's a bit of humor in brackets - when I first played the drum it was AWFUL. Dry as a bone and drier, because even bones couldn't match this for dryness. And it felt funny, like beating on something sluggish and fat. I was going to pass the drum on rapidly to its next owner. Then I looked at the batter head. EMPEROR. Speaking with Cliff a bit later, we determined that that was his last attempt at making it work for him before shelving it...

More precicely, the Emperor is the 'rim protector' I had put on it when I pulled the Ambassador off it to put on something else, after I had decided that this drum was not for me, for some of the very same reasons that Greg likes it.

I love it when something that was sitting on my shelf as a 'last choice' drum goes to where it will be played and enjoyed.

Sending that drum to Greg created a vaccuum at my house, and I expect that spot to be filled by around this time tomorrow, if all goes well. ;)

p.s. I see you are starting an unloved orphan tom collection in the background, too. Mine currently includes 10x10 Signature and a 13x11 Designer and a 13x9 Rogers.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:18 pm 

cliff wrote:

p.s. I see you are starting an unloved orphan tom collection in the background, too. Mine currently includes 10x10 Signature and a 13x11 Designer and a 13x9 Rogers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine includes a 10x8 Classix (behind the cymbal), a 13x9 Designer, and a 12x8 :shock: teardrop. That last could easily be the 13x9 teardrop, but it has to be one or the other because I don't like and won't play the "Londoner" look.

cliff wrote:

Sending that drum to Greg created a vaccuum at my house, and I expect that spot to be filled by around this time tomorrow, if all goes well. ;)

Filed under "Nature abhors a Hoover" :ugeek: (demonstrably untrue given that we are surrounded by so much of it that special suits are needed for survival). :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 pm 

Love the photo's Greg, your set up is awesome. I want try that configuration, but I'm too comfortable with my Steve Smith type set up. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:25 am 

Congratulations on the deal Gregory. When Cliff is involved, somehow everyone gets the best deal possible... ;)

The drums look fantastic - I would love to hear a recording with this setup...

As far as "putting toms aside for better days" goes :lol: , I remember an 8" Tama Rockstar tom. I remember that one being in the bag almost always...
And also my 14" Hilite tom with floor tom rims. Somehow, when I got the 16"ft, I never got back to playing it on regular basis... :?

Congratulations once again - and Cliff, You released the "bug" - now we're waiting for the details...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:47 am 

Thanks, Goki.

It is always pleasant to deal amongst people with a respect for each other, you, Greg, Kelly, et al, being good examples, for me.

I hope to have more info and photos this evening. ;)

...and then another period of waiting, and another surprise.
:shock: ;)

River City Trio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm 

Yeah, what are you up to? Are you after what I think you are?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 pm 

tim wrote:

He is, and so am I... but not exactly the same. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 pm 

tim wrote:

I think so. :?

River City Trio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:30 pm 

Amazing pictures...although, having seen and heard the kit in person, there's no accounting for the real thing!!!

You should get some sound bites on here, I was amazed with how much you can get out of those Bosphorous cymbals.

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature