On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

Post subject: Hilite snare drum...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:30 am 

Usually I acquire drums and/or cymbals more because there is a sound I am looking for than out of curiosity, but this one is different.

Hilites are purported to be made of a maple which is softer than the maple used in Designers, and I was curious about what the sonic difference(s), if any, might be between Designer maple snares and a Hilite 14x7.

Greg found this on on ebay and gave me a quick heads up; I hit the BIN and it arrived just a few days ago. A bit of pitting on the batter hoop, and a nick here and there, but as disclosed by the seller. One unannounced surprise was that all of the lug screw washers had been replaced with cheap, over-sized zinc plated washers of the corner hardware store variety. I had enough original metal washers for the batter side only, and had to go with nylon washers on the reso side, for the time being.

I am a bit curious about the snare tensioner. The catalog on the museum indicates that there are tensioners on both sides of a Hilite snare, but this drum has only a single tensioner on the throw-off.

Looks also like low cost, non-original 20 strand snare wires on this example, vs. the 24 wire originals described in the catalog.

My usual starting head set-up (coated G Plus batter / 300 hazy snare side) has been fitted, and I am starting to figure out where it wants to go from here.

ImageImage

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

Post subject: Re: Hilite snare drum...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 am 

Cool snare, Cliff!

I'm a fan of the HiLite series look, albeit, I haven't had a chance to play a set yet. The long lugs are really striking!

Congrats on the find.

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:46 am 

cliff wrote:
One unannounced surprise was that all of the lug screw washers had been replaced with cheap, over-sized zinc plated washers of the corner hardware store variety. I had enough original metal washers for the batter side only, and had to go with nylon washers on the reso side, for the time being.

When you first described the missing washers, I thought you meant lug to shell screws, since the others would have been "tension rod washers" in my vernacular. But then I realized there's only one screw per node, so no "batter" or "snare" side lug screws to address. Must have looked really good against the chrome hoop, for God and everyone to see! :?

Congratulations on the purchase. I very much look forward to your response to the drum. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:19 pm 

Yup.

'Tension rod washers' would be the right description.

I think this drum is going to be the mule for some snare wire comparison testing, too.

I don't recall if it was you who did some comparision testing, or if we got involved in a discussion a long time ago on the fauxrum.

Might be better for me to start a separate topic for this.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:09 pm 

A fantastic snare nevertheless Cliff - CONGRATULATIONS on the purchase!!!

I remember replacing ALL the washers on my Hilite kit with PLASTIC ones, because they worked way better than the regular (metal) ones... Maybe You should try plastic washer on both sides Cliff...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:28 pm 

Hey Goki,

That is probably what I will do.

I nedd to get some more plastic washers. I did not have enough of either to do the whole drum, but did have enough of each to do one side.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm 

Great snare Cliff, are you going to post a sound clip?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:07 am 

I have to check the suitcase but I am quite sure I have the plastic washers and the original metal ones. Let me know what you need.
If I were you I would go for the plastics. The metal ones inevitably scratch the hoops and cause rust.

My guess is that snare is going to sound way too thin for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:52 am 

Kelly wrote:
I have to check the suitcase but I am quite sure I have the plastic washers and the original metal ones. Let me know what you need.
If I were you I would go for the plastics. The metal ones inevitably scratch the hoops and cause rust.

My guess is that snare is going to sound way too thin for you.

You may be right. My initial reaction is that it might be, by I am going to wait until I have the same snare wires on it as on my Designers, so that my initial reference point is the same, and go from there.

Thanks for the offer on the washers I am going to re-stock with another order of 1-200 plastic for 'inventory'.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:07 am 

I'm with Kelly, I don't know if you are going to love it. I have one and it is a great rock snare, one of the best I think, but for the warm tones you are used to it may not be the ticket.
Cliff have you ever tried a Lite snare? I feel like that sound is up your alley, or is this purely a rock maple vs. italian maple experiment?