On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:55 pm 

I've been using some tips featured in the Drummer's Tuning Bible on my Ludwig kit and needed some opinions on using a dryer in the "seating" process.

In the original version, the author recommends tightening the head up to 3 turns (in 1/2 turn increments) and, after making sure each lug is in tune, using a blow dryer to finish seating the head. The original suggestion was to use a dryer on medium heat approx 2"-3" above the perimeter of the head. It was recommended to go 2 or 3 times around at about 8 seconds each revolution.

In an update on the website, the author writes this caveat:

"5. Hair Dryer – In the last iteration of the Drum Tuning Bible® v2 the use of a hair dryer was promoted to aid in helping the head form easier to the bearing edge. The process was described as heating the perimeter of the skin above the bearing edge. The instructions were to make about 3 revolutions remaining about 2” (50mm) off the surface, taking about 10 seconds for each revolution on a 12” drum. My latest effort to prove whether this is or is not warranted gave me mixed feelings on the subject. Keep in mind Mylar® is a very heat forgiving material and is generally picked for its heat stability virtues. In measuring the output of a average 1600 watt hair dryer, I noted that the heat output was on average between 170° and 180°F. The objective was to simply warm up the film a bit to get it to relax easily and form to your bearing edge. On the 3 heads I tested, the REMO Emperor™ (2-7mil plies, REMO Diplomat™ Snare Side Head and the Aquarian Classic Clear™, you could not feel any change in ductility. In other words, there was no noticeable change in the flexibility of the film. Given Mylar’s physical properties, one would have to use an industrial style heat gun to affect the nature of the film. These can easily exceed the 280°F required to change the film and make it melt. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF SUCH A HEAT SOURCE. THIS CAN ALSO DAMAGE YOUR SHELL, THE FINISH AND HEADS. Not to mention other potential damage.

It is the opinion of some drummer’s that the use of a normal hair dryer maybe a total waste of time. This is because in practice (as demonstrated in the above experiment) the dryer does not get hot enough to affect the film at all, which I concede does appear to be true. However, others (such as the likes of Bab Gatzen as demonstrated in his 1993 video Drum Tuning: Sound and Design) feel it can help out to get a head seated quicker. I can only conclude that despite the outcome of the trial I performed, I too have thought there is a noticeable difference on the thicker heads when done while the head is under tension. I can only suggest that you try it with a normal hair dryer (NOT INDUSTRIAL HEAT GUN) and see what you think?"

So, has anyone tried using the blow-dryer method?

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 pm 

No, I've read it but it seems arcane. The heads seat quite well without it, as far as I can tell. But you are free to test it and report back. 8-) Question is, what will you compare?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:15 pm 

Hey Justin,

Honestly, I look for solution to problems rather than for extra things to do.

I generally use 10 mil single ply clear heads on round drums with good bearing edges, and have not had a problem to try to solve.

I can only speculate that the heating process may be of some value with extremely thick heads, out of round shells, or bad bearings edges.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:35 pm 

I have been cranking them up as high as possible and letting them sit for a few minutes, then backing them down, has been working for years.cheaper than a hair dryer.

Although as I did that on my hilite snare tonight I wondered if the edges were going to peen over, I dont think they did though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 pm 

tim wrote:
I have been cranking them up as high as possible and letting them sit for a few minutes, then backing them down, has been working for years.cheaper than a hair dryer.

Although as I did that on my hilite snare tonight I wondered if the edges were going to peen over, I dont think they did though.

I do as well. If I can, I'll tweak them up about 10 tics over normal tuning, let them sit overnight, back them off, and tune.

Funny you should say that about the Hilite, as the snare beds on mine also looks like you might have tuned it.
:? :lol:

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:20 am 

The ideal way would be to tune high - and then detune after a while (I usually leave them for 1-2 days).

The only time I used a hair dryer - was to blow out the stick picks that were between the rim and the head... :lol: And I ran the dryer on cold air...

Let the good drums roll!!!