On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: KICK STRIKE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 pm 

cliff wrote:

There we call it ‘focused’.

I thought we called it dead, or solid, or deep... good though! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:11 pm 

cliff wrote:
Gregory wrote:
...Seriously, though, it would be a great experience to have a "group together" with our kits. And I have enough here for four people, just bring your own cymbals and thrones.

I am still hearing the call for 'Drummer's Exile in Wisconsin', if enough were genuinely interested, and willing to make a real commitment to attend. If we go even half a dozen guys from here to show up and exchange ideas for a few days, it would be very interesting and worthwhile.

I'd be interested, but I don't think my technique would help at all in this experiment.. :o :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:33 pm 

latzanimal wrote:
I'd be interested, but I don't think my technique would help at all in this experiment.. :o :roll: :lol:

:lol:

Kelly: so near by but so far away... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:35 am 

From Acoustics Animations, Dr. Dan Russell, Kettering University Applied Physics

Check out the entire website. This guy makes patterns of all sorts of things, but relevant and interesting bit of reading w/ visualizations here:

http://scatcat.fhsu.edu/~crvernon/resum ... ead.Modes/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:48 am 

A few items that seem obvious, but should be mentioned just the same;

The less damping the batter head, the more the harmonics, and the greater the differential between center and off-center.

As damping on the batter head decreases, tuning becomes more critical. To get a good (to me) tone from two open single-ply heads, the tuning needs to be identical. "Just above wrinkle" works great for rock with dampened heads, but with two open heads it sounds as if the drum were falling apart. (Can we state that the thinner the membrane, the more articulate it becomes - including all sorts of stuff you don't want to hear?)

Volume can be increased by lessening damping (if that doesn't seem obvious, then you have brain dysfunction much like mine).

Cliff, how far off the floor is the beater axle of your Cobra?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:27 pm 

Gregory wrote:
...Cliff, how far off the floor is the beater axle of your Cobra?

Lots of interesting info in the link you posted, which I have only been able to look at briefly, so far.

Thanks for posting it; I'll definitely get back to it.

Center of the Iron Cobra axle is roughly 6.75" from the ground.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:19 pm 

cliff wrote:

Center of the Iron Cobra axle is roughly 6.75" from the ground.[/color]

Thanks for that measurement, which is the same as the Signature pedal. I would think it difficult to get much lower and still have enough pedal movement, at least in the standard arrangement.

I look forward to hearing your take on the wave form page. I can't quite figure out how all those different forms are created, other than 0,1 and 1,1.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:58 pm 

Greg,

Checked out the wave page! What great info.

Like you; however, I'm confounded on anything past modes (0,1) and (1,1)!? I have a friend who dabbles in physics so I'm planning to run it by him this weekend and get his take.

Also, the author of this link keeps referring to a Timpani's tone which, from any that I've seen/played, have only one head and a hollow, bowl-like hull. Do you think that two-headed drums will produce different results as there are two heads set into vibration vs. one?

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:04 pm 

Justin wrote:
Greg,

Checked out the wave page! What great info.

Like you; however, I'm confounded on anything past modes (0,1) and (1,1)!? I have a friend who dabbles in physics so I'm planning to run it by him this weekend and get his take.

Also, the author of this link keeps referring to a Timpani's tone which, from any that I've seen/played, have only one head and a hollow, bowl-like hull. Do you think that two-headed drums will produce different results as there are two heads set into vibration vs. one?

Dunno. According to this guy, all drums act the same, though surely the other end will have an effect on rebound. Others have suggested that tymps are alone in this respect, but check out this page from the same site that gives an understanding of monopole, dipole, and quadrupole sound array that helps explain "effective radiation."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:39 pm 

Greg, just take the easy way. Throw a pillow in it and a mic on it...... :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next