On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phonic Rosewood Orphans
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:13 am 

Just to get things rolling, I'm considering strongly letting these pieces go. It is not a matching setup but, are special pieces that I don't wish to move too cheaply. Still figuring what price to put on them. All comments are welcome regarding the value/price or anything else to say about them. The sound is some of the best I've ever had out of about a dozen different rosewood Phonics I've owned since 1979. Don't have much time at the moment for details but will do so asap:
Sizes are 12x8 14x10 w/legs 16x16 18x14 the two floor toms are rosewood in/out while the bass drum and high tom are out only and thinner shells than the floors. Original steel hoops for the bass and these broken Signature hoops will be swapped back to original.
The Signature bubinga lurking in the background, the best grain on this 15x17 you ever saw as discussed earlier, will be for sale, too. My photos don't do justice in these smaller pics. I will post an album later.

Last edited by sonordrug on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:57 pm 

Interesting kit, Lane. How is the bass thinner? Is it a Champion, or a transitional piece? Six ply, 6mm?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:18 am 

The inner/outer veneered Rosies were as thick as Sigs. The outer only Phonics were closer to 9mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 am 

Jeff wrote:
The inner/outer veneered Rosies were as thick as Sigs. The outer only Phonics were closer to 9mm.

:shock:

Now wait a minute...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:43 pm 

First a stacked shot showing the color. Then the 12 x 8, coated heads both sides right now so i don't have pic of interior. Rosewood out only.
18 x14 w/bubinga hoops, i have original steel in great condition. T Rods are the newer early 80s type and leg brackets also the newer version. Rosewood out only. No internal muffler came/drilled with this drum. There is a small light socket inside (i use lights in BD's) hence the cord coming out the bottom vent hole.
14x10 w/added legs, 16x16 both rosewood in and out and both with HOT edges done at the Sonor factory at request of Uli Roth. More like a 50 angle and very sharp. Have stayed sharp every time I checked during head changes. I will attest to the benefits of these edges. There is a sound difference for the better in my opinion. I have the tom bracket for the 14 but left it off as it's heavy And the drum sounds really good without it so...(i've found this big vent hole to work well with this drum and two other Sonors I have with the mounts gone).
16x16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:37 pm 

The 16x16 of this offering did sell at a pretty fair price for both parties and, probably keeping the rest till I get desperate again. A drum student does want the rest in December. We'll see.