On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DRUMDIAL HOPE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:24 pm 

Not sure I can expect to fire-up anyone else's enthusiasm, but I got an email yesterday containing notification that Sam Ash is shipping my replacement Drumdial, and hopefully it will be here in a few days. This one will have a digital readout.

The digital type has been unavailable for about a month now. Initially I entertained whether to buy the still available (and less expensive) analog type, or to wait out the month's delay. After some internal debate and the usual frittering away time to avoid actual decision making, I fell to the notion that it would be much easier to read big numbers on a lit face than it is to crane my neck into the shape of a serious attempt at tuning accuracy. That was the positive side. On the off side, I hate batteries and I love mechanical devices, but my principles were easily traded in for convenience.

It has been a long spell with some fairly weird residual tunings that were stuck, like a clock telling the time of an earthquake, when the old dial dropped. I could have continued to screw at the rods, but new tunings that cannot be documented seemed pointless, and it is too annoying hunting for a tuning I already know how to find. On a couple of occasions, I tried to straighten things up, to get all the drums speaking the same vocabulary, but as soon as one drum settled down another would start to act up, so I have been pretending that the existing tuning is interesting, and avoiding the odd resolution by avoiding certain drums after striking certain others. It has been a fertile month stylistically, but a drought for tuning, and I'm glad it's coming to an end.

Post subject: Re: DRUMDIAL HOPE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:46 pm 

Hey Greg,

I spent last night re-heading drums, and I can definitely appreciate the efficiency lost working without one, as well as the increasing challenge of reading the analog device in certain lighting and placements.

I am interested to see if the readings for both analog and digital devices are correlated 1:1. or whether your previously saved data for various tunings becomes worthless.

I hope not. Anxious to hear how the digital correlates and compares to the analog instrument.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:24 pm 

cliff wrote:
Anxious to hear how the digital correlates and compares to the analog instrument.

I'll certainly let you know. I rarely adhere to a strict note, but aim for relative pitch instead; nonetheless it will be easy enough to check the final tuning against A 440, or some-such. In my imagination, the digital readings come from the same brass bar as the analog system, but with the addition of implants. The analog system is measuring distance, and though I don't know what the increments are, I assume the maker does and can repeat them. In my imagination, I said. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 am 

Great news Gregory...

I just saw the digital version - http://drumdial.com/digital_drum_dial.htm
Several important things included - like the glass plate. :)

Very nice. I just wish they made the display with the ability to tilt - so one can look from an angle. But bigger numbers compensate for that, I guess...

Congratulations!!!

P.S. WHAT SNARE is pictured here?!? http://drumdial.com/precision_drum_tune ... _in_us.htm

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 am 

Goki wrote:
Great news Gregory... I just wish they made the display with the ability to tilt - so one can look from an angle...

P.S. WHAT SNARE is pictured here?!? http://drumdial.com/precision_drum_tune ... _in_us.htm

Thanks, Goki. We'll see how this works out.

Don't know what that drum is; not any Sonor I've ever seen, though the lugs look similar.