On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:29 am 

Yes, lifting baby, changing baby, kissing baby, feeding mama, rubbing feet of mama... :lol:

Just had a baby girl like three weeks ago!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 am 

storsav wrote:
Yes, lifting baby, changing baby, kissing baby, feeding mama, rubbing feet of mama... :lol:

Hale,

I don't think I knew that.

Congratulations!
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:48 am 

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for laying it out.

I kind of figured it was a combination of being really happy with the Signias, and some other emotions thrown in.

It's the journey, not the destination, eh?
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:03 pm 

storsav wrote:
I have a set of Phonics that I love and record very well. I'm keeping those. The Sigs never really did it for me, although I've owned a few sets. Kelly and I seem to like some of the same gear, so I'm hoping these Signias do the job for a while. ;)

The shell make up sounds awesome--5mm maple, beech reinforcement hoops, black lacquer (I prefer lacquers to wood usually), a suspension system that seems to be about the best of any manufacturer.

My gripe with Sonor is that the distribution is terrible, the prices high, the options limited...shit why do I play them? When they kit the sweet spot though they really do.

I recorded my bands latest recording on a set of Yamaha Beech Customs and those sounded great. So much for mojo. Drums only sound as good as the drummer, no?

Recording drums is a function of many things, a few of which involve the drum. It is ambient sound I care about now, as I become increasingly interested in the acoustic qualities of other instruments, and less interested in their electrified counterparts.

I know Premier made great drums. I know Gretsch made great durms. I know Sonor made great drums. I'm even willing to concede that YamahaTamaPearlMapex make good drums, although I neither know nor care.

There's no sense trying to figure out what's better for someone else, but I know why I have the drums I have, and none of it has anything to do with the name. Hell, if you were to hold out a cup and everybody who knew the name Sonor put a dollar in it, you couldn't hope to pay for dinner at the end of the week.

Distribution is terrible, but fortunately the German stuff was built to last a while. Paying for the Signatures was expensive, waiting for them annoying, dealing with the screw-ups exasperating, but I practiced, rehearsed and gigged the Signature kit for twenty years and never had a hint of trouble – except when I decided that musically they couldn't do what I was doing. That's twenty years trade for a few months of discomfort.

The Designers won't be quite as trouble free, because the organic components degrade, but that's a function of design requirements, not a loosening of control. I've a full supply of rubber and plastic bits on hand against age related issues, but I have confidence that the main components will stay together well past my lifetime.

So when it comes down to choices, a) I am familiar with Sonor drums so it's easy to stay with them, b) I like the way my Designers sound, c) I like the functional and design characteristics of the hardware, d) when sound, aesthetics, durability, price, and pleasure of ownership are considered as a matrix, gimme Tears through Designers any day.

You're right, Hale: drums sound as good as the drummer, all other things being equal; but the drummer is by far the most important component.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 pm 

storsav wrote:

Hey, when did you write that? Congratulations, Hale!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:18 pm 

WOW Hale! Gosh man you just snuck that in there. What is her name??

If the blacks don't do it for you brother, just let me know....I don't mind black.
You will not find a review on Signia drums anywhere without ridiculous glowing praise. And I agree, their tom mounts are different, unique, flawless, simple yet brilliant.

Gregory, I agree. I didn't want to over type my stay but that was a thought also. When Signature drums were out, there was nothing to even compare. Now for sure, there are a lot of great drums out there, the playing field has been leveled.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:52 pm 

Here's some video of me, Leila, and my wife--still "at the factory" :D

http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss21 ... nknown.mp4
http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss21 ... nknown.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:56 pm 

Gregory, you're very right about knowing the drums and brand. I love the functionality of Sonor hardware. It's like a system--one learned it's very comfortable.

Having toured a bit and recorded quite a bit more, people always tell me, no matter the drum, that my tuning and ear are great. When I tracked with my Designers the engineer was blown away. Same thing with my Maple Customs. The engineer even rented them from me to cut some of his own tracks.

One annoying thing to me is that in most of the drum tracks I've recorded, the drums seem too loud. It's almost as if the engineer/mixer loves the sound so much that they put it too hot in the mix. Wait! a drummer asking to be LOWER in the mix!?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:40 pm 

storsav wrote:

One annoying thing to me is that in most of the drum tracks I've recorded, the drums seem too loud. It's almost as if the engineer/mixer loves the sound so much that they put it too hot in the mix. Wait! a drummer asking to be LOWER in the mix!?

Insecure and overanxious production values, overamping that love beat. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 pm 

storsav wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS HALE!!!! :D Now that the world has been duly prioritized once again, I must say that the video of your family makes all of our intense drum flexing seem altogether irrelevant. What a beautiful baby. :)

Roland

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next