On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: BASS DRUMS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:47 am 

Here's another thought:
Every sound guy I have been subject to has impressed upon me that it was much easier to reproduce what is coming from the drums rather than try to create it.
Having owned several PA systems, I can attest to that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:53 am 

Goki wrote:
:lol:

Remember - this could happen to YOU, if You play the 18" bass drum!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nnhYSQQ1vA

Beautiful playing! Thanks for posting that, Goki. You're probably too young to remember chasing the drum kit around the dance hall. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 am 

Kelly wrote:
... easier to reproduce what is coming from the drums rather than try to create it...

Wouldn't argue with that. Connoting? :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:08 am 

This site needs an automatic google link.

Post subject: Asked & answered...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:40 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Took the Designer bop to an outdoor gig with a PA. Never miked this kit before. One mic on the bass, one of those egg-shapped D things, at the unported reso.

Question: if you're miked, why use anything bigger than an 18? unless it is an aesthetic choice. Holy Moly, what a sound! I was stunned...

Asked and answered. I guess there are reasons for something other than an 18", eh?

Who would suspected? :o :lol:

Kel, I'll take that lunchbox, when you are ready to let it go. ;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:05 am 

Kelly wrote:
This site needs an automatic google link.

Or a simple RULE - talk in plain English... :lol:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:16 am 

Back to topic:

To each his own, I guess - regarding bass drum size.

I admit I've played the Gretsch 18" bass drum in different setups. Here are MY THOUGHTS on how I SOUNDED with it:

1) Jazz band - it covers everything, and has a fantastic sound and feel.

2) Latin band - it's great, especially for samba or other latin rhythms - it lets the 12" tom get "in front" with sound, which is great. Plus, it doesn't take over the congas/bongos.

3) Funk/Fusion - it depends who I'm playing with.
In a guitar and upright bass combo - it's perfect. Even with a keyboard player - I sound just like Billy Martin (SOUND LIKE HIM, not PLAY LIKE HIM... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

If a guitarist uses pedals / distortion - everything goes through the roof - the drum set just sounds small. You have the cymbals, and the snare, and the floor tom - the 12" and the 18" bass drum are just, well, too quiet.

4) Rock blues - very difficult, unless I'm micd. But still, I don't like what I hear, since I know the drums lack the "low end"...

5) Alternative / indie music - it was great up to the point when the guitarist switched the pedal. After that, the drum set is completely USELESS... :lol:
Used it twice with alternative/indie setups, and it can never reproduce BIG VOLUME.

So, if I like to play in a band where EVERY note is clear - I'll bring the 18" bass drum since I love playing with it.
If I play in a formation, that experiments with sound, I have no other option than to bring the 22" bass drum (the S Classix set).

That's my confession... :geek:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:27 am 

Goki wrote:
Back to topic:

To each his own, I guess - regarding bass drum size.

I admit I've played the Gretsch 18" bass drum in different setups. Here are MY THOUGHTS on how I SOUNDED with it:

1) Jazz band - it covers everything, and has a fantastic sound and feel.

2) Latin band - it's great, especially for samba or other latin rhythms - it lets the 12" tom get "in front" with sound, which is great. Plus, it doesn't take over the congas/bongos.

3) Funk/Fusion - it depends who I'm playing with.
In a guitar and upright bass combo - it's perfect. Even with a keyboard player - I sound just like Billy Martin (SOUND LIKE HIM, not PLAY LIKE HIM... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

If a guitarist uses pedals / distortion - everything goes through the roof - the drum set just sounds small. You have the cymbals, and the snare, and the floor tom - the 12" and the 18" bass drum are just, well, too quiet.

4) Rock blues - very difficult, unless I'm micd. But still, I don't like what I hear, since I know the drums lack the "low end"...

5) Alternative / indie music - it was great up to the point when the guitarist switched the pedal. After that, the drum set is completely USELESS... :lol:
Used it twice with alternative/indie setups, and it can never reproduce BIG VOLUME.

So, if I like to play in a band where EVERY note is clear - I'll bring the 18" bass drum since I love playing with it.
If I play in a formation, that experiments with sound, I have no other option than to bring the 22" bass drum (the S Classix set).

That's my confession... :geek:

Hey, Goki. I enjoyed these categories and your responses, and I essentially agree with what you're saying... as long as it's stipulated that there's no PA. But when I got to 4 & 5, my reaction was very different from yours. You cite a 'lack the "low end..."' That was my point; the Designer 18 has all the low I can imagine wanting. It does not have volume, but a good PA provides that.

You and I have different Gretsch drums, Gok, so I'm not sure what yours sounds like; but I don't think I'd be hoping the same kind of bass response from my Gretsch that the Designer delivers. My Gretsch has greater volume as a result of multiple overtones, but less concentrated bass.

I'm not fully delusional; I know that a 20 or 22 will deliver more volume and a slightly deeper note, and that is why I was surprised at the depth and force of the 18 when miked through a PA (Kelly was wrong :shock: , it was a great big huge PA! :lol: )

If were to advise someone (else) who could only have one kick, I'd probably suggest a 20. Rehearsal without a PA in louder situations would be the reason. But I can't say that I really want to open myself to playing that kind of gig any longer. If the music has to be that loud to be heard, if ears need to be hurt to hear it, perhaps there's something awry with the motivation? :? :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:54 am 

Gregory wrote:
If the music has to be that loud to be heard, if ears need to be hurt to hear it, perhaps there's something awry with the motivation? :? :ugeek:

My, my! Aging is such an indelicate process , is it not? :lol: :D ;)

Roland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:05 am 

RolandG wrote:
Gregory wrote:
If the music has to be that loud to be heard, if ears need to be hurt to hear it, perhaps there's something awry with the motivation? :? :ugeek:

My, my! Aging is such an indelicate process , is it not? :lol: :D ;)

Roland

I could hear that one coming from several miles away. :lol: I would say it's a refining process and mean it sincerely. 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next