On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

Post subject: practice practice
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 am 

That no one should prolly be seeing.

Couple notes: Tried this 10 and 12 off to the side, me no like. Really miss the 8 tom. The kit sounds muddy especially with the 8 missing to offset. Everything would have to be tuned higher without it.

Rock drumming, I know, not a lot of rockers on here.

Seriously a practice, can be annoying, wasn't plan on making a video. Watching yourself really does wonders though.

Have to remove the piece of paneling on the riser. Tried it for sound purposes but EVERYTHING slides.

Not happy with the kick right now, got some work to do. The snare has been terribly neglected, waiting for my new one to arrive this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_M9uRMr3c4

Short clip with the 8 tom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSPuS3ZmcL0

Post subject: Re: practice practice
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:02 am 

Sounds big, Kelly. And good. Are you doing all that bass work with one foot, or did you acquire a double pedal?

Musicians used to use mirrors rather than cameras. Don't have one now, but I once used a mirror to the left of my kit. I wonder if the benefits are the same.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 am 

Great clips Kelly! They sound very good as far as can be determined tonally from the recording. The 8" does give it a different sonic and visual mojo. I know what you mean when the sound is almost dialed in. Remember that when you have the right snare dialed into perfection, then you are ready to fine tune your kick. The final sound is always produced in relation to your snare to get the punch and definition.

Your double kick work is real steady and your right hand is "as smooth as butta".

That riser looks too cool. Earth tone riser for earth tone set. Major fashion statement. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:20 am 

Good point Roland about the snare.

Greg, I need a double pedal bad, this one is junk.

Thanks for the compliments. Open to serious critic, you see something needing help or just plain awful let it rip.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:54 am 

Nothing awful, Kelly. I agree with Roland. Twirly sticks even. If you could point out an area where you'd like critique, perhaps someone could oblige, but given what you're doing, it sounds great. Stadium ready celebrating the Cards win. BoomBa BoomBa. Is that the sonic character of the drums and the room, or are you engaging any of the effects?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 pm 

Hey Kelly,

Nice, loose and confident.

Vey big sound. Don't know if it is attributable to the kit, the recording, or the room, but the recording gets a little muddy at times.

When I hear the drum sound get a little muddy, I start thinking the 'Signature Rule': simpler playing, with more open space.

I suspect that in this particular case, the room has a lot of effect.

Nice toy, and nice to see you playing, Kelly.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:25 am 

Quote:
If you could point out an area where you'd like critique

First thing I notice is my right hand is not hitting hard enough, or at least equally as hard as my left when I move to the toms.
Honestly, with the weather changing (the girls are in the house more) I'm just not playing enough. I don't get to do this much. More time on the kit would produce more of a solid "theme" from beginning to end. This was a practice though, and the day before I watched a Simon Philips video, the "King of rolls".

Quote:
are you engaging any of the effects

Yes but I can't really say what. The Zoom has settings to choose from that don't really say what they do. I haven't lost the overall sound of the kit but the thing does wonders for cymbals. There is a "dry" setting that is just terrible. Might as well use a camcorder.

Quote:
When I hear the drum sound get a little muddy

I didn't mess with placement Cliff for lack of time, I think if I backed it up some it would have cleared most of that up. I think these things cater to concerts and someone in the audience recording a whole band from a distance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:07 am 

OMG - I simply LOVE the sound of the Signias

Fantastic Kelly!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:18 am 

Kelly wrote:

First thing I notice is my right hand is not hitting hard enough, or at least equally as hard as my left when I move to the toms.
Honestly, with the weather changing (the girls are in the house more) I'm just not playing enough. I don't get to do this much. More time on the kit would produce more of a solid "theme" from beginning to end. This was a practice though, and the day before I watched a Simon Philips video, the "King of rolls".

Seemed presented as a practice with stopping and starting, sampling and correcting. When you have a finished masterpiece you want judged... let us know. :P ;)

Kelly wrote:
The Zoom has settings to choose from that don't really say what they do. I haven't lost the overall sound of the kit but the thing does wonders for cymbals. There is a "dry" setting that is just terrible. Might as well use a camcorder.

Interesting. I hadn't thought about it, but of course video is not expected to do the same thing, necessarily, that a single purpose audio recorder would do. I wonder how similar the audio internals of the video and H4 are. H4 contains a four track mixer and a bunch of effects I've never examined, let alone tried. It is trouble enough just to find the file I want. :oops: :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:52 pm 

Nice job Kelly, I saw one of your video's of the Sonor Designer kit, loved that one. Are you using an EMAD on any of these kits?