On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joyfull Noise snares
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:04 am 

Great snares -check out the video... :)

http://drumcenternh.com/snare-drums/joy ... om-finish/

But, what's most beautiful (to me) is that drum set - pure class!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

Post subject: Re: Joyfull Noise snares
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:56 pm 

You should see the JN's in person. They really are great sounding drums. Curt knows his stuff and is a heck of a nice guy. I should also mention that part of all of their sales goes to a charity. I don't remember which, but all sales' has a percentage going....

They had a steambent kit at the Chicago show 2 years ago. Jeff Ocheltree was there and he tuned it for them. There were nothing but half assed Bonham riffs coming from their booth for the rest of the show...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 pm 

Guys,
Believe it or not. I own JNDC Standard (NOB 6 1/2 x 14) Serial # 001!
:ugeek: Brian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:25 am 

You Lucky Guy, You... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:58 am 

Nice sounding snares and kits. I like the notion of small builders and locally available products, people with whom you can build a relationship, but I've never engaged drum builders that way. Happy enough with what I have, I guess. Sonor: We're the Anti-Relationship People.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 am 

Some day soon when I find the time, I'm gonna head up to Shane's and pick up my new acquisition:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270844410853 (pics to follow when I put the whole Phonic Plus mahogany veneer collection together)

While I'm up there I hope to bang on some of his unbelievable snare drums, Joyful Noise included. Wish I could find the time this weekend! :cry:

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:28 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
Some day soon when I find the time, I'm gonna head up to Shane's and pick up my new acquisition:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270844410853 (pics to follow when I put the whole Phonic Plus mahogany veneer collection together)

While I'm up there I hope to bang on some of his unbelievable snare drums, Joyful Noise included. Wish I could find the time this weekend! :cry:

- D.

Fantastic purchase, David! In what hat bar are you planning on knocking all the bottles off the shelf? And the price is give-away, in my opinion. I couldn't use them for anything I foresee, but holy moly what a power pack! FInd an 18 floor and you're ready to storm the Bastille.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:47 pm 

When you said "headed in a different direction", you sure meant it.
How can you not love Phonic Plus'.

That Mahogany kit that just went through with the 20x18 kick was gorgeous. Did you get that one too??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:52 pm 

Funny you should mention the 18" floor! :P I am now (or will soon be) in possession of Phonic Plus Mahogany veneer drums in 10x10, 12x12, 13x13, 14x14, 15x15 rack toms, 16x18, 18x19 floor toms, and 20x17 and 24x18 bass drums.... because I scored these too! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200661239793#ht_500wt_1413

I haven't played anything bigger than a 20" BD for years, so the 24" will probably be a museum piece for me, unless I can move it. When the 18x19 showed up I almost fell over with how heavy it is. I complained to Kelly a month ago about how heavy Signias were with those long beautiful lugs, but this thing weighed a ton even after I took the rims off! It's just the shell that weighed that much.

Anyway, I have become a fan of beech shells in the last few years and have become more enamored of older drums as I age myself! I know with the vintage guitars I own, the old wood is incredibly stable and sounds and feels great. The weather in New England, which screws with most guitars, doesn't affect the necks on these guitars which have been aging for over 40 years. I figured the same might be for older drums shells which, as long as they have stayed round, should have dried and become stable and more ringy! ;)

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:08 pm 

Whoever the New Jersey seller is, he's on to something. Phonics may not be "better" than Signatures, but if you're looking for earth shaking drum sound, Phonics deliver more of it.

Yes, Phonics Plus are heavy. But light, compared to Signatures, which have one-third thicker shells that carry heavier hardware, wherever appropriate. :lol: