On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VERTICAL PLY
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:58 pm 

@ http://www.sonormuseum.com/forum/viewto ... 0&start=20, there's some discussion about vertical ply affecting sound.

I don't know anything about that. People have often cited vertical plies as being responsible, at least in part, for the Sonor sound, but since the drums under discussion are all multi-cross plies, it's hard to understand how the orientation of the outer ply would affect tone.

What I like about the vertical outer ply is that it is ordered to the way a tree grows, and so visually more closely resembles a log. From a production point of view, it's easier to find veneers wide enough to cover the depths of drums rather than to cover the entire circumference, and so horizontal veneers should require a lot less precise precision and handwork.

Just saying. :)

Post subject: Re: VERTICAL PLY
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:38 pm 

I think you are spot on Greg. I can see how the cross plies can strengthen the construction of the shell and perhaps affect the sound in a positive way, but one single outer ply affects nothing in particular as far as sound goes. Both vertical and horizontal grains appeal to me depending on the pattern of the grain.

Roland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:29 am 

This place, http://www.alantocknell-drums.com/, does nice work.
This is a quote from the site. I noticed it has changed some, it used to put emphasis on "vertical" and that they preferred it and it sounded better, more "natural". Actually, they called it "Superior".
I don't know how true it is. I think of the SClass Pros and how there was an obvious dfference between the two. Was it due to Horizontal or Vertical? Beats me as I don't know the processes between Germany and China. The difference in sound though, was "mid level" kit versus "high level" favoring vertical.
In any case, to my eye at least, a vertical grain finish looks more appealing.

Quote:
Custom Drum Building

Drum Shells
Our Birch drum shells are constructed with a vertical grain, which means that the sound is purer and faster than a horizontal grain. Maple and Mahogany shells are constructed with an alternating horizontal and vertical grain to enhance depth and projection from the drum. We also offer a range of veneered finishes, which are part of the shell construction process. We always welcome your input to insure that we achieve the drum sound that you are looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:50 am 

Kelly wrote:

I don't know how true it is. I think of the SClass Pros and how there was an obvious dfference between the two. Was it due to Horizontal or Vertical? Beats me as I don't know the processes between Germany and China. The difference in sound though, was "mid level" kit versus "high level" favoring vertical.

Were the German and Chinese shells the same diameters?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:59 am 

Maybe they are referring to the inner shell ply. In my mind at least, that would be the only single ply that might make a difference in sound and projection. We are talking about the natural pattern of cell structure at this point. It is also possible that this is merely a marketing ruse. 8-) I just checked the S-Class Pros that I bought from you Kelly expecting to find a vertical grain inner ply. Both the inner and outer plies are horizontal. In any event, I can't imagine being happier with their sound if they were SQ2s. :P

Roland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:37 pm 

Same Greg.

I hear ya Roland. I don't really remember what that kit was, in any case, it is a great sounding kit. How about your kick, which way is that running?

You can call me nuts, I'm use to it, but quite a few experiences with the two directions regarding SClass Pros have sealed it for me. I would like them to be vertical. And like I said, I do not know if there are any other variances between the two manufacturing countries, or if any other Sonor kit, or for that matter, from any other drum company, would produce the same nuances. In other words, I am not sure it was a direction issue.
Would be interesting indeed if the two were made in the same place to make a comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:39 pm 

"The sound comes from tension free shells, 6 vertical plies + 3 horizontal plies.
Horizontal plies create a tension/warping effect on a cylindrical object. However, horizontal do create strength, thus Sonor uses horizontal plies as a tool only."
Vertical/Horizontal/Vertical Vertical/Horizontal/Vertical Vertical/Horizontal/Vertical.
Could just be a marketing gimmick, I'm not sure. I like the way all my Sonor drums sound, they are all different, yet all use this ply lay up, and a couple of them have an extra Vertical/Horizontal/Vertical lay up with 12 plies in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:16 pm 

Jeff wrote:
"The sound comes from tension free shells, 6 vertical plies + 3 horizontal plies.
Horizontal plies create a tension/warping effect on a cylindrical object. However, horizontal do create strength, thus Sonor uses horizontal plies as a tool only."

Let's not forget this is the same company that said, "The shell must not vibrate, in order not to deprive vibration energy of the drum head by its own vibrations." Of course,for the last twenty-seven years. they have been trying to figure out what they meant. Sorry to bring it up; it proves nothing either way, but it is funny. :D

I'm just not sure everyone else's drums are warping.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:45 am 

Gregory wrote:

Let's not forget this is the same company that said, "The shell must not vibrate, in order not to deprive vibration energy of the drum head by its own vibrations." Of course,for the last twenty-seven years. they have been trying to figure out what they meant. Sorry to bring it up; it proves nothing either way, but it is funny. :D

I'm just not sure everyone else's drums are warping.

As I was reading your post Greg I could not shake the repetitive phrases from "Good Vibrations" playing over and over again in my head. :shock: Beach Boy falsetto and I never got along well. :cry:

Roland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 am 

RolandG wrote:
...Beach Boy falsetto and I never got along well. :cry:

Real problem was that they got along with my sister. :cry: :lol:

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?