On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 am 

Got some of the Phonic Plus set up briefly in the new place. They are a little more nicked up than I thought, and I just threw them up on the stands, no dusting, wiping, cleaning etc. This hardware is awesome. I know they are not iso mounts, but I just locked the 14x14 and 15x15 on the stand and they are not gonna budge! The SQ2 mounts I had on the other hand bent like crazy on drums this big.

Fusion set up (10x10, 14x14, 15x15, 20x17 BD):

"future" Bop set up (10x10, 14x14, 15x15, 18x19 BD) (I have hoops ordered for the 18x19 FT conversion... )

Last edited by phatsolid on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Phonic Plus...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:15 am 

Waaaay too cool!!! 8-) I assume that the tint differences of the 14 and 15 are due to angle and lighting. The bop set will be killer. ;) Thanks for sharing.

Roland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:59 am 

:shock: Oh man, and I know just how great those things sound. I love it. I've often wondered about turning that 18 on its side. Looking forward to a report. :D :D :D

Did all Sonor's Power heads arrive with the Remo stamp off center vis-à-vis the Sonor logo?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:37 am 

Yeah, most of the pics were taken without a flash so the 15 does look a little darker as it's in the corner. The 18x19 actually has a mahogany wrap on it. It's black underneath. It's actually not bad looking. It doesn't necessarily match the others but it's close enough for me. And I can't wait to hear how it sounds, 'cause I have a couple of 18x18" bass drums that I love.

- D.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:59 pm 

Awesome Dave. Those look badazz.
Is that 20x17 or 18? Was that the ebay kit that was up?

When you are not using them try and remove the larger toms from the stands. Over time your mounting plates will bend and crack.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:04 am 

Bass drum is 20x17". Yes, this is the ebay kit (or most of it). The seller was wrong on the BD size but I expected that, because according to Sonor there were no 20x18" Phonic or Phonic Plus, just 20x17".

Thanks for the heads-up on the mounting plates. It's cool that the floor tom mounts and the BD mounts are exactly the same, so I can move the bass drum legs right over to the 18" floor tom when needed and I'm good to go.

Finding some cymbal attachments thin enough to fit through the Phonic tom holders might be a challenge.

- David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 am 

What size are the tom holders?

BTW, nice kit...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:24 pm 

I ALWAYS liked this color... These Phonic sets are pure class - all 80s line from the SONOR factory is simply timeless... :)

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:20 pm 

Hi there, those look great. I'm not sure if you have ever followed my 18"ft conversion on the sonor museum or not but it can be very frustrating to get everything just right. I used 1.5" hoops(cut them down from 2" another mistake i made...) Let me know if you need help in a parts list.

Good luck on the conversion though! BTW are you using a cradle of bass spures?

Gary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 pm 

It's sitting on a DW cradle in the picture. Those things are crazy adjustable... too much so for me. I have two of them in case anyone is interested in a good deal.

I haven't had any problems with 18" conversions, but I actually don't mind playing an 18" BD right on the ground either. I don't need them elevated although it's cool for look, feel and projection. I'm fine just shortening the beater a bit.

I usually get my hoops from Joshua Tree Percussion. They come with a nice satin finish and seem a lot less expensive than most I see. They are $39 apiece: http://www.jtpercussion.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=35.

I'll check out your thread on TSF too...