On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HOW BIG IS YOUR KIT?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:04 pm 

Hey Ron! I, too, have always been blown away by the finish on your SQ2s! The sizes always reminded me of my maple heavy Designers(except my kit didn't have an 8" or a 14"). Every time I see the specs on your kit, as far as tom sizes and depth, I get all wistful and nostalgic! :( :oops: :lol:
I'd love to see more pics of the whole kit set up if you have any!
Oh, and welcome to the fray.. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:11 am 

I came from the Death/Thrash metal set up. From mid teens to mid 20's it was 2 kicks+, got as big as 6 racks,2 floors,2 kicks,Snare,2 Hats,9 Cymbals :shock: , looked awesome, I love looking at big kits :D .
I always had an obscure set up :roll: , Left handed for a start threw most engineers. I hated the look of a stock 5pce (set up typically), and couldn't get into the 1 rack thing, so when I finally got as low as a 5pce, I set the Toms up 2nd in 1st position and first inbetween it and hats, essentially, both toms just over a bit.Then I wanted the 2nd Tom right over the kick, and the 10 inbetween it and the hats. 20yrs of having to have everything just so :roll: .
For the first time since I was 12, I started using a 4pce kit, in an effort to stop me overplaying. I'm not the greatest player, not technical, so when I overplay, it sounds like crap :oops: . I've since added a little 6in concert Tom (my security blanket) , Hats,16+18c,Ride, 1 or 2 Splashes and a cut down 5in Splash on my hihat rod.I call it a 4pce with 4cymbals, :oops: but then theres the concert tom, and cut down splash, and extra splash :roll: '.
I'm really liking the smaller kit, but I think each to their own. I use several cymbals, several different set ups, and I enjoy swapping and using different tools for different applications.
I think the notion that 'every cymbal should Crash and Ride' is suitable for certain styles, but an absolutely ridiculous statement for sounds I want from my cymbals.
Anyways, the 11pce kit looks a little silly in a Blues/Rock band.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:57 am 

Jeff wrote:
... when I overplay, it sounds like crap :oops: .

Cheers

I imagine that if a player had musical reason for a huge kit in a blues band, that it would not look quite as funny.

Things only look odd when there is a disconnect between their function and their potential, shall we say. It looks funny when you pull out a howitzer to rid yourself of mice. It looks funny when you have a BB gun and you're staring down a Grizzly. Drummers always look funny when hidden behind a wall of drums and cymbals, but if the player is good, the wall begins to be less offensive. Though personally speaking, if I can't see the drummer, I want my money back! :lol: :evil: :lol:

We all sound "like crap" when we overplay, so no embarrassment needed! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:03 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Jeff wrote:
... when I overplay, it sounds like crap :oops: .

Cheers

I imagine that if a player had musical reason for a huge kit in a blues band, that it would not look quite as funny.

Things only look odd when there is a disconnect between their function and their potential, shall we say. It looks funny when you pull out a howitzer to rid yourself of mice. It looks funny when you have a BB gun and you're staring down a Grizzly. Drummers always look funny when hidden behind a wall of drums and cymbals, but if the player is good, the wall begins to be less offensive. Though personally speaking, if I can't see the drummer, I want my money back! :lol: :evil: :lol:

We all sound "like crap" when we overplay, so no embarrassment needed! :lol:

I think part of the reason why I had such a big kit,was, I could hide my facial expressions/concentration tongue with my cymbals. :lol: , and we were talking early 90's Thrash/Death, your kit was a phallic statement :? , or lack there of :oops: :lol: .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:51 pm 

Jeff wrote:

I think part of the reason why I had such a big kit,was, I could hide my facial expressions/concentration tongue with my cymbals. :lol: , and we were talking early 90's Thrash/Death, your kit was a phallic statement :? , or lack there of :oops: :lol: .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious, Jeff. Let your face hang out, I say! But just your face, thank you! :o :oops: :lol:

It is difficult to remember, it was so long ago, but at one time I could hardly play drums from self-consciousness on stage. Back then, I thought of a kit as a wall against scrutiny, but now some part of the way I set the kit up involves personal exposure... not so that I can be admired, but so that I can communicate - as a person - to the audience. Cymbals and drums are kept as low as possible, and high hanging cymbals, if any, are mounted to the sides.

Lord knows what an audience makes of it, but I think being a visible drummer is more interesting to an audience and makes for a more responsible drummer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:03 am 

Croyd wrote:
Hey Ron! I, too, have always been blown away by the finish on your SQ2s!

Hey Croyd!

Thank you for your comment on my SQ2's! I really am in love with them :P

How do I go about sticking pics up here? I understand my myspace link is a long road to get to them so is there a really easy way?

Thanks again

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 am 

Ron,
Go here and upload. Once you upload just copy and paste here. The link will be under the picture. Use the bottom link of the list of four they give you. Think it says "forums".
http://photobucket.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:37 am 

Should prolly post them in the "they look like this" section.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:27 am 

Kelly wrote:
Ron,
Go here and upload. Once you upload just copy and paste here. The link will be under the picture. Use the bottom link of the list of four they give you. Think it says "forums".
http://photobucket.com/

Use the the link prefaced IMG.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:09 pm 

Thanks for the help Gregory! :)

That's some pics up on the appropriate board section.

Enjoy!
:P