On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:44 pm 

SonoRon wrote:
Anyway I am aware of slight hostility towards it all from some of the members here and I apologise for mentioning it.

No hostility, I don't think. But you can read here our sheer joy at being able to express ourselves freely, without wondering what Scott's reaction might be today, without having to defend the right to think, and without having to explain what was never said in the first place, to some hothead who can't read, and whose thoughts are caught in somewhere in his short intestine. :D

Very cool on your drum shop for thinking you are crazy! :P ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:52 pm 

Gregory wrote:
barryabko wrote:
Hi All,

The new throwoff does look like it could be quite nice. From the photo it seems that there are separate tension adjustors for each half of the snare wire assembly plus an overall tension adjustment. This could be especially important if string or wire is used to hold the wire assembly versus a strap.

Barry

Hey, Barry. Welcome!

Initially I thought those were adjusters, but I doubt it. Go here http://www.muziketc.ca/en/welcome_en.aspx, click EXPAND on the right side (instead of automatically clicking the girl), under DRUMS, and look at page 23. You can enlarge that by clicking on the page, and then by zooming (COMMAND + on my computer). ) I believe those flutes are ornamental, not functional, and that they are on a fixed holder through which the two rods, connecting the top to the bottom, slide – thus the "Dual Glide System."

Hi Gregory,

Yes, I think that you are correct. The image from the Sonormuseum was lo rez and the detail was not evident. I originally thought the new throwoff was somewhat similar to the throwoff found on some Pearl orchestral snares that combine metal and gut snare wires with individual adjustability of each section.

I just ordered the realtively new DW MAG throwoff with 3 position butt plate. I intend to use it on a custom 14" x 6 1/2" x 1/2" thick bubinga stave shell that I have. The shell has 45 degree bearing edges.

Barry

Snares: Phonic Roswd 10x14 & 14x14 t-s conv, D508 8x14, D518X, Performr & 3001
6 pc Performer kit
Sig/5000 II /Phonic hrdwr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm 

barryabko wrote:

Hi Gregory,

Yes, I think that you are correct. The image from the Sonormuseum was lo rez and the detail was not evident. I originally thought the new throwoff was somewhat similar to the throwoff found on some Pearl orchestral snares that combine metal and gut snare wires with individual adjustability of each section.

I just ordered the realtively new DW MAG throwoff with 3 position butt plate. I intend to use it on a custom 14" x 6 1/2" x 1/2" thick bubinga stave shell that I have. The shell has 45 degree bearing edges.

Barry

Sounds like a great snare. I have never entertained even the notion of making my own drums, let alone set out to build one. I Googled the DW throwoff. At less than $50, and with some handsome hardware, looks like a nice piece. http://snaredrumz.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... eason.html

But why oh why does not someone make a throwoff that mirrors the simple mechanism of Sonor's faux parallel TO2 ? Too much luggage to get into standard cases?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 pm 

I honestly haven't looked at the new strainer yet but it reminded me to post pics of mine from a discussion a long time ago.
This is on a drum I bought from a drum builder, which turned out to be a favorite snare of mine and one of the best throw offs I've come across. Super smooth, super quiet, aircraft quality.
I love how it spins 180 degrees, from shell surface to shell surface.
Not great pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm 

Kelly wrote:
This is on a drum I bought from a drum builder, which turned out to be a favorite snare of mine and one of the best throw offs I've come across. Super smooth, super quiet, aircraft quality.
I love how it spins 180 degrees, from shell surface to shell surface.

Hi Kelly,

I'm pretty sure that's a Dunnett throwoff. I've never used one but it's supposed to be very high quality.

Barry

6 pc Performer kit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:04 pm 

That looks pretty sweet Kelly :) what snare is it on?

I went for a dunnett throw on my custom walnut drum that I posted here a while back. I love it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:06 pm 

Awesome. I had no idea.
Precision, Precision, precision, superb quality. I was shocked when I got it..

K...scanning through Sonor's new line I see "Vintage Maple shells". Is that correct? They don't have support rings do they?

Edit: Ron, it is on this thick Maple shelled, 14 x 6.5 finished in high gloss Bubinga. Turned out to be more than I ever expected. It's my go-to, stole it off Ebay. The guy had it listed for 800, claiming it was much more to build. I let the auction go through and wrote him. Ended up getting it for 250.

Edit again: Took a tape measure to it, looking through the clear reso head, it's 1/4" thick shell.
Actually Ron, I'm quite sure it is the snare in at least most of my videos. Well, the Signia Walnut video's anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:16 pm 

Gregory wrote:
But why oh why does not someone make a throwoff that mirrors the simple mechanism of Sonor's faux parallel TO2 ?

That's a very good throwoff. I have it on several of my Sonor snares. Tama, Yamaha and some others have/had similar throwoffs. The advantage is that you can use extended snare wires.

As an alternative, you can add the roller mechanism (correctly positioned on the shell) to any throwoff to provide for extended snare wires.

Barry

6 pc Performer kit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:41 pm 

barryabko wrote:
Gregory wrote:
But why oh why does not someone make a throwoff that mirrors the simple mechanism of Sonor's faux parallel TO2 ?

That's a very good throwoff. I have it on several of my Sonor snares. Tama, Yamaha and some others have/had similar throwoffs. The advantage is that you can use extended snare wires.

As an alternative, you can add the roller mechanism (correctly positioned on the shell) to any throwoff to provide for extended snare wires.

Barry

Yes! And you find the roller mechanism where? Please don't say on discarded Phonics and Lites. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:54 pm 

Gregory wrote:
SonoRon wrote:
Anyway I am aware of slight hostility towards it all from some of the members here and I apologise for mentioning it.

No hostility, I don't think. But you can read here our sheer joy at being able to express ourselves freely, without wondering what Scott's reaction might be today, without having to defend the right to think, and without having to explain what was never said in the first place, to some hothead who can't read, and whose thoughts are caught in somewhere in his short intestine. :D

Very cool on your drum shop for thinking you are crazy! :P ;)

I sense the hostility too :cry: , I prefer not to read the constant Museum bashing that goes on here. Probably why I don't post very often.
I think the main differences between the 2 forums are that one is like being at your local football club, drinkin beers with a bunch of knuckle scraping bafoons, and the other is more like a mothers club, where you bitch about the bafoons.
Unfortunately, I think I feel more at home with the bafoons :oops: .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next