On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ALMOST...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 am 

Gregory wrote:
Reserves have worked, traditionally, at auctions where people are present, where the excitement of the event and competition between bidders could be depended on to raise the price. A reserve was the failsafe mechanism. An online auction, particularly in this economy, misses all that. I agree with you; when I see a reserve, it does not encourage me to bid. Why not just start the auction at your reserve and see if anyone grabs? Perhaps that wouldn't be sharp enough practice.

Worked out for me this time. Although the reserve wasn't met, I was high bidder and he sent me a second chance offer. Got her for $510.

Gotta agree about that seam though.....not the best place for it for sure. Maybe why I got it for that price and the interest wasn't as high as it might have been. Can't wait to hear it though, probably nice & beefy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:08 am 

Atomic Rooster wrote:
Gregory wrote:
Reserves have worked...

Worked out for me this time. Although the reserve wasn't met, I was high bidder and he sent me a second chance offer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not supposed to work for you. Congratulations on the get! Certainly a good price, and the seam won't appear in the sound. :P Actually, I have a feeling that the seam will be much less apparent in person; a more dispersed lighting will probably go a long way toward softening the appearance.

Somebody at the factory must be responsible for that particular aesthetic choice. I wonder what the primary criteria is, if not badge placement. I know that a few of the old guys are still working there, but surely, when Link bowed out, a lot of accumulated knowledge must have departed about then, and since.

I watched that ProLite video, where a black-and-white tribal shell is about to be formed in the press. I don't expect folks who don't have woodworking experience to sympathize, but watching that guy use that engineered veneer made my heart hurt for him. Not that he very likely cared.

Why are those goofy veneers called "tribal"? Try unpacking that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:56 am 

Gregory wrote:
It's not supposed to work for you. Congratulations on the get! Certainly a good price, and the seam won't appear in the sound. :P Actually, I have a feeling that the seam will be much less apparent in person; a more dispersed lighting will probably go a long way toward softening the appearance.

Thanks Gregory! Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking/hoping. Funny what jumps out at you when you put a flash on that bubinga. When it arrives, I'll have to post a pic without the flash and see if it looks any better. :D

Found it interesting that it has a screw-on badge. With the heavies being offered early on in production, seems like every MH drum I've run across have had a stick-on badge.