On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm 

Checking my 8 deep Designer snare today, snare head tuned to 45 on the Drumdial.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wondering why it didn't sound better. Didn't know it would even register at 45. When you get sick, I know the laws of physics have a debilitating effect on the direction that food travels, but do they alter?

Post subject: Marshmallows...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Checking my 8 deep Designer snare today, snare head tuned to 45 on the Drumdial.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wondering why it didn't sound better. Didn't know it would even register at 45. When you get sick, I know the laws of physics have a debilitating effect on the direction that food travels, but do they alter?

So...

...all we know for sure is that the Lite snare sounds better than a marshmallow, eh?
:? :lol:

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 pm 

Is this the snare side or batter? 45 is LOOOOOOOOW.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:47 am 

Snare head, Greg.

I have been trying to reconstruct what I did with that drum, but cannot. I feel like I got sick and then came back to an alternative universe. It is what it is.

Post subject: Re: Marshmallows...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 am 

cliff wrote:
Gregory wrote:

...all we know for sure is that the Lite snare sounds better than a marshmallow, eh?[/color] :? :lol:

We do know that. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:11 pm 

Something is completely haywire. My other Designer snare side head is set at 57, and they both have DrumDial tracks all over them. :? :? :?

There's only two possible explanations; either I tuned them way down, which is more than unlikely, or else the DrumDial was completely askew when I tensioned them, which is equally unlikely, particularly since I can tell by ear that they're both wrong.

No one else has been tuning them. Only other thing I can think is that over the past year the heads stretched that much, but I've never experienced anything like that. Dry air in Winter causing shell shrinkage? But then the batter heads ought to have lost tension as well, and they haven't.

Post subject: only two...?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Something is completely haywire. My other Designer snare side head is set at 57, and they both have DrumDial tracks all over them. :? :? :?

There's only two possible explanations; either I tuned them way down, which is more than unlikely, or else the DrumDial was completely askew when I tensioned them, which is equally unlikely, particularly since I can tell by ear that they're both wrong.

No one else has been tuning them. Only other thing I can think is that over the past year the heads stretched that much, but I've never experienced anything like that. Dry air in Winter causing shell shrinkage? But then the batter heads ought to have lost tension as well, and they haven't.

Hell, you didn't even make it to the end of the next paragraph before you started challenging yourself on the 'only two possible explanations' theory. :?

I have seen a degree of snare side stretch in new heads, but not so much. I have not seen so much after the initial strech / re-adjust, no matter how long the drum sits.

You sure the dial is not out of calibration?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

Post subject: Re: only two...?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 pm 

cliff wrote:
Hell, you didn't even make it to the end of the next paragraph before you started challenging yourself on the 'only two possible explanations' theory. :?

Yup. It's enough to make me doubt my sanity. There are an infinite number of possibilities, once the reasonable ones are set aside; for instance, I may have left the drums in the freezer one day. Or cooked them in the oven. Really, I have no answer; in fifty years owning drums, never had this experience.

cliff wrote:
I have seen a degree of snare side stretch in new heads, but not so much. I have not seen so much after the initial strech / re-adjust, no matter how long the drum sits.

Heads are original Sonor.

cliff wrote:
You sure the dial is not out of calibration?

Thought I'd covered that back in the first "only two possible[s]."