On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 am 

Very interesting string. For those of you who are late to the party, a quick recap:

• Greg does not understand jazz
• Ron explains jazz
• Cliff thinks there might be more to it
• Ron agrees
• April Fool’s Day drags a few red herrings across the trail
• An inquiry as to what specific jazz drummers confuse Greg
• ‘All except sleeping ones’
• Ron explains rock drumming
• New verbs created, and put to immediate use in accusations and denials ‘snarking’ (is this ‘language jazz’?)
• Jeff expresses an affinity for rock drumming, and is unchallenged. Perhaps snarks fear (or respect) Australians?
• Kelly likes rock, too. Endorses use of drums therein.
• Opportunities to play in a vacuum are briefly discussed
• A pig bath
• Ron provides a link to a clever insult
• Kelly admits to having no opinion on jazz and borrows one to post
• Ron objects to the notion that anyone should use more than one sentence to express or expand upon a conflicting opinion.
• Big ol’ trees are tossed around
• Yahoos are defined. Ron reiterates his disdain for pedantry. One sentence would have been enough, if it were anyone ele.
• Jeff observes that opinions can vary. Still, no one attacks this guy – why not?
• Unless Kelly has borrowed another opinion on jazz, he has formed a definitive one in the last few days.
• Ron disagree and expresses some definitive opinions on Kelly; more than one sentence.
• String may not be about understanding jazz any more.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

Last edited by cliff on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:23 am 

cliff wrote:
Very interesting string. For those of you who are late to the party, a quick recap:

• Greg does not understand jazz
• Ron explains jazz
• Cliff thinks there might be more to it
• Ron agrees
• April Fool’s Day drags a few red herrings across the trail
• An inquiry as to what specific jazz drummers confuse Greg
• ‘All except sleeping ones’
• Ron explains of rock drumming
• New verbs created, and put to immediate use in accusations and denials ‘snarking’ (is this ‘language jazz’?)
• Jeff expresses an affinity for rock drumming, and is unchallenged. Perhaps snarks fear (or respect) Australians?
• Kelly likes rock, too. Endorses use of drums therein.
• Opportunities to play in a vacuum are briefly discussed
• A pig bath
• Ron provides a link to a clever insult
• Kelly admits to having no opinion on jazz and borrows one to post
• Ron objects to the notion that anyone should use more than one sentence to express or expand upon a conflicting opinion.
• Big ol’ trees are tossed around
• Yahoos are defined. Ron reiterates his disdain for pedantry. One sentence would have been enough, if it were anyone ele.
• Jeff observes that opinions can vary. Still, no one attacks this guy – why not?
• Unless Kelly has borrowed another opinion on jazz, he has formed a definitive one in the last few days.
• Ron disagree and expresses some definitive opinions on Kelly; more than one sentence.
• String may not be about understanding jazz any more.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, Jeff. Are you feeling left out?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 am 

Thanks for recapping Cliff. Feel sorry for anyone that has to read through the whole thing.

Actually I still have no opinion on jazz. Might possibly have formed one on those that defend it :D
Royal fell so wonderfully easy into the trap that I fear he might not come back and try and insult me again. Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:39 pm 

I learned something about playing jazz, whether I like it or not, and whether I ever learn it well enough to be able to play it... or not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:20 pm 

Cliff, you forgot about the minor drug references earlier in the discussion. I have been trying to stay out of this, since my own feelings about jazz are still suspect. I finally understand bebop, took me long enough, i would be willing to play it if I had some other guys in the room but not alone. Jeff Likes big kick drums and probably can't feel like a man without one (ohh the big insult, someone had to sling it. too bad he showed us pictures of his little wussy cocktail set) I bought an 18" kick drum and don't use it for jazz. This whole thing has made me realize I really ever only liked to play big band jazz, because it was like playing rock with a really big ass band, and it is loud.
Kelly might not like jazz musicians because the only ones he ever met treated him like a dick.

I have a K Constantinople medium thin for sale, I'm done with light feathery cymbals, going back to my heavy rides.
I am going to go shed on Time Out because it sounds like Rush :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:31 pm 

I don't think this should have been a "personal message".
I need some help with some of it.
What is "smarmy". Sounds like something I shouldn't be happy about. Can't be good.
And what is self-satisfied. Is that like masturbation?

Quote:
I've had it with the smug, smarmy, self-satisfied Kelly. You and he can both take a leap off your tower of Sonors, since it's obvious you've nothing better to do with them.
I'm sick & tired of you small-time, terminally boring, insular Sonorholes.
You can't give me the boot, I QUIT!
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 pm 

Tim,
LMAO.
I still really don't dislike him. Wish he would get some peace in his life.
Or maybe a Sonor kit. I think that might be what's behind the whole thing.
Hell we could have all just chipped in. Didn't have to come to this.

Can't believe he actually put his name at that bottom of that. I was quite sure who wrote it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:41 pm 

I actually wasn't referring to Ron as one who treated you like a dick, I meant face to face encounters.
Did he really just up and leave over this jabfest? I thought everyone was having a good laugh, I was.
i think we need a "we are a bunch of really sarcastic mofo's " disclaimer in the sign up process.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 pm 

I also take offense at this whole sonorhole thing
I am a sonoyamaludwigretchhole with zildjians on top :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Quote:
I've had it with the smug, smarmy, self-satisfied Kelly. You and he can both take a leap off your tower of Sonors, since it's obvious you've nothing better to do with them.
I'm sick & tired of you small-time, terminally boring, insular Sonorholes.
You can't give me the boot, I QUIT!
Ron

If we're so terminally boring, why was he here in the first place and why did he keep coming back? :? :roll: :lol: An old adage about glass houses and rocks springs to mind here. I tried to stay out of it too, because well, if you ain't got nothin' nice to say... ;) :lol: :lol:

Okay, I'm gonna go back to bein the rambunctious rah rah guy now!! :P :roll: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next