On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tune-bot
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:42 am 

SonoRon wrote:
I'd love to try one of these before I stick my hand in my pocket.

You're not really here for the hunting, are you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:55 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant Gregory brilliant! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:38 am 

Anybody had a chance to actually try one of these properly yet? After reading a few glowing reviews online i'd love to hear a review from somebody I trust. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 am 

SonoRon wrote:
Anybody had a chance to actually try one of these properly yet? After reading a few glowing reviews online i'd love to hear a review from somebody I trust. :)

...and we were hoping it was going to be you. 8-)

Kidding aside,Ron, see SamF's post earlier in the string. Sam is a mature, intelligent guy, whose logic and judgment I would rely on.

i am not sure how often Sam checks in, but he is very helpful in offline inquiries as well.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 am 

SamF wrote:
I think Cliff was right...

cliff wrote:
Sam is a mature, intelligent guy, whose logic and judgment I would rely on.

... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:21 am 

cliff wrote:
see SamF's post earlier in the string

Wow I have just realised it may have sounded like I did not trust samF's review! :roll: What a tool I am! Did not mean it to come across like that at all. Sorry sam!!! Was just interested to find out if anybody else had any experience with one yet. I am becoming more and more tempted to give it a try but keep hearing teething problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:21 am 

Hey Ron,

I did not mean to suggest anything like that.

Funny thing was, I originally wrote that reply stating that I think Sam has commented somewhere on having experience with this tool, and subsequently realized that it was earlier in this very string, so don't feel bad.
;)

River City Trio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:22 pm 

cliff wrote:
I did not mean to suggest anything like that.

Hey Cliff,

Sorry I did not mean that you suggested it at all :lol: After reading the whole thing I just did not want it to come across badly towards anybody as If I had ignored samF's review or anything.

Anyway all cleared up :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:26 am 

Ron,

Hope this helps. I have one and it works very well. All the you tube vids of people claiming it does not work well is because IMHO they did not know how to use it. This again IMHO was due to the poor quality of instructions that come with it and the video on the makers web site. I had trouble with it in the beginning as well.

The web site was update with clear instruction and samples of tunings with differant size sets. I took my time read the updated info and tuned up my set and it worked very well. I have a drum dial and quickly got my heads dialed in with tension then used the tune bot to do a final tuning. The drum dial reads tension but the tune bot does freq. As a tool both work well together. There are so many things that come into play that the drum dial can't overcome. Slight variation in head thickness, collars, coating, hoops and edges come into play. Just because tension is the same does not mean pitch will be the same from lug to lug. That is what the tune bot will detect and let you dial in. Once done you will see tension will change slightly from lug to lug but the sound is equal if that makes sense.

If you take your time your set will drop right in and it does make a difference . I am a hobby drummer not a pro or music major. To be very honest when guys talk about tuning in 3rds and so on I am lost. For me this tool made understanding those things easy for me to do. If my budget were tight do I really need it to tune my drums to sound good my answer is no. If I have some extra money to spend on a tool that can be added to help me dial them in quicker and sound the best then I will look into it. I tried it, it worked and is helpful.

Also Cliff was being to kind about my mature nature. While I appreciate his kind words I lean more towards a sense of humor guy. I take nothing personal and love a good laugh like Greg's response.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:46 am 

SamF wrote:
...There are so many things that come into play that the drum dial can't overcome. Slight variation in head thickness, collars, coating, hoops and edges come into play. Just because tension is the same does not mean pitch will be the same from lug to lug. That is what the tune bot will detect and let you dial in. Once done you will see tension will change slightly from lug to lug but the sound is equal if that makes sense....

Hey Sam,

Very good assessment of both the usefulness and the limitation of the Drum Dial.

Also very cool that the bot has helped with tuning in intervals.

As always, good to see you Sam.
;)

River City Trio

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next