On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:32 am 

Thanks Greg, yes it held up ok today, a few niggles but much better than before taking it apart. My felt part fell off years ago and the rubber shock absorber could do with replacing. I do like this pedal a lot when it's working properly, I also have a DW5000 which is a great design and very reliable, it just seems sturdier that the 600 - but somehow the 600 feels better...it also looks better next to the GS pedals lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:13 pm 

The reason I mention the felt is because it may well assist in arresting the upward motion of the locknut before it (locknut) thuds against the base at the end of travel. It shouldn't affect the initial feel, I shouldn't think. Got a query in to Gerd about the price of the the rubber and felt and chain assembly, although who ever wears out one of those chains, and who wants to pay for the chain when all you need is a blob of rubber and a shred of felt? :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:48 pm 

Wrong about the oil: Grease. Looks to be a normal axel grease applied to the spring, to keep it from squeaking against the spring housing, and probably to lube the lower spring housing bushing. The felt under the base exists to stop the downward flow of of liquified grease that escapes through the spring housing bushing, and probably to help keep the goo away from the rubber stop, just underneath. Of course with a bit of time the goo infiltrates the felt and reaches the rubber. The rubber gets soft enough to allow the locknut on the shaft to hit the base, creating a thunk, as I said before.

I disassembled , put some new grease on the outside of the spring, cleaned the bits of felt out of all the places it had wandered, cut a new 5mm thick felt, hole punched it, and reassembled everything, using a 14mm wrench to hold the upper chain block in place while cinching down on the locknut with a 10mm (if you don't center the block , the chain and pedal will be adding a torsion force to the downward motion of the shaft, holding it more tightly against the spring housing lower bushing). Works just like new. Not sure what was slowing the return; maybe bits of felt getting caught in the passages, but whatever it was has stopped. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:12 pm 

It's funny that in all these years i'd never opened up a hi hat stand, the felt idea sounds good I have some lying around so may give it a go. will be monitoring its performance over the next few days!
What was Gerd's reply out of interest?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:35 pm 

percusski wrote:
It's funny that in all these years i'd never opened up a hi hat stand...

Why should you have to? My Signature stand never has been, and it's almost 30 years old.
percusski wrote:

It's Sunday. :|

Still wondering when your footboard developed independence?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 pm 

Ha ha, good answer!
Not too sure, I bought the stand used and it's done it for as long as I can remember, as it stays in the studio it's never been a problem, just the lag issue that has become a nuisance otherwise dont notice it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:42 pm 

I'm interested to hear what might happen: Fold the legs up completely. Compress the pedal so that the footboard can pass beneath the rubber feet then, holding the central tube stationary with one hand, spin the footboard 360º around its axis. I'm hoping that there's a hidden detent that will capture the plastic bushing and locate the footboard in a singular position. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:34 pm 

percusski wrote:

18€

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:53 pm 

ha ha for essentially a piece of felt and a rubber stopper?
I tried the swivel technique today Greg, no luck whatsoever...in fact now everything below the brass(?) threaded tension screw adjuster on the central shaft will slide off given half a chance - folding the legs up forces everything lower off the stand - I can only guess that some strong metal adhesive was applied on the inside of the black top of the base unit to secure it - seems daft to me though, but clearly that is how it was originally assembled...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 pm 

percusski wrote:
ha ha for essentially a piece of felt and a rubber stopper?
I tried the swivel technique today Greg, no luck whatsoever...in fact now everything below the brass(?) threaded tension screw adjuster on the central shaft will slide off given half a chance - folding the legs up forces everything lower off the stand - I can only guess that some strong metal adhesive was applied on the inside of the black top of the base unit to secure it - seems daft to me though, but clearly that is how it was originally assembled...

I suppose. The cymbal seat at the top appears to be glued in place, but it doesn't have any torque applied to it the way the footboard would. :|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next