On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am 

Designer

EQ4 batter 67-68
Fiberskyn reso 72

I don't measure those often - usually set the batter where tone begins to appear, then tune the reso to suit the room, but those are starting numbers, and where the Designer is currently set.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 am 

Hey Goki,

I do not have any experience with S Classix, so please take any of the thoughts that follow through that filter.

• Birch is already relatively more pronounced in highs than other shells. An Ambassador batter, with none of the edge damping of the PS3 or EQ4 would seem to be the first thing to change. Let’s kill some of the high frequency harmonics emanating from the outer edges.

• Translate what you know about every other drum you have to the kick. Complexity (more harmonics) reside outside of the center; strikes to the outer edges increase the volume of the high frequency harmonics. Get the beater close to the center to at least establish a reference point to compare other, more eccentric strike points to.

• Get a single ply, un-damped head on the resonant side. It is not being struck – let it move as much as possible to push long, low frequency waves.

• DD readings seem high. I do not recall mine, but I do know that both sides are at about the lowest reading that I can get consistently around the drum. My walnut roots Designer kit is stacked in cases by the door. I will try to make time this weekend to pull it out and get some DD readings from the EQ4 / Fiberskyn Ambassador combination, for whatever they may be worth when applied to S Classix.

• Nick makes a good point about acoustics and listening position. Don’t know your situation, but I assume you are listening in a place that you have a 22” benchmark for.

• What are you using for a beater?

• What are you using, if anything for a beater patch?

Good luck getting this dialed in.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:52 am 

Looks like Greg and I were drafting at the same time.

His DD numbers look about right to me.

Greg, is this about the lowest consistent numbers you can get?

River City Trio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 am 

Are you asking if I can get lower numbers consistently around the head, Cliff? The reso can surely go lower, but I find that tuned lower it does not necessarily sound lower in pitch, which perhaps means it is not resonating well below that frequency. Since I don't often use the DD on the kick, those numbers fall simply where the bass drum resonates in itself and with the kit in a way I like.

The Gretsch batter is tuned a bit lower, but until this moment I had not measured it, and readings are between 64 and 69: part of the joy of a bass drum with the old style T handle rods that get knocked about when carrying. The reso is more consistent because I check it by ear, and is tuned at 75, higher than I like the Designer. I suspect that is because the smallest Gretsch tom is 14". The Gretsch kick tuning can go up or down without suffering.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:23 pm 

You guys using the tuning dials, do you tune the drums first by ear then check settings or do you tune by numbers?
I think with smaller bass drums (i've got a 20 and a converted 16 floor tom) like Greg says, i'd just go for tone over low end - the great thing about 20s is that they can do both - go quite low but also get great tone.
I would say tune the drum in the centre of a room if it's a smaller room rather than up against a wall, if it's a bigger room aim it into a corner from around 7-10 feet, also get someone else to play it so you can get a perspective from at least 10 feet away. Two single ply heads should sound awesome on an 18 maybe with no dampening whatsoever...if there is a twang just add a felt strip.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:51 pm 

percusski wrote:
You guys using the tuning dials, do you tune the drums first by ear then check settings or do you tune by numbers?

When reheading the toms I always go to the numbers first, then check by ear. Rest of the time it depends; if they're starting to get whacky, I pull out the dial. On the bass, I don't often use the DD. Most of the time the kick is at the wrong angle anyway.

Goki, was just talking to Cliff. I didn't read your post very clearly. I guess I should ask what sound you are looking for, but whatever sound it may be, I don't think the PS3 is a good reso head, unless you really like fast decay, but a reso that resonates less than a batter is an inversion of the usual system.

The clear PS3 is an excellent batter head, particularly on the birch Classix, and I always tuned it low, providing more thud than tone. The tone is mostly going to come from your reso, and I prefer the slight muting provided by a Fiberskyn with no felt damping. If that's too lively, try the felt strip. An Ambassador or G1 reso would probably need a felt.

I spent a lot of time trying many heads on the 22 Classix. Really did not like the PS3 on the reso.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:43 pm 

percusski wrote:
You guys using the tuning dials, do you tune the drums first by ear then check settings or do you tune by numbers?...

Hey Nick,

Drum dials are just a means to an end, and the end is the desired tuning rather than a desired reading.

If the drum is round, bearing edges are good, head is consistent, you can almost tune by numbers (if you know the readings that correspond to the desired tuning).

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:24 am 

I lowered the patch (REMO, came with the SONOR head) for an inch, and the tone is immediately different.
More lows, and the rattle is almost gone..

Success. I hope I'll have the time to play with the drum tuning this upcoming week, since I'll be using part of my vacation... No work duties - GREAT... :D :D :D :D :D

Let the good drums roll!!!