On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does size matter?.....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:21 am 

Hey everybody! Hope your all well :)

This is my second time writing this as my first attempt was lost due to my internet connection going down! I doubt it will be as well put together now as I'm annoyed at having to write it twice! :lol:

Just wondering how different sound is from lets say a 22" kick to a 20" kick both being lets say 18" deep? Having briefly spoken to Florian Alexandru-Zorn at a clinic here in Scotland he told me that he only uses an 18" kick because he likes his entire setup to be nice and low so he is looking down on everything. I did not get the time to get him to take it further but he did mention that his 18" kick setup can sound just as good as a 22". Is this possible?? If so why are more people not using smaller kicks for ease of transport and tighter setups? Having looked into getting shallower toms for my SQ2 setup quite a few times (Square sizes makes setup very difficult!) I'm now wondering if a smaller kick would be better....Can't imagine an 18" kick below square sized 10 and 12" toms!

Anyway any thoughts or anybody here who has experienced these sizes of kicks who has an opinion on sound differences? I would be interested in your thoughts.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:02 am 

Hey Ron,

It sure is frustrating to carefully compose a post and then lose it! Anything more than a one or two sentence comment, I’ll draft in Word, then cut & paste. I have lost too many posts in the past to post ‘live’ any more.

Except for my very first kit (in my grammar school days), which was a 22”, I have never played anything larger than a 20”. These days I play 18”s most of the time, but I am also playing more jazz and less rock than I used to.

While not the real motivation, but I do sit low, and I do appreciate the ergonomic benefit of smaller kicks and generally lower set-up. I also keep cymbals fairly low. I have never been able to see any benefit in reaching high for cymbals. I have always suspected that many set-up decisions were made early on based on some combination of idol emulation and perceived ‘cool’, and have become habit.

Sonically, in a rock environment, I never feel disadvantaged with a properly mic’ed 20” kick, and sometimes feel it for be an advantage. Played without burying the beater, a 20” can sound as big as I need it to sound, and can still respond quickly enough to be played quickly. Big bass drums get slower, hence lose definition when played quickly. I have never understood the thinking behind large kicks with double pedals, for just that reason. It makes rumble and mud.

Any drum chokes up when played too hard. I can’t help but think that your size square toms with a small kick would be something of a sonic mismatch, at least in an unmic’ed live environment. It might be asking a lot from an 18” kick to keep up with large square toms, and it might be a challenge to balance dynamics. I know that for me personally, I was not able to see Signatures as a viable jazz kit, with an 18” kick, until I cut down the 12”x 12” to a 12”x 10” to see that the response could be improved from what the 12”x 12” offered

For what it is worth as reference, any sound clip I have posted on this site was made with an 18" kick, and anything I had ever put on the museum was either 18" or 20".

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:11 am 

SonoRon wrote:
Can't imagine an 18" kick below square sized 10 and 12" toms!

:)

What's wrong with that?!?

Ron - in my personal experience, I like having the 22" bass drum, but I find that I can cover any outdoor gig with the 18"x16" bd. From funk, blues, jazz - to latin and rock. Only if I wanna rock harder, or play with 2 guitars and tons of pedals, I need a massive and slow bass drum sound. But I think that can also be achieved with an 18" bd and a great PA system. And a 22" bd will only be played on a big stage...

So, bottom line - an 18" bd can sound just as good as a 22", if properly micd and with the right choice of heads. If the drummer is comfortable playing it - then only the sky is the limit!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:09 am 

All else being equal, there is no substitute for cubic inches. But much to my surprise, once you introduce a mic into the bass drum it no longer seems to matter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 am 

My wife says no, but does so with a snicker... :oops: :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:38 pm 

Well an 8" tom will never sound like a 12" miced or otherwise...I love the sound of a 22 but also like a compact set, what's frustrating for me is not being able to mount my 12x10 on the bass drum as it ends up too high! A 20" works much better in this respect and also has tone and bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:11 am 

Thank you all so much for your thoughts on this. I think I will have to try a smaller kick and make my own judgement on it. Anybody fancy inviting me over and paying my flights? :lol: I'll bring the whisky!
I bought an Evans EMAD head last month for my designer kick and ordered the single ply by mistake. WOW what a difference in sound! It is so much weaker and generally loose sounding than the 2 ply version. I really don't like it at all. New 2 ply one on it's way! Anybody else found this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:32 pm 

Yes have tried the emad, but don't like two ply bass heads, the single emad was nice though, but coated PS3 is the way to go, got tone and bottom...one of the worst has to be the Superkick - there's a really bad tone (boingy sound) produced by these.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:01 pm 

My thoughts exactly Greg.

I think Ron, with your toms, you need to try a 20x20.
My gut tells me that is the perfect size kick.
We've talked about it plenty of times before and not without some frustration but depth is equally as important.
I will take a 20x18 over a 22x16 anyday.
I need that "kick drum" sound/feel whether mic'd or no. And Mic'd, I still hear and feel whats going on behind the kit.
I do keep in mind a lot of guys here are jazz guys and I know 18's are preferred. It is not a world that I have entered but I am aware it's common among the jazz masses.
It's got to feel, sound and look right "all by myself". Just because it's going to sound huge in a club doesn't mean I want to be playing it in my basement.
I think a 20x18 or a 20x20 would be all that for your kit. They can sound big, quick noted and lower your toms.
I can't go as low with my toms as a lot of people do. My stroke is just not made for it. I tend to lose too much attack and volume beyond a certain point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:51 am 

20" kick drums are just so versatile. I choose a 20" BD for almost everything, except small group jazz stuff.

I have an 18x18 kick and an 18x24 (depth) kick too. Both sound very good, with depth, and can thump. But no matter how great they sound, they can't get the sound of a 20x18" kick. They just don't have the low end. I find the difference between a 20" and 22" is more subtle.

- D.