On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm 

Quote:
Does playing in a church band also require saying, "Yes"?

If you say no, then you are at the risk of playing someone else's garage band drums. I always took the road of using my kit, even knowing others would be playing it.

Cliff, I have played hundreds of churches. Thicker heads are almost mandatory in 95 percent of them. Mainly for control.
In most, the first row of the audience is most likely less than a few feet away from you. Also, the general design of most churches are one giant echo chamber.
The bigger and more packed churches do a lot for absorbing sound.
A lot of churches that I didn't need to bring my kit, provided an electronic kit. Most churches are scared to death of acoustic drums. Because too often a 17 year old who knows nothing about working the sound of a drum kit is behind them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:35 pm 

Kelly wrote:
...Cliff, I have played hundreds of churches. Thicker heads are almost mandatory in 95 percent of them. Mainly for control.
In most, the first row of the audience is most likely less than a few feet away from you. Also, the general design of most churches are one giant echo chamber...

I defer to those with experience on this one; only making the point that there was an often overlooked 'in-between step' that has been available for a few years, as opposed to the 4 mil leap from 10 to 14.

Based on Kelly's experince and observations, Roland might also consider going a step further and trying the EC1, which is the 14 mil single ply with edge damping.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:44 pm 

I love single ply heads in the church I play in, because they are so responsive and the room brings out every nuance, but it requires great restraint and finger strokes, and a flat ride to produce a good meld.