On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SONOR ON A BAD DAY
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 pm 

Good point.

Would have been nicer yet if this engineering had been done with CAD.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 am 

Gregory,

I found this exact problem with my 12" designer tom when messing about with the tom mount system last year. The rubber was distorted in the hole through the shell like you describe and after seating it properly and actually replacing the rubber parts with new ones the tom now sings like it never did. I was never happy with that tom and now the kit is just amazing. Still looking for a designer kit in walnut finish as it was the first designer kit I ever laid eyes on in the 90's and still to this day remember how it affected me. I was not even a drummer at that point! Designer drums just have something special..........

Hope everybody is well! it's been a while since I was here! I've moved house since then and have my own drum room materialising as we speak (New carpet being fitted right now!) No neighbours attached so it's going to be amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 am 

First, Ron, great to hear from you. Was wondering where you have been. Second, ain't it great to live where you won't bug your neighbors with your drums? I've lived in places where sound went through the walls and out on the street, and I could barely bring myself to practice. Congrats on the move!

Did you discover why did your lugs collapsed the rubbers? What size is your 12? Have we seen photos of your Designer kit?

My tom, too, sounds much better than it has since I've owned it; it seems to adapt to a greater range of tuning with very minor adjustments. The forces that were acting against the hoops and shells must have had some damping effect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 pm 

SonoRon wrote:
Hope everybody is well! it's been a while since I was here! I've moved house since then and have my own drum room materialising as we speak (New carpet being fitted right now!) No neighbours attached so it's going to be amazing!

Hey Ron,

Good to see you!

Moving is never fun, but it's gotta be nice to have some dedicated practice space. ;)

Congratulations on the move.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:32 am 

Thanks guys the house is amazing and we both adore it! Loads to be done but enjoying watching it transform into the perfect house :D

On the subject of my 12" tom. Where the rubber grommet slides into the shell stopping metal to wood contact it has not been inserted properly and some of the rubber had been 'bunched up' and not passed into the whole in the shell at all causing the lug to sit at a slight angle. I could have used the existing rubber part but installed a new one to be sure it was perfect. Rebuilt the tom and it went from being dark, dull and lifeless to singing and a nice full resonance. I checked my 10" tom and it had one that was like this too and it is from a later production and was an add on. Did I not post pictures of my designer kit when I first got it?? Sorry guys! :?

Will have a look and see if I can find any good pics of it for you all soon.

Thanks again for your kind words on my new house!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:18 am 

SonoRon wrote:
...some of the rubber had been 'bunched up'... causing the lug to sit at a slight angle.

After working with 24 lug to shell assemblies, it's easy to see how that might happen, but knowing that, I sure would be checking my work. :P (yup, I'm bitter).

No, no pictures of your Designer kit that I could find. Love to see some. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:43 am 

As I remember from the video, what the worker does is it tensions each screw on the lug to max.

I believe this is what causes the problems. When I tension any lugs (not on drums) with 2 screws, I must insert them both and tighten them a bit, and THEN tighten them fully.
Otherwise, there's always a distortion and stress on the lug...

Ron - a new house?!? GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:10 pm 

Thanks Goki!!! It's amazing! Check out the pics I just posted.
Will look out some designer pics next time I'm at the computer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:52 pm 

Goki wrote:
As I remember from the video, what the worker does is it tensions each screw on the lug to max.

I believe this is what causes the problems. When I tension any lugs (not on drums) with 2 screws, I must insert them both and tighten them a bit, and THEN tighten them fully.
Otherwise, there's always a distortion and stress on the lug...

Given the small amount of torque on the lug screws, that would only become a problem if the rubber bushings were not seated when the screws were applied, in which case the torque would then be measured against the resistance of folded rubber. I was very careful about equal torque and seating of the lugs when I rebuilt the drum the first time, only to see the lugs begin to wander again in a couple of days.