On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: One hand rolls...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:17 am 

http://youtu.be/bHDjGtj18X0

This is terrific.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:57 am 

Hey, Kel, you GOOGLED brushes! :lol:

Remarkably gifted. He's got a magnitude over me in the way of physical dexterity and chops. Still, I wonder what it's all about. After being suitably impressed, my attention was already flagging when he stood up, did nothing I could see or hear that required standing, and then sat back down. I drifted.

Okay, so he's only 16 years old. And what God given ability! But what's he going to do with it? I wish I had a fraction of that crazy speed and coordination. Is it just drum solos, or is it a Youtube culture that no longer knows how to communicate with an audience? And, as if more proof was needed that the mechanics take precedence over content, if I see one more inset box of someone's foot... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kudos on him for doing the work required to get where he is. I'm sure he's done a lot of practice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm 

give that kid a 4 piece, a couple of cymbals and any stax record and see if he can keep up.....
I must be showing my age :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:56 pm 

tim wrote:
give that kid a 4 piece, a couple of cymbals and any stax record and see if he can keep up.....
I must be showing my age :lol:

...and some of mine, too! :?

Kidding aside, The kid has some good chops and some good ideas, and I would have been more impressed yet, without the theatrics.

I agree with Greg and Tim that it would be interesting to see how the talent fits nto a musical environment, and with a little less expansive set-up.

Thanks for posting, Kelly.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:25 am 

In the land of the internet and youtube videos, theatrics is part of the game now.
Going by the amount of views, positive comments, and crowd response, the winning of a "drum off", you would be in the minority.
Nothing wrong with that either.

And as far as that world goes, overall I enjoy this video. I like the sound of the kit, I like him playing off that beat. I don't mind the twirling though a bit excessive here, fast rolls around the kit I can do without....again the internet, it's a young world today.

Because of the internet though I'm finding some drummers I really enjoy/interest me, that I can learn some things from. Keith Carlock, Dave Dicensio come to mind...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:32 am 

Uh, oh! I am not appreciating this stuff correctly. :lol:

There is little doubt that “…in the land of internet and youtube video, theatrics is part of the game…”, whatever that game is.

Not terribly surprised if I am in the minority of the audience for a clip I was invited to view rather than something I had sought out. On the other hand, anyone could find themselves in the minority at an event they are not a fan of. Nothing wrong with that either, and it might not mean anything at all.

I think there is value in the idea that players are posting stuff on the net that we can see, like or dislike, draw ideas and inspiration from, or not, etc., but if I end up in the minority in regards to certain theatrical aspects of a particular clip or a drum-off, it may just mean I should not be in the audience.

Still, Kel, all of this opens up a legitimate conversation about changing markets, venues and aspirations. I don’t think of solo clips and ‘talent competitions’ as being the venues that I personally would develop skills and talents for, and I think Tim made an interesting comment by asking how well the player in the video might hold down a groove, with other musicians, with the equipment that one might normally cart to a gig.

That is what I play for, rather than a ‘likes’ count on youtube. Unfortunately, posting videos to gather ‘likes’ feels to me like more de-personalization along the lines of the kids today that count ‘friends’ online, and don’t play outdoors with anyone in their neighborhood.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:36 am 

Hey Cliff,
I think that game IS internet/Video. Like you it's not what I inspire to be doing either but the world is still there and for the most part, enjoyable. In the absence of having a band, I would be inclined to goof with the same stuff.
I agree with this whole internet phenomenon possibly having a serious side effect in coming years on society in general. Like everything else, there's good and bad in everything. I just think this bad is going to be serious.

I think the difference between you and I watching internet stuff versus this younger internet generation, is that you and I are not looking for drum hero's in it. Those years have gone by. I know what I want to be. If I don't by now.....:lol:
I can watch just about everything, and find negative in just about all of it. But I look for interesting and usually can find SOMETHING positive I can pull out of it.

Really enjoyed this video. A few things I'll probably steal.
I know it's been said before about others like this, the Thomas Langs, Virgil Donati's...."yeah but can they hold a groove in a band". I mean no offense to anyone but I find that a silly question. To think they can't is just not comprehendible to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:20 am 

Hey Kelly,

I think we agree on a number of issues, including my first comment that there was a lot in the clip that I liked.

I concede, it was a bit of a simplification for me to characterize Tim's comment as a yes/no question as to whether any individual literally can hold a groove, amongst other players, and without headphones. Speaking for myself, it is more a question of whether a guy that can put together a well played, albeit somewhat gimmick enhanced solo performance can also interact well with a group of musicians, where it is not 'all about me'. This question is what led me to comment on youtube culture as an extension of today's balance between internet only vs. personal interaction.

Maybe it is silly to question whether video stars can play with other musicians, but not so silly to wonder whether it is as high a priority.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:39 am 

Mucho agree.
I wonder if these clinic guys make good money. I don't recall Thomas Lang ever being in a band, so it must be his only drumming income anyway. I could be wrong.