On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goki and the 18" kick...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:54 pm 

Goki wrote:
If they discontinue the S Classix - it would be a shame...

I have no chance of saving for an 18" bass drum until November-December... :cry:

Damn...

I have been disturbed over Goki buying the S Classix with a 22" kick, but no 18" since the day he got them. I have Designers in Walnut Roots (with an 18"), so Goki and I are are sort of 'roots brothers'.

Things are not easy to come by in Peoples Republic of Macedonia, and it took Goki years to track down this kit, after giving up the dream on Designers. I am pretty sure he made the leap at these thinking that (i) they were a lifetime investment, and, (ii) he would have some time to find or order a matching 18" kick. Looks like time is nearly up for ordering a new one, and I don't think there are a lot of used ones out there.

I don't know what a new S Classix 18" x 16" can be ordered for these days, but I am willing to put forward a serious proposition:

How many of us are willing and able to put up $100 apiece towards a loan fund to get Goki an 18" walnut roots S Classix kick, while they can still be bought?

Mine is on the table, looking for company. We could help a brother out for a lifetime.
;)

p.s. Anyone know what the cost of ordering one is these days, and if there is a European dealer we could uses to keep from shipping it twice across the Atlantic?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:45 pm 

I thought of this, too, Cliff, but we are strapped until something gives. I'm in favor of it but can not add to it, at the moment. We have not yet asked whether Goki wants to go there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm 

Gregory wrote:
I thought of this, too, Cliff, but we are strapped until something gives. I'm in favor of it but can not add to it, at the moment. We have not yet asked whether Goki wants to go there.

Hey Greg,

I thouroughly understand your position, and I hope I have not done a bad thing by taking the idea public prematurely and/or in appropriately.

If Goki wants to do this, and there is any support, then consider your position covered, because I know you would if you could.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 pm 

No problem at all, Cliff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:19 am 

Hi All,

Please forgive my seldom posts as of late. Extremely busy with work. Have lots to say but not much time.

But I have to jump in here...

Cliff: I will gladly contribute to the Goki kick fund, although I think a 20 would be more useful. I'll kick in a hun to get the ball rolling. Invoice me when you're ready. We could probably purchase it in Germany and have it shipped to ROM by either the retailer or Peter Sagerer, a mutual friend of ours.

All the Best,
:ugeek: Brian

PS: Unless Chairman Mao took over, there isn't a People's Republic of Macedonia! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:23 am 

By the way, the title of this thread looks like it could be a Karate movie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:08 am 

Hookd on Phonics wrote:
By the way, the title of this thread looks like it could be a Karate movie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup, one of those Hong Kong english dubbed ones... :lol:

Back on the topic:
- Since I'll never go after a Designer bop kit (that's for sure, it's insane selling the S Classix), the idea was to swap the Gretsch bop kit for an 18" kick so I can play the Sonors everywhere.

Here it is:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/sonor_s_classix_18x16_bd52.htm
With shipping and taxes, the final price will reach 935euro (according to my calculations). And I think I can get 400euro from the Catalina bop kit.
So, that will leave me with 500e to somehow find... It's clear to me as day that I won't keep the Catalina in the future, since i won't be able to store 2 kits. And, when (I hope) kids come, music will wait, I'm sure, since both Marta and I will focus our energy on family.
But I also know that I wouldn't be happy with dragging the (new) Sonor bop kit to every gig, and that would force me to keep the Catalina for 2 more years, which would mean that I'll have to give all the cash at once. And that sum is hard for me to justify, at the moment...
I think it would be best to - well, stay put... :geek:

I still have that in mind, I must admit. But with the bank mortgage I took for renovating, it's impossible to think in that direction this year.

I may be able to ask the SONOR representative here, about the cost for an 18" bass drum, and (whether) he's willing to take the 22" bd. I just came up with this idea, so I'll try to see what I'll be able to get as an info on this. If he can offer me an 18" bd for 750euro, I'm sure I'll be tempted as hell... :D

Your offer guys is VERY SINCERE, and unbelievable!!! I must say that people here don't think like this, let alone make it happen.
From the bottom of my heart guys, I'm thrilled, honored and amazed by your thoughts and will to help.

But, I must say it would be a burden and a deed that would be very difficult to repay (and I'm not talking about money here).

The thought alone makes me the happiest drummer in the world, believe me. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

Sorry for the long rant... :oops:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:52 am 

So sorry for the gaffe with the name, particularly because I know better.

Goki, I understand where you are at, and you understand that as I read it, you are $300 of the way there so far if you can make this happen, and want to go forward.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:57 am 

Not sure what the Euro/dollar exchange rate is these days but when I was thinking of ordering an 18x16 S-Classix from Shane a year ago he told me they were $1149 to order and would take a few months to get.

Goki... I love the S-Classix too and have been looking for an Ebony 20" for over a year as well! I believe that if we keep our eyes peeled we might be able to find some used ones... especially if Kelly helps us look. He seems to be able to hunt down almost anything!

Let us all know what you end up deciding. It's really cool to have a tight brotherhood of drummers right here! :D

- D.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:03 am 

Well....sorry Goki, if this in anyway embarrasses you being public but....it's not actually public :)
I for one cannot walk away from this thread without seeing you get an 18" kick.
I also am short on silver, but I'm never short on looking for miracles and finding a way.
I have a lot of faith in tracking one down and getting it done, it's finding a matching finish that is troubling.
But....I just said....I look for miracles.