On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:22 pm 

cliff wrote:
stevesmithfan wrote:
Ant kick issues noted on your listening platform?[/color]

Only as stated; there's so much more available on my stereo, but once again I have no blank CDs, and the preamp in the computer lacks.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:46 pm 

Cliff,

After spending 1 hour listening to this recording (Hi Fidelity speakers), I have from a recording engineers perspective, some thoughts. Hope this helps.

1. The kick sounds like it's being only miked from the outside, which takes away from the clarity. Or you could've been feathering the kick, which will make it very low in the mix. The fader could be too low in the overall mix, try turning it up or maybe some compression.

2. Nearly all of your recordings have some of that 350-500Hz low midrange, which can be distracting frequency wise from hearing the clarity of certain drum tracks, In this case the kick.

3. I can barely hear the bass drum in your mix. I could be making unfair comparisons, because I'm use to hearing my own tighter punchier sounding bass drum going through a Neve mic preamp.

4. I don't care for the hi hats very much, that's more from a drummers perspective. The toms sound good, but they have a lot of that 300 Hz midrange.

5. Excellent playing as always! I knew the drummer would come out while I was typing this. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:07 am 

Hey Greg,

Thanks for spending the time with this and expanding on your comments.

Using your reference numbers:

1. As mixed, kick is only mic'ed from the reso. An inside mounted track is available, but not used in the mix. Also true that the kick is (i) used sparingly, and, (ii) sometimes feathered. I may play with a couple of variations and talk a bit offline with you on them, but I am trying to stay away from a high attack, prominent presence, rock type of sound.

2. I'll play with this a bit as well, and see what my reaction is. Initially, I wonder if it might be a bit of the birch vs maple preference, and what one does or does not want to hear from drums.

3. Your kick sound is certainly clean, punchy and prominent, in both mix and playing style, and I think I can get that type of sound by using the internal track, but I am not having much of a problem hearing the kick. I'll mix in a bit of the intenal and see how it sets with you.

4. I'll delete that track from future mixes. :lol: See response 2, above in regards to 300Hz issue.

5. Thanks. I sort of wish I had done someting a bit more cohesive; it was more aimed at just getting a wide range of sounds to record.

Thanks again, Greg

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:24 am 

cliff wrote:

5. Thanks. I sort of wish I had done someting a bit more cohesive; it was more aimed at just getting a wide range of sounds to record.

There were two choices: 1) Cliff has been so busy at work that he forgot how to string ideas together, or 2) This was a test mule. Knowing Cliff, he's perfectly content to take his mule out for a public spin but wouldn't likely show up in racing colors mounted on it. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:45 pm 

You're welcome Cliff.