On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:01 am 

Because my timing has always been :? :oops: , I've been practicing quite a bit to a Click. Getting there, starting to groove a little, but I still need work.
Amazing how the Click makes you sound more solid overall. Recorded a few tracks today, not keepers, still just getting sounds.
Recording drum tracks first, to click, with nothing else but the noises in my head. Didn't think the Groove/Feel was quite there, but they sounded solid, and I buried the Click.
Anyone else find it difficult to groove to a Click, I'm getting there, but any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:30 am 

Hey Jeff,

Good topic. I do occasionally track to a click , and the only suggestion I can offer is not to think of it as a 'regulator', but just to play along with it as if it was a very pedantic bass player, and don't hesitate to push it or pull it a bit, to create the groove.

Good luck getting used to it.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:14 am 

It is the rare player of any sort who does not need to practice against a metronome. My favorite ebayer of all time was the guy selling his digital metronome with the caveat that "it's not very good at keeping the beat."

Playing with a metronome will solidify your rhythm and allows us to relax when playing, particularly through fills and complicated musical phrases. When I was in my thirties (and obviously not married) I slept with a metronome set to 50 bpm. under my pillow, hoping to encourage my inner meter by osmosis.

I ought to practice with one more, because it is the best possible feedback and gives great confidence about meter. When I play in a band, I quite often rehearse with a metronome in one ear to understand where the rhythmic issues go awry.

I think I went off topic. Yes, it is at first difficult to groove to a click, but practice will bring great rewards!

Would you like a suggestion of a practice regimen to help?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:46 am 

Thanks guys, :D
Gregory, my metronome has only just started to keep up with me too :? .

Cliff, excellent way of describing how to play to a Click.

I recently started thinking of the Click as a secondary/subliminal pulse, and began just playing to 'The Band' in my head :? .Sounds simple :roll: , but often overlooked when you are trying so hard to bury this incessant click. I've made definite improvements, and the band no longer accuses me of speeding up, or slowing down, they now ask what I think ;) .

I'm limited for time, so on my day off a spend 1-3hrs practicing, depending on available time.
I have 2 lists of songs to Record. 12 for main project, another 6 on hold.
So I'm concentrating on the 12, they take up the entire practice time anyway, if I'm lucky,I can give them 10mins each, if I'm real lucky I can give them more time, or run the other bands 6 songs.
I have a list of all songs tempos.
I'll start by picking a song, set the metronome to the appropriate tempo, and I'll run through the song. Then (Metronome still on) I'll play a few grooves, fills, patterns around the kit, and any ideas that I think may work with the song, or run over sections I don't nail every time. Maybe run the whole track again.
Then I'll move to song/tempo B, and repeat.

Its been working well, and I feel I'm 80% there, nail it a lot of the time, just have to nail it most, if not all, and I'll be happy.
Some days its just so easy, and others, a little up hill. But after each rough day, I move a step closer to getting it right.
Anyways, its just Blues Rock, not supposed to be perfect :roll: :lol: :D

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:36 pm 

Quote:
Anyways, its just Blues Rock, not supposed to be perfect

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I thought there was something wrong with mine too when I first got it. Afraid I wouldn't get the job at this point.
I sit mine on my dash lunch time and use the leather steering wheel to practice rudiments.
I used to mic it in my drum room, that's where I learned to hate them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:37 am 

I only practice once a week at the moment, other than 3 band rehearsals and/or gigs ;) .
I spend my individual time entirely with the Click on. Its really sharpened me up, but theres still work to be done :roll: .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:36 am 

I'm jealous of all this practice time you guys are getting, i need to carve some out for myself

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:08 am 

tim wrote:
I'm jealous of all this practice time you guys are getting, i need to carve some out for myself

After all that rain, perhaps bailing out would be appropriate first. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:29 pm 

It's below 90 for the first time in weeks, i'll take it even if I get wet. This place is starting to look like a war zone though, trees down all over, mulch floating around all over the place.....
At least I have been getting a break from watering my tomatoes :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:05 pm 

tim wrote:
It's below 90 for the first time in weeks, i'll take it even if I get wet. This place is starting to look like a war zone though, trees down all over, mulch floating around all over the place.....
At least I have been getting a break from watering my tomatoes :D

Not 'Coffee Shop' style Tomatoes I hope :? :lol: