On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 am 

Am I a cynical old curmudgeon having just turned 50? Perhaps, but I haven't seen a meaningful discussion on the SF for a long time. Here's a good example of what's on people's minds there:

http://www.sonormuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12748

- D.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 am 

Wow. Did you not see that coming. When Sonor started over-catering to the young crowd, was it not obvious where that forum was going.

As a side note David, just got a message from Shane, he has signed up with Premier. I told him a year ago to look into it as some great stuff was coming from them. He said they brought a bunch of stuff in and he was seriously impressed. I think though that he has too much to choose from therefore things will get overlooked. A serious discount can be had through our friend Peter anyway. But good they are getting some attention.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand, we old curmudgeons can sit on our hands for days and say nothing at all. It's always a relief in a busy world to come here for silence. :P ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:48 am 

Greg, yes, some of my best communication is done in silence! ;)

Kelly, great to hear from you. You know me... being an old curmudgeon I never buy anything new anyway. I try to wait for the young whippersnappers to buy the gear new and then tire of it quickly, so that I can score it used. But I'm trying to make 2013 the year of the purge. I have a few guitars up on ebay now, and I'm hoping to list a bunch of drum gear soon.

I always liked Premier's high end lines but I think they made a mistake with the new "Genista Maple" line. GENISTA was always their birch shell, and SIGNIA was always their maple shell for 10-15 years. Why couldn't they revive the SIGNIA line too? I know the lugs are more expensive to make and all, but having a GENISTA maple just seems confusing. I wish the new company well though... they make great stuff. The new Aviator snares look very cool.

- D.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:00 pm 

uh....they are working on the re-release of the Signia line as we speak. Very excited. Hoping for a 20x18 kick.
Good to see you also my friend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:49 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
Am I a cynical old curmudgeon having just turned 50? Perhaps, but I haven't seen a meaningful discussion on the SF for a long time. Here's a good example of what's on people's minds there:

http://www.sonormuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12748

- D.

Haha!
I replied to that topic because it was
1. Left field
2. Something I have done in the past (spray painted some clear tom reso heads black and a few bass resos the color of the week)

I agree, though. That board has become flat to me-a shell of it's former self 5-10 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 am 

Being on the topic...this hasn't happened in awhile, I got an email this morning from "admin@sonormuseum", stating I had a private message.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 pm 

A "good" topic needs a "good" question:
If You spray the heads on the inside, will the color stick on the bearing edges when the heads are tightened and tuned?!?

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:58 pm 

Goki wrote:
A "good" topic needs a "good" question:
If You spray the heads on the inside, will the color stick on the bearing edges when the heads are tightened and tuned?!?

Haha.
The answer is: most often not.

Aquarian white and black heads were just spray painted clears, at least as of a few years ago. I have a set of the black heads on the resos of a kit.