On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CYMBALS
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:30 pm 

Gentlemen; I remember reading an interview in which Jack DeJohnette said that, at one time, he had used many cymbals, but that, as of the time of the interview, he was using less cymbals, because he had come to understand the role of cymbals better. He did not elaborate.

Would anyone care to speculate what "the role of cymbals" is - or what JD may think it to be?

Post subject: Re: CYMBALS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:19 pm 

I thought I'd heard an interview (maybe his dvd) that he thinks of the cymbals as the equivalent to the sustain pedal on a piano...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:09 pm 

Using cymbals less or using less cymbals? How interesting is that...what a great question....I love myself for asking it

I'm sure everyone has their own view of this in relation to their own musical pallet. I surely don't know enough about the man to even take a guess.

I'm also sure some would have problems with even the premise of cymbals having a defined purpose.

You called us "Gentlemen" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:41 pm 

Kelly wrote:
You called us "Gentlemen" :lol:

To be spoken in a "Beavis and Butt-head" voice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:21 pm 

I recall that same thing as Nick does, and I think it may have been from been in his full length video that I may have heard that.

That said, I think that Jack has probably changed his perception of cymbals a few times, evidenced by the number of times that his cymbal ‘family’ has changed.

Years ago, I think he used some fairly bright cymbals (maybe Paiste), moving towards darker and drier cymbals (Bosphorus, Sabian Dejohnette, Sabian DeJohnette Encore), and now seems to have returned to cymbals brighter than his namesake series.

What understanding he had reached in regards to cymbals may be somewhat linked to when the statement was made.

If there is one guy out there that I would enjoy spending a lot of time talking to and learning from, he’d be the guy.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 am 

Not me Cliff?
:(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:56 pm 

Speaking of Jack, I'm gonna go see him play in about 4 hours (with current Quartet w/ Esperanza Spaulding, Joe Lovano etc.). Should be groovy!

- D.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Not me Cliff?
:(

You were my second choice, but I didn't want to call you out as a 'second choice'. ;)

River City Trio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:35 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
Speaking of Jack, I'm gonna go see him play in about 4 hours (with current Quartet w/ Esperanza Spaulding, Joe Lovano etc.). Should be groovy!

- D.

Lucky guy.

Enjoy and report.
;)

River City Trio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:47 am 

As I see it, there are only three uses of cymbals; percussive, atmospheric, and tonal. When you add to the cymbal arsenal, you are going for different tonalities, quick or short decays, or unusual sounds that catch the ear in unexpected ways (so long as you don't overplay them).

Some cymbals act as "sustain pedals." They build under the music in a way that supports it, but that is merely one aspect of cymbals. I could write at some length about what each one of my cymbals does, but I'm sure you could, too, and we ought to try not to bore each other that way, at least not without permission. ;)

DeJohnette was not talking about using cymbals less; he was talking about using fewer cymbals. The only thing I can make of that is that he came to rely more on the drums for percussion, tone, and melody, leaving the cymbals to the more conventional role of ride and crash (wash and sustain)… with the odd china thrown in for whatever it is that we love about chinas – I find the china (or similar) to perform in all three categories - as long as it is not overplayed.

The reason I asked the question is that I have been trying to reduce my cymbals in order to reduce the number of stands I have to carry and to simplify setup. Impromptu, I can play with a flat ride, a crash, and a set of hats, but I can't do that in the music that Cupola has been writing. Every time I leave a cymbal at home, I regret it at some point in the evening.

I have reduced the setup by one cymbal and the 8ø tom… one stand down, a reduction of 25%. In order to do that, I have to choose between an atmospheric ride or the only cymbal I own whose instructions say "crash." I was hoping to leave about three more cymbal (and two more stands) behind, once I understand the role of cymbals better. :lol: :? :lol: