On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:57 am 

I think Greg mentioned that using same type heads top and bottom WILL make a drum resonate the most...

SO, does this mean that I should go with top and bottom Emperors to have the best result? Or should I return to Coated Ambassadors top and bottom (a combination I never tried on my Hilites)...
When we talk about resonance, are we talking about projection at the same time?!? I mean, if a drum resonates more, I'm sure that it'll have greater projection...

What do You guys think?

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:34 am 

If you've never tried coated ambassadors as a batter definitely try it. I don't think it makes that much difference if you use clear or coated on the bottom, coated would probably sound a little more mellow.
Did you ever try aquarians goki?
They might be a good value for you, they last a long time and keep their tone longer than the Remos. I think they sound better, but everyone has their own opinion....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:19 am 

Thanx for the Aquarian tip Tim - unfortunately no chance to try them.
Back here, only REMO (Ambassador, Pinstripe) and EVANS (G1, G2) are the option... :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:36 am 

Goki wrote:
Thanx for the Aquarian tip Tim - unfortunately no chance to try them.
Back here, only REMO (Ambassador, Pinstripe) and EVANS (G1, G2) are the option... :(

I respect Tim's opinion and his experience with Aquarian. I myself have not had great experiences with Aquarian, but then I cannot claim great experience with Aquarian, either.

Remo will be warmer than either Aquarian or Evans; less attack is audible. From what I understand, Remo is also not quite as durable, but I can't speak to that one way or the other.

My beef with Remo is that they seem a bit careless about quality control; some heads are great, some are wretched. Evans, on the other hand, seems to turn out a consistently good product.

Projection, the way the drum sounds and feels out in the room, is decidedly increased by having the top and bottom heads working together. Heads of different weights are not, at least in theory, able to cooperate. Their different speeds of vibration tend to cancel each other out, and so you get less sustain and less projection. Projection is a quality that is not necessarily needed when recording or when close miked, but for all other live situations, it is the difference between drums that are viscerally present and drums that are merely... er, present :lol:

Two heads working together are the reason for two-headed drums. Concert toms are certainly simpler to tune, but they lack projection. People used to take heads off their toms to increase projection: I think the rational was that the second head was stopping the sound. What may have been achieved was a singular tone that didn't kill itself against a dissimilar head and tuning down below; I don't know. But it is clear that they had it backwards.

Resonance is by definition sound produced by sympathetic vibration. One way to think of this would be the way an out of tune piano projects, as opposed to one that is in tune. The first sounds weak and tinny even if sort of interesting; the second is warm and rich, and fills the room with its resonance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 pm 

Goki wrote:

SO, does this mean that I should go with top and bottom Emperors to have the best result? Or should I return to Coated Ambassadors top and bottom (a combination I never tried on my Hilites)...
?

Top and bottom Emperors will give you the maximum resonance and sustain available from Emperors. Because they are heavy, they will be a bit slow on the attack and will reduce some of the ringing harmonics. In theory, they may have a longer sustain, since heavy weights, once moving, takes more time to stop than a lighter weight.

Go to pages 18 and 19 of the Drum Tuning Bible for an extensive, if not exhaustive, discussion of heads and head combinations.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:18 pm 

Quote:
Go to pages 18 and 19 of the Drum Tuning Bible for an extensive, if not exhaustive, discussion of heads and head combinations.

Wish I could - if I had it... :D

If there's a chance to download it like a PDF file (licence regulated, of course), please let me know... :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 pm 

Free download: I posted it in a new topic as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/s ... /DTBv3.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm 

I swear Gregory - You do things FASTER then my nextdoor neighbour... :lol: :lol: :lol:

THANK YOU... :geek: :geek: :geek:

What if all our MPs were a bit like you?!? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:14 pm 

Goki wrote:
I swear Gregory - You do things FASTER then my nextdoor neighbour... :lol: :lol: :lol:

THANK YOU... :geek: :geek: :geek:
]

You're more than welcome, Goki. I'll look forward to hearing if you find any of that helpful.

There are two things I'm doing right now to earn a living and one of them is on hold, so I have time to do this, in between thinking about cymbals and practicing. :D

I'll be interested to hear if you find the tuning bible helpful. I do, every time I read through it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:41 am 

Gregory wrote:

My beef with Remo is that they seem a bit careless about quality control; some heads are great, some are wretched. Evans, on the other hand, seems to turn out a consistently good product.

Thats exactly why I switched, you couldn't buy the same head twice! It drove me nuts.