On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sonormuseum...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm 

[quote="hihat"]Gee, that's a difficult question to answer. Perhaps I am used to the birch SClassix or maple SQ2 which both have a more defined sound. These thicker beech shells have a lot more different sounds within itself.
The "Cliff Settings" for four tom tunings are – at least from my point of view – calibrated from the lowest speaking voice of the 16. It just so happens that the octave from the 16 to the 12 creates a very lively sound in the 12, low enough not to be a bongo, but high enough to involve careening overtones, while keeping all the toms in tune with each other. Nothing says they can't be wound up tighter. :)

Let us hear what you discover.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:39 pm 

cliff wrote:
percusski wrote:
Hi everyone, I was made aware of you guys by Scott's post, excellent!

Hey Nick,

Good to see you here. I had been following your links on the Sonormuseum to stuff you recorded with your Lites. Nice stuff.

I have finally gotten my Signatures into the studio (after I picked up an 18" kick from Matt/Dr-funkenstein). There are some samples in the "They sound like this..." section.

Welcome.
;)

Thanks Cliff and Greg, the Lite recordings aren't up yet, i've recorded a couple of albums recently that should be released early next year, I can tell you that those drums sound incredible :D
I have also reheaded my Designers with clear Emperors and a coated PS3 on the BD batter - that drum sounds HUGE now -almost too big lol
Will check out those Sig samples, really fancy an 18 Designer BD...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:39 pm 

cliff wrote:
percusski wrote:

Hey Nick,

Good to see you here. I had been following your links on the Sonormuseum to stuff you recorded with your Lites. Nice stuff.

I have finally gotten my Signatures into the studio (after I picked up an 18" kick from Matt/Dr-funkenstein). There are some samples in the "They sound like this..." section.

Welcome.
;)

Thanks Cliff and Greg, the Lite recordings aren't up yet, i've recorded a couple of albums recently that should be released early next year, I can tell you that those drums sound incredible :D
I have also reheaded my Designers with clear Emperors and a coated PS3 on the BD batter - that drum sounds HUGE now -almost too big lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:25 pm 

percusski wrote:
cliff wrote:
percusski wrote:

Hey Nick,

Welcome.
;)

Hey Nick,

I misunderstood. I thought the stuff at the links in your signature were what you were referring to. Please post some links to some samples when they are available.

Yup. 18" Designer is the right answer. I love the Signature 18", but the Designer 18" is the best.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:26 am 

I second that... :)

I've played an 18" Signature, and heard an 18" Designer... The idea of THE sound I had in my head, matched with the Designer... :)

I've yet to hear an 18" birch bass drum though... The 18" S Classix I've heard on the sonor museum was very delicious... :lol:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:10 am 

cliff wrote:
Rob,

One thought occurs to me. It may not be relevant, and if it is, you may already be aware of it.

Being that the Ambassador X heads are 12 mil thick vs standard Ambassador at 10 mil (same as the G Plus), and that they are coated, which will add more deflection resistance, the same drum dial tension on both will not be the same pitch.

The drum dial only measures deflection of the head, and a thicker head (12 mil) will require less tension to provide the same resistance to deflection as a thinner head (10 mil), and the coating ads some resistance as well.

I have used G Plus clear batters (12 mil) over G1 resonant heads (10 mil), and found that the 12 ml head needed to be about 2 tics on the dial above the 10 mil head to be at the same pitch. With a coated batter and a clear resonant, the difference may be even more

I approached it by:

• installing the 10mil head, finding its DD reading at a given pitch
• removing that head
• installing the 12 mil head, finding its DD reading at a given pitch
• determining the difference using that info to set the heads to equal pitch, as a starting point

Not sure if this applies to what you are doing, or not, but I know that when I tried 12 mil over 10 mil, at the same starting readings, the effect was much as you describe your displeasure with the Ambassador X

Thanks for the time you took and give me this great reply.
Last night I followed your advice and tuned the tophead of my 8x10" (aquarian coated single ply) 2 ticks higher (77) compared to the reso (clear sonor-amb) (75). I did the same with the 8x12" tom which has the ambX on top. The problem is completely gone. I have to finetune, but the toms sound great. I'll make some Q3 or H2 files and post it.

Thanks again Cliff and Gregory. Glad I found this forum :) :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:29 am 

hihat wrote:

Cool-O, Rob! Leave it to Cliff to identify the crux of a procedural question.

I'm glad you found the site, too! Looking forward to the sound file... :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 am 

hihat wrote:
cliff wrote:
Rob,

One thought occurs to me. It may not be relevant, and if it is, you may already be aware of it.

Being that the Ambassador X heads are 12 mil thick vs standard Ambassador at 10 mil (same as the G Plus), and that they are coated, which will add more deflection resistance, the same drum dial tension on both will not be the same pitch.

The drum dial only measures deflection of the head, and a thicker head (12 mil) will require less tension to provide the same resistance to deflection as a thinner head (10 mil), and the coating ads some resistance as well.

I have used G Plus clear batters (12 mil) over G1 resonant heads (10 mil), and found that the 12 ml head needed to be about 2 tics on the dial above the 10 mil head to be at the same pitch. With a coated batter and a clear resonant, the difference may be even more

I approached it by:

• installing the 10mil head, finding its DD reading at a given pitch
• removing that head
• installing the 12 mil head, finding its DD reading at a given pitch
• determining the difference using that info to set the heads to equal pitch, as a starting point

Not sure if this applies to what you are doing, or not, but I know that when I tried 12 mil over 10 mil, at the same starting readings, the effect was much as you describe your displeasure with the Ambassador X

Thanks for the time you took and give me this great reply.
Last night I followed your advice and tuned the tophead of my 8x10" (aquarian coated single ply) 2 ticks higher (77) compared to the reso (clear sonor-amb) (75). I did the same with the 8x12" tom which has the ambX on top. The problem is completely gone. I have to finetune, but the toms sound great. I'll make some Q3 or H2 files and post it.

Cool!

Looking forward to hearing what they sound like.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:12 pm 

right here is why I love this place :D