On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:10 pm 

Since the Hilite snare drum (i) was bought to satisfy a curiosity more that a need, and, (ii) snare wires need to be changed any way, this looks like a good opportunity to use the Hilite as a mule for some snare wire comparison.

Between my own observations and some of Greg's observation in this string, I am going to focus on 24 strand wires, but interested in comparing steel, brass and bronze. I am thinking of using Sonor wires for the comparison, as I like the grommeted holes for the snare strings, and think they would allow the cables to 'self-center' better than the un-grommeted edges on the Puresounds I have seen. Canopus seems to offer only steel wires.

Any observations on steel vs. bronze vs. brass are welcome, as well as other sources to consider.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

Last edited by cliff on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 pm 

My take is to stay away from Puresound, but many obviously like it. The sound is brittle when compared to the standard Sonor issue. I currently have the Puresound on the 5" Classix snare, and in that location it has a value, because that snare is a shade soft in its stock configuration with 3flange hoops. Tightens it up the sound a little.

Trying to guess what you might like... what would you like to improve about Sonor wires? I only have a problem with the standard throw offs but not with the wire characteristic. I cannot tell which Puresound I have because there are no identifying numbers, but I'm sure that the wires are not their heavy duty model. I believe I have the Custom brass series. By the photos, brass looks like brass and steel looks like steel, and that's what I'm going by.

I like the string connectors; I agree about the ability to self-align, but I suspect that the straps would be fairly easy to set up with moderate care. The Pursesound I have attaches by string but is made to facilitate either method.

The Custom Pro claim less snare buzz, but I cannot tell by the pictures or language how that is achieved or whether it requires the strap. Brass (by Purseound's measure) makes the sound more brilliant. I have been told by fairly reliable source that the steel in Puresound wires is harder than Sonor steel wire and also sound more brittle, and if that's true, it too will increase articulation.

Going one step at a time, if looking at Puresound, I'd pick the Custom Pro Steel.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:22 pm 

Hey Greg,

Really, there is nothing I am looking to improve in regards to all the drums on which OEM Sonor snare wires are fitted. I am only noodling around with other wire material options because the wires on the Hilite are not original (currently fitted with what looks like 20 strand chromed steel) and my ears say that they need to be changed to something else.

I might well be just as pleased to use Sonor 24 strand steel wires on the Hilite as I am on the Designer snares and be done with it, but so long as the Hiite is a test mule for me, I thought I might see what the other materials are like.

I agree that straps are probably as functional as strings for mounting snare wires, but I have never used them. If I am going to try different wire materials, I don't want to also be trying different mounting methods at the same time - one change per lap.

From somewhere in the day's conversation, I think I inferred that you probably prefer 20 strand wires, and maybe the ones that came on the Hilite belong at your house. If that become apparent, I will send them on their way.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:29 am 

cliff wrote:

From somewhere in the day's conversation, I think I inferred that you probably prefer 20 strand wires, and maybe the ones that came on the Hilite belong at your house. If that become apparent, I will send them on their way.

I don't think I have a wire-count preference. What I preferred was removing the center wires on the Designer snares in order not to choke the drum [as much]. While the drum sounds fuller in that arrangement, the snare response is less articulate. It's one of those things that becomes palatable as you use it, but not so much when you return to it. Perhaps my 8 deep Designer needs a lot of tuning, but I was shocked by the sound the other day, after playing nothing but Lite and Sig snares for the last few months.

In any case, the Lite TO2 and now Signature parallel snares have diverted my attention from the problem, since they both allow full range of adjustment on the strainer while maintaining drum resonance.

Hey! As long as you are trying things, try them all! All ears for your review. :D :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:52 am 

Gregory wrote:
...Perhaps my 8 deep Designer needs a lot of tuning, but I was shocked by the sound the other day, after playing nothing but Lite and Sig snares for the last few months...

Is it the Designer 8" that has the equivalent of the SW1416/2 S fitted (i.e. 24 strand width; center 8 removed)?

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:34 pm 

Yes, the 8", and that's the drum that arrived with Puresound attached. Changed it out to a stock 24, then cut the wires of the middle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:10 am 

On my D-505 I use Pearl Ultra-Sound Snare Wires, and I really like the sound I'm getting...

Maybe You should check that out too Cliff - they have 3 different shapes for the plates (C I D)
http://www.massmusic.net/item/Pearl-Har ... ound-20840

Plus, they work great with strings.
I personally they sound better than the SONOR snare wires that are on my S Classix...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:43 am 

Goki,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into those as well.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 pm 

I am also going to check out the Pearl wires. Cool!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:13 pm 

@ $16, you can't go very wrong.