On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Side snare's
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 pm 

Whenever I needed a second snare sound, I found it easier to trigger on a an electronic pad, that way I had my choice of thousands of which I used 2... go figure. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 am 

Only time I'd probably use it was if I was in a reggae band or something. I think those little Sonor jungle snares with the jingles on them are great for reggae riffs. But it would have to be a real specialty snare, not just another slightly different "tone".

On another note, I think a second pair of hi-hats ala David Garibaldi could be kinda cool!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:17 am 

I HAVE to have two sets of hats. Very useful. Wasn't really into it until I started watching Virgil videos. His extra hats are like another drum to him. Really makes them stand out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 am 

Kelly wrote:
I HAVE to have two sets of hats. Very useful. Wasn't really into it until I started watching Virgil videos. His extra hats are like another drum to him. Really makes them stand out.

These Gary Chester publications focus on exercises built around drum sets with things such as two sets of high hats. I believe Mr. Chester's recommendation is to have a left-right mirrored kit. By this he means a set of hi hats on both sides, floor toms on each side, etc.

http://www.gary-chester.com/publications/books.html

These books are among a few recommended by Danny Carey on his website.

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:17 am 

Justin wrote:
...These Gary Chester publications focus on exercises built around drum sets with things such as two sets of high hats. I believe Mr. Chester's recommendation is to have a left-right mirrored kit. By this he means a set of hi hats on both sides, floor toms on each side, etc....

Hey Justin,

I have to a admit that I have not read much of the info at the link, and maybe there is an answer there, but what, besides ambidexsterity, would be the purpose of a mirrored kit, particularly in a practical gigging environment.

To take the devil's advocacy a bit further, what would be the benefit of ambidexterity as opposed to adequate four way independence.

To me, this seem like more of a 'gymnastic' execrcise, and while it certainly develops technical skills, it may go beyond development of practical playing skills, but I am open to being convinced otherwise.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:18 am 

Cliff,

I think the focus is on ambidexterity and four-way independence (as you mentioned) so I can't really say if these books are truly practical or not.

I do know most of the technique book writers are avid percussionists who have played (and re-played, and re-played, etc) every rudiment and technique exercise known to man. On this note, it makes sense for a professional percussionist to practice his/her four way independence but also challenge themselves with trying exercises that will challenge them.

For those of us who don't make our paychecks by playing the drums, I concede, it makes little sense to try and tackle these types of things.

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature