On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tuning advice please
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:07 pm 

This kit (make up of it) and these sizes (fast toms) are new to me.
Never had this problem before: When I tune up the 8 tom to where I really like it, my snare goes bonkers with rattling. If I tune it up some the problem goes away but I don't prefer that range.
I know it a resonance issue but I never experienced it before. I like right where my snare is and don't want to change that either. The 10 and 12 are fine.
I put coated Emps and clear Ambs on all the toms and like the setup.
I am referring to the Marquis I just got for those late to the program.

I am used to 8 x 8's where I think you can tune them higher than an 8 x 7 and still not be in that "concert tom" range.
These drum also all have diecast hoops which I'm sure is coming into play.
If I had a set of power hoops I would try that and see what change that would make.

Post subject: Re: Tuning advice please
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:42 pm 

Hey Kelly,

I have that problem with a 10". I haven't any idea what effect the cast hoops might have.

Are you using that set of split snare wires?

Maybe that will help the situation.

Drives me out of my mind when I use a 10" with my usual snare tuning; it just wont stop buzzing.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 pm 

Yes I'm using the split wires.
I guess if you are having the problem then the diecasts on my toms are probably not adding to it.
It's funny because how high I tune the 8 is proportional to how much buzz. I can tune it right out if I go high enough.
No other tom has any buzz at all.
I tried raising the tom way up physically to see if it was positioning and it didn't change.
I think I found a satisfactory spot with negligible buzz and sound of the 8.
Are you using coated heads? Because I have never and these are coated and I've never had this issue. I've never had an 8 x 7 either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 pm 

Hel Kel,

I am using clear heads on all toms; frosted G Plus snare batter (usually).

I don't think that is is necessarily related to size and/or depth. I think is just a matter of (i) what happens to produce a harmonic that is sympathetic with the snare, and, (ii) the fact the snare is tensioned higher, and excites easier.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:54 am 

cliff wrote:
Hel Kel,

I am using clear heads on all toms; frosted G Plus snare batter (usually).

I don't think that is is necessarily related to size and/or depth. I think is just a matter of (i) what happens to produce a harmonic that is sympathetic with the snare, and, (ii) the fact the snare is tensioned higher, and excites easier.

Cliff is right - it's the tone combination on the tom and snare that inter-reacts and produces the buzz. You should also experiment with placing the 8" tom in another position (further left, or higher if possible), or check whether the hardware from the tom stand and snare stand is touching and adding to the vibration. The diecast hoops have almost nothing to do with it (regarding the note - maybe in tone clarity, but that's it).

The 10" S CLassix has a fantastic sound, but it "interacts" with the snare from the other drum set in our rehearsal room (we share - 2 bands). :) I ALWAYS have to release the wires of my friend's snare, in order to play "calmly"... :lol:

Have You tried using another snare Kelly?!?

Damn - wrote everything but the MOST IMPORTANT.......
............. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW SET KELLY!!! May You enjoy these for a long time - I'm certain You got a real gem there!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:59 am 

Thanks Goki. Pretty amazing kit. Kick is the best ever. Really enjoying it.

That all makes perfectly good sense but...In 30 plus years I've never had the problem.

I tried moving the tom, and tried another snare.
This is just not the snare rattling. The snare is resonating with it. It's like hitting both drums at the same time.
Wish I had a 8 x 8 here just for the experiment. Because like I said, I think it can be tuned higher and still not go into concert tom mode.
I found a happy spot for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:05 am 

It's just sympathetic vibrations... nothing to do with head or rim type.

You might try just loosening the 4 lugs on the snare side that surround the snare bed/snares a bit. I do this when I'm getting just a touch too much "after buzz" when I hit certain snare drums. It won't get rid of it, but it might reduce it somewhat. Also, don't forget it could be the resonance head of the 8" tom that's the bigger problem so you could tweak that as well.

The only two cures I know of are: (1) tweak both drum tunings up or down so they aren't so sympathetic or (2) just play nice and loud, enjoy the thump, and forget about it! ;)

- D.

PS - I thought my Marquis toms sounded like the bomb with coated Emperors. Good choice! What's on the bass drum?

Last edited by phatsolid on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:08 am 

Kelly wrote:
...Kick is the best ever. Really enjoying it.

I'm sure glad you like it, but the best kick ever is multiplying in dizzying fashion these days, and I'm having a hard time keeping up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:35 pm 

Yeah ya gotta keep up slow poke. It just keeps getting better and better.
If you heard either one of these kicks you'd be shutting up quick.

Dave...I put on what I had to chose from at the house, not a big 20 selection but I found gold. I had an Emad and a PS3 fiberskyn reso. I remember hating Emads but...not anymore. Tonight for experimental purposes I am trying a Gmad. Kicked one one a 20 at GC and it sounded really good.

I hear ya on the tuning. I tweaked the 8 up and am satisfied with the situation now. Can't imaging dealing with this in a recording studio. That would be a no 8 tom session.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:36 am 

I'm a big fan of the EMADs too, esp, the w/ small damp ring. Lots of people rave about Superkicks but I don't seem to like them as much, and I like having to option of yanking out the ring in a live setting if I want.

I wish I learned to play without burying the beater into the head. I can play heel down and release the beater in a jazz setting if the tempo isn't too fast, but I need to bury it for funk or rock stuff. And at 50 that's one trick this old dog doesn't have time to take on!

- D.