On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

Post subject: Re: Go big or go home ha
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:07 pm 

Check that other video, it's turned down quite a bit. Can't remove it now, sounds too dry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:13 am 

Arena rock for sure... that practice room is as big as an arena! I'm very jealous.

BTW they sound great!

- D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 pm 

Yeah I got space. The kit is sitting just about in the middle of the room so you are seeing half of the area.

Great kit but poor sound sample. That's a fun setting on the Zoom but you can't do much with it. Too much activity and it gets really muddy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:41 pm 

Great video, Kel!!!

Are you turning that area into a "studio" (--sound proofing, wiring, etc)?

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:37 pm 

No Justin I'm not. Suppose if I had the money maybe but I'd have little use for it anyway. I'm really a "live" guy. Bands in and out, go gig, have fun, hopefully make some money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:50 pm 

Quote:
And now I'm really noticing what the carpet is doing to the sound. So I make make a new riser with a different surface.

I really need to come up with some sort of riser, but for an additional reason; My carpet in the drum room has really thick padding, and it seems to affect pedal action, particularly with pedals that have baseplates.

I thought I'd use the discount store style carpet, but (if I ever build the risers) I think I'll just set up the kit on the bare wood, and fashion wood blocks that capture the spur feet.

I have so many unstarted as well as unfinished projects around the house, the Mustang, and now this!

:ugeek: Brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:20 am 

The step from a practice pad to a drum kit is one thing, but I don't understand why the drum kit needs a riser. How does that help practice? Or, for that matter, what does it do for sound?

If it's a matter of lifting drums off a concrete basement floor, that's something else.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:43 am 

My only recent experience with a riser was in a club and it was a nightmare. The riser was mostly if not all enclosed and it was causing some kind of weird low bass rumble. We had to use the sound guy that the club provided (unfortunately) and he had a bitch of a time keeping the rumble down. I guess it was acting like a giant woofer.

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:16 am 

A few reasons off the top of my head Greg.

As you said, off the basement floor, I don't get water down stairs but there are other potentially dangerous things, hot water heater and water pipes.

A couple other thoughts: I have had risers since I was a teen. Rock bands, and the norm was drums sitting a little higher. I guess that was mainly a looks thing. I don't think I ever played a club that didn't have a drum riser. But what I found from having my own is it builds a perimeter around my kit, preventing people from walking by it, smacking something with a guitar neck, etc.
Another thing is, being the only sitting member, I don't feel like everyone is towering over me, musically or physically. Levels the playing field so to speak.
Sound, I always knew it had an affect but I never really paid much attention to it. Lately I have been. The carpet on my current riser is suking too much sound up. I tuned a kit all up, played it for awhile, was very happy with it and then moved it to the riser. Had to go back and rethink the whole thing if I was going to leave it there. I didn't.
I have also played on a hard surface hollow riser. Like Dave was describing. EVERYTHING ends up being carried to it. Drums on a sub. Playing home a lot one definitely tunes for that environment. One could be very shocked taking their kit out and finding out the magic is gone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:42 am 

Quote:
I really need to come up with some sort of riser, but for an additional reason; My carpet in the drum room has really thick padding, and it seems to affect pedal action, particularly with pedals that have baseplates.

To clarify my pedal problem: I have my Sonor spurs adjusted to the bass drum's lowest level position with the front hoop down on the carpet, so the drum isn't jacked up in the front. When the bass drum pedal is played, the sponginess (is that a word?) of the carpet padding allows the front of the pedal to depress down into the carpet and forces the heel to come up.

I am going to try 3/4 inch plywood directly under the kit to see if this will be a quick fix. My original plan was to use a 2x4 frame under plywood, but it seems that might cause unwanted riser resonance.

:ugeek: Brian