On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tuning advice please
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:00 pm 

Cliff,
When I said "bringing up the volume", I meant it in a sense where more is needed. I have a tough time getting adequate volume out of some of the rudiments without them getting sloppy. I would like to be able to play them at a sufficient volume.
Of course I know I just don't practice them enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:11 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Hmmm not sure.
I always tuned drums and set them up that way (heads, sizes) to accomodate for very hard hitting.
There is no way in heck you were going to get anything even remotely decent hitting them lightly.
And if you are trying to say hard hitting doesn't sound good, can't sign up for that either.

Hey, Kel, I agree with the second sentence in sequence to the first There is an area of ambiguity in our discussions, particularly with the third sentence added on. It might help explain why you seem to be looking for a more open drum than you can get from a drum I already consider to be wide open. Getting more resonance and getting more muting at the same time; it's an escalating arms race whose basic reason for being is the drum being hit too hard in the first place.

This is not a discussion, for me, of preferred musical genres or venues or even the volume of music. It is a question of technique, and the sonic richness and dynamics available from a drum set. :)

Needless to say, I'm very interested in what direction you'll find yourself moving, particularly as I'm on a similar trajectory.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:18 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Cliff,
When I said "bringing up the volume", I meant it in a sense where more is needed. I have a tough time getting adequate volume out of some of the rudiments without them getting sloppy. I would like to be able to play them at a sufficient volume.
Of course I know I just don't practice them enough.

Gotcha,

I was thinking you were talking just about technique of 'fingers and wrists' vs. 'wrists and arms', and not thinking you were talking about technique and content.

Tell me if I am wrong, but as I recall, you use a lot of single stroke stuff, and it now makes sense to me that if you are talking about developing ruduments, you are concurrently working on developing multiple stroke technique.

I see now what you mean about developing your volume range of 'new' techniques.

Sure is cool when you suddenly realize that something once done as an 'exercise' has become part of 'style', eh?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 am 

cliff wrote:
Hey Kelly,

I have that problem with a 10". I haven't any idea what effect the cast hoops might have.

Are you using that set of split snare wires?

Maybe that will help the situation.

Drives me out of my mind when I use a 10" with my usual snare tuning; it just wont stop buzzing.

This is why I don't tune my snare like yours anymore Cliff, way too much buzz. I love the sound of my 10" tom , and can't part with it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:12 am 

stevesmithfan wrote:
cliff wrote:
Hey Kelly,

I have that problem with a 10". I haven't any idea what effect the cast hoops might have.

Are you using that set of split snare wires?

Maybe that will help the situation.

Drives me out of my mind when I use a 10" with my usual snare tuning; it just wont stop buzzing.

This is why I don't tune my snare like yours anymore Cliff, way too much buzz. I love the sound of my 10" tom , and can't part with it.

Hey Greg,

I have a Designer 10" and a Signature 10" for sale, if you want some more 10's. ;)

Kidding aside, when I got the 10 / 12 / 14 / 16 kit from Sully, I opted to try an entirely different tuning strategy to see if the 10" could be made a useful part of the set-up (before even considering sympathetic resonance from the snare).

Nope. For me, a 10" tom is still more useful as a penciil holder than it is a drum.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:27 am 

They still make pencils?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:15 am 

Kelly wrote:
They still make pencils?

How else you gonna sharpen one?