On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:37 pm 

That was funny and warm Tim.
You're still a douchebag Greg, as they say in Jersey.

Would completely respect what Hale decides but he would definitely be the first one I've run into that wasn't completely blown away by the sound of Signia's.
I know I'm done searching and ready to roll.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:55 am 

I must admit (once again):
The Signias remind me so much of Hilites!!!

Kelly, in Your opinion, how do they sound compared to Hilites?!?
Maybe Gunnar and Hale can help on this?!?

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:18 am 

I don't think Gunnar actually played them Goki.

As for me I can't sugar coat it. I know you spent a lot of time on Hilites and made them work. Those and Delites were my least favorite Sonor kits. They both just lack personality. Other Sonor kits do effortlessly what both of them were trying to achieve. I'll say this though, they both are great looking drums.
I am drawn to Signia's for the very same reason I was drawn to Signature and SClass Pro's. They each have such a unique voice that they are unmistakenly recognizable. That voice is "full" and stands out. That is of interest to me because I only know live shows and those kits don't get walked on easily in that situation. Fill the drum spot.
My opinion on Signia's is they sound like a cross between Signature and SClass Pro's but have a fundamental overall tone that is just magical.
Signature drums rocked the lower scale.
SClass Pro's rock the lower scale but shave it, with a ton more mids, warmer.
Signia's rock the lower scale with exceptional mids with a higher end not achievable with the other two.
All three project like nobody's business but that is where the Signia note shines. Volume without the mud, sharper, pronounced attack.
And I think they are incredible looking. A very good thing for live shows.
Best way I can describe it my friend. Am I hooked for life...God only knows but I sure am hooked now and can't see it changing anytime soon. I have not been this "drum content" since my early Signature years.
I try to compare them to Hilites for you but I just can't Goki. They look a like but that's where it stops. They tower over Hilites. There actually is no comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 pm 

Kelly,

You are soooo right about the S Class Pros. I get all kinds of raves for the sound of the Emerald Green I bought from you. We got my son a set in Natural right as they were being discontinued. It was his H.S. graduation gift on his way to Berklee. His set sounds great but I like the 20" kick more than his 22". It has more punch somehow. He has to lug that kick around in New York now while he works on his Masters at NYU. :( He would prefer to lug around an 18"...but that's another thread.

I wish I could get the same punch out of my 22" Designer Maple Light Kick. The whole Designer set does not seem to tune as low as the S Class Pros for some reason. :roll: How long has it been since you sold me that kit Kelly?

Roland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:14 am 

"I'm not dead yet!"

The Signias may stay with me, just can't quite find the time to properly play them for a few hours and tinker. Funny because the 10 sounds incredible, the 12 sounds great and the floors sound fine, but I'm getting this strange metallic "thwap" and pingy sound from them...damn Evans heads. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:42 am 

you sure it's not those Ahead sticks you've been using? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:15 am 

LMAO @ Tim

Roland, I dunno, been a long time. That kit for me though, was a stand out. Out of three SClass Pro kits that was my only 20 kick. All of their kicks sound amazing but the 20 can sound twice the size it actually is.
I'll say it again, in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, SClass Pro's are incredible. Still my favorite Sonor kit. Just stay away from the later china made drums.
I've seen 18" SClass Pro kicks on the bay from time to time.
Is your sons kick a 22x16 or the 22x17.5 and is his kit german made or chinese?
Might just be he needs to get out of NY lmao.

22 Designer kicks were very disappointing to me. The 20's are incredible. And I agree, no way you are going to get Designers to sound that full and warm as SClass Pros. That low note in SClass Pros is unbelievable. Never heard another kit do it like those. Works incredible mic'd. A song guy will accent the highs and the kit sounds rich and full.

Hale, I got some fine tuning to do on my two lower toms, might even switch heads on those, but I won't take the Clear Emps off the 8, 10 and 12 until they rot off. My 10 also is crazy good.
Part of my lower tom issue is one is a 14 hang tom the other is a 16 with legs, so getting them to blend requires some cheating. I might just pull the 16 off for now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:04 am 

Kelly wrote:
LMAO @
I'll say it again, in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, SClass Pro's are incredible. Still my favorite Sonor kit.
:( :lol:

I think I'll leave that one alone. :? :lol:

Kelly wrote:

22 Designer kicks were very disappointing to me. The 20's are incredible. .

My 22, now Justin's, was a great drum with enormous dynamic range and body rattling lows. A bit much work to control it in quiet acoustic settings. Still looking for a 20 to match my kit, but those don't show up very often.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:23 am 

Greg,

You have both Bubinga and Fauxbinga right? The Fauxbinga would be an easier catch. I'll be sure to buy any orphan 20's out from under you if I get the chance. :o

My my, this formerly Premier oriented thread has taken a turn towards relevance. 8-)

Roland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:29 am 

RolandG wrote:
Greg,

You have both Bubinga and Fauxbinga right? The Fauxbinga would be an easier catch. I'll be sure to buy any orphan 20's out from under you if I get the chance. :o

My my, this formerly Premier oriented thread has taken a turn towards relevance. 8-)

Roland

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kidding aside, the only Fauxbinga I have is on a couple of Designer snares. I wouldn't reject an Italian 20, however, although I think I could keep the safari going longer if I limit my hunt to the African variety. You're looking for a 20" also?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next