On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:31 am 

Just move this on over to the For Sale section.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:07 pm 

I have the fiberskyn Skyntone head on my d516 and i love it. I think it is thinner than the fiberskyn diplomat. Tuned with a medium tension it has some ring but not a sharp ring if that makes sense.

Also i'm not a hard hitter so the weight works for me. My son who is a basher ruined one in a very short amount of time!

Gary.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:12 pm 

gSonor wrote:
I have the fiberskyn Skyntone head on my d516 and i love it. I think it is thinner than the fiberskyn diplomat. Tuned with a medium tension it has some ring but not a sharp ring if that makes sense.

Also i'm not a hard hitter so the weight works for me. My son who is a basher ruined one in a very short amount of time!

Gary.

Over the last year, I have become a very light hitter... most of the time. I think I could probably make anything last, even Remo's heads rated at medium durability. Thanks for the suggestion, Gary. I'll look into that one, too. I presume the 516 is Phonic beech?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:07 pm 

Yes beech, i think i measured it at 10.5 or 11mm with the veneer inside and out.

Gary.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm 

That thickness of the rosewood Phonic is remarkable, and the second time I've heard about it. Seems like the Phonics, in those cases, are really Signatures in format. The veneers are added to the Phonic formula rather than replacing beech inner/outer layers.

The reason I was asking is because the Signature light is birch, and therefor produce a different shell sound. I don't recall Phonics or Signature heavies having that ring. Quite the opposite.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:54 pm 

gSonor wrote:
I have the fiberskyn Skyntone head ...
Gary.

Gary, I cannot find a Fiberskyn Skyntone on Remo's site, but there is a Skyntone, an orchestral or jazz head, that somewhat resembles a Fiberskyn. Is that the head you mean? Unfortunately, it does not have any tone or durability ratings to compare it by. Perhaps it is below average in durability and, as such, doesn't exist. :? :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm 

Gregory wrote:
gSonor wrote:
I have the fiberskyn Skyntone head ...
Gary.

Gary, I cannot find a Fiberskyn Skyntone on Remo's site, but there is a Skyntone, an orchestral or jazz head, that somewhat resembles a Fiberskyn. Is that the head you mean? Unfortunately, it does not have any tone or durability ratings to compare it by. Perhaps it is below average in durability and, as such, doesn't exist. :? :D

The concept of Zero makes yet another appearance on another thread. ;)

Roland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:14 am 

RolandG wrote:

The concept of Zero makes yet another appearance on another thread. ;)

Roland

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:06 am 

Yeah that's the one, they have a 14 and a 13 head but no 12. I'd use them on the bop kit if that was the case.
It is a drier sounding head if tuned up tight.

I have a list of my phonic drum shell thickness on the other board. If i can find it i'll post it somewhere. It seems as thought almost all of my inside/outside veneer drums were around 11mm except for the bass which was at 10mm. The outside only was at 9-9.5mm.

Gary.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:34 am 

The Skyntone head is described as being 7.5 mils on the Remo forum, and thus Diplomat weight. Remo adds mystery by stating that durability is "actually a little different then many of our other series of heads in a Diplomat weight." On the subject of sound: "The head is very warm and produces a very calf like sound." (Bleat if you agree.)