On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

Post subject: Mike Portnoy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:39 am 

I've heard this name for a few years now. I'm completely out of whats in or out, new or old. I only noticed from the comments section that he played for Dream Theatre which I know nothing about either. I don't spend much time on youtube, not even to check up on the couple drummers I like and can watch.
I really don't like to critic someone elses playing, I always find something interesting, even if it's small, even in the most inexperienced players.
But this....I just don't get.

http://youtu.be/fmbayHHUPcA

Post subject: Re: Mike Portnoy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:52 am 

I am with you, Kelly. Nothing at all in there for me. No groove, no melodic content, no texture, no dynamics.

Pretty brash collection of cymbal sounds, too.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:57 am 

I'd rather watch the Energizer Bunny, as it does not attempt to ennoble its activity with facial expressions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:00 pm 

I was very impressed with his double pedal technique, his single stroke control and his use of a cascara pattern on top of a back beat and then integrating that into a set pattern. The audio was terrible and quite distracting. I guess I view these things from the narrow perspective of context. This was a clinic. This looked to be a young audience. There was no other context for me to gauge musicality per se other than that he was playing to the audience. The bottom line is that I can't play half the things he played so I also view this as an opportunity for self-critique.

Roland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:08 pm 

RolandG wrote:
I was very impressed with his double pedal technique, his single stroke control and his use of a cascara pattern on top of a back beat and then integrating that into a set pattern. The audio was terrible and quite distracting. I guess I view these things from the narrow perspective of context. This was a clinic. This looked to be a young audience. There was no other context for me to gauge musicality per se other than that he was playing to the audience. The bottom line is that I can't play half the things he played so I also view this as an opportunity for self-critique.

Roland

Hey, Roland. It sounds as if your point of view is more open than mine, and there's nothing wrong with that. :? :lol:

Kidding aside, to me the entire issue of music is music, and not of industrial might. Perhaps my filter is purposely narrower than yours. The man has great mechanical abilities, yes, and he can fly higher and faster than I can, and I don't begrudge him it. But the question always arises, a question that qualifies the basis of any action is: What is the purpose? Who is it for?

If, as you suggest, he is playing to the young audience, then in my opinion he is guilty of self-inflation and thereby of misleading youth about the nature of music. Put another way, since all things have a spiritual context, and since that context is either positive or negative, his playing seems to me to weigh in on the negative. Perhaps this is just personal bias; I don't rule that out, but then again it would take considerable realignment of my values to see that clip in a positive light.

Still, I admire your willingness to see the clip in the light of self-critique. But might that not be a narrower view than mine? :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:44 pm 

I also respect Rolands point of view. Usually the one I take.
Though the point I was making is with a name as big as his, that is just completely not what I was expecting.
In the age of internet/youtube, there is a ton of EVERYTHING, I expected with a name like his, to not see something I can expect from the bazillion of others.
It sounds terrible to boot and apparently he endorsed it.
Admittedly, prolly my least favorite type of drummer are the heavy metal ones and he seems to have a foundation in that.
Like I said, I don't watch a lot of drum videos, but I sure hated that one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 am 

I saw Mike on that years clinic tour. His playing is representative of what used to be his band. One thing he did, which I thought was kind of cool, was he played what he called "25 beats that distinguish a song" It was all rock beats/songs, but it covered everything from the Beatles and Zepplin to King Diamond and Twisted Sister. Quite a range.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:44 pm 

This is a very interesting discussion!

This type of music was particularly prominent during my teenage years. Portnoy (and D.T.) were pioneers in the mid-late 80's, helping to define what we now label "progressive-metal." Despite D.T.'s success though, the blast-beat metal genre didn't gain a big following until after the early 90's grunge era. Drummers like Portnoy (Bittner, Haake, Adler, etc) are known for their heavy single stroke chops and fast-tempo double bass drumming.

So, are they technically proficient? Absolutely. Are they 'musical'? Most times, not. I never really connected with this type of music but that's not to say that it's "bad." I think, in this case, Mike chose a poor video to endorse but I've seen a few decent videos from him hat feature some actual dynamics in the performance.

One notable drummer from that era who deserves mention is Danny Carey of Tool. He has a lengthy history in jazz drumming (played from elementary school, majored in percussion at college) and makes use of his speed as much as dynamics. Here is one of his (rare) clinic performances. This is filmed from the audience and is not endorsed by Danny but gives a good scope of his ability. Please excuse the ignoramuses screaming in the beginning and the early cut at the end but this is an excellent clip none-the-less:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwjsGPMIhxc

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:12 pm 

Hey Justin, thanks for posting that. I'm not really a fan of his either but that is one of the better clips I've seen of him.
I like the sound of that kit, or at least the way that it is being presented to me.

Just want you to know, that me saying I am not a fan of theirs doesn't diminish the respect I have for their success. I don't like Lady Gaga either.

There is a certain type of solo, the free, cut lose type, that I really don't enjoy. I think mainly because that is how I have always solo'd and I never found me impressive either.
There is probably only one that I can enjoy doing that anymore and that is Virgil. He is the king at tearing up a kit.

I tend to enjoy a solo that has a solid foundation to it. As long as it has that, I can understand the story and enjoy it.

Think it's just old age.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:58 pm 

Kelly wrote:
...I tend to enjoy a solo that has a solid foundation to it. As long as it has that, I can understand the story and enjoy it.

Think it's just old age.

Dunno, Kelly. Might be just the maturity that comes with old age.

Speaking generally, and not in response to anything linked in this string, a solo that is just a free-form collection of 'licks and tricks' does nothing for me either.

I much prefer a solo to be in context with a structure that it is set into, and I think that many 'youtube solos' and 'clinic solos' are aften not in any context to begin with.
:?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?