On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:11 pm 

Gregory wrote:
barryabko wrote:
Gregory wrote:
But why oh why does not someone make a throwoff that mirrors the simple mechanism of Sonor's faux parallel TO2 ?

That's a very good throwoff. I have it on several of my Sonor snares. Tama, Yamaha and some others have/had similar throwoffs. The advantage is that you can use extended snare wires.

As an alternative, you can add the roller mechanism (correctly positioned on the shell) to any throwoff to provide for extended snare wires.

Barry

Yes! And you find the roller mechanism where? Please don't say on discarded Phonics and Lites. :lol:

They come up for sale once in a while on ebay. CB drums uses them on their marching snares so it's probably available as a replacement part.

Barry

Snares: Phonic Roswd 10x14 & 14x14 t-s conv, D508 8x14, D518X, Performr & 3001
6 pc Performer kit
Sig/5000 II /Phonic hrdwr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm 

Jeff wrote:
Unfortunately, I think I feel more at home with the bafoons :oops: .

Phooey. Stay well, Jeff, and thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 pm 

barryabko wrote:

They come up for sale once in a while on ebay. CB drums uses them on their marching snares so it's probably available as a replacement part.

Barry

You mean the Sonor items is found on ebay? I must be doing the wrong search. Presumably, CB makes their own. I am illiterate about these things. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 am 

Kelly wrote:
Hey Ron,
I'm sorry. I try, I really do. Can't see much into the product through the forum haze.
It reads how the typical thread goes on the Sonor forum. The Sonor faithful would praise the new "Sonor drum Air Revitalizer". Yup that's right. Comes in a aerosol can and fits in your stick bag. Just insert attachable long stem nozzle into your drum air vent, hold for 15 seconds and Voila! Old stale air, gone. Comes in a variety of scents too; "Rousewood", "SAMIAMsellingit", and "UbetterLoveitLodgson", to name a few.
Many have reported a significant improvement in the sound of their drums. Some claim their heads and sticks are lasting a lot longer too.

"How could you not worship it you piece of dung".

Kelly,
I love You, Man!

:ugeek: Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:41 am 

Kelly wrote:
Ended up getting it for 250.

That was an awesome deal Kelly!

Kelly wrote:
Actually Ron, I'm quite sure it is the snare in at least most of my videos.

Well if that is the case then it sounds amazing to my ears but that may have something to do with it being played really well too :)

As far as I know the Prolite drums do in fact have re-enforcement rings. I only know this to be true of the snares so far though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:35 am 

Gregory wrote:
You mean the Sonor items is found on ebay? I must be doing the wrong search. Presumably, CB makes their own. I am illiterate about these things. :oops:

No, I've never seen Sonor roller bridges on ebay. Most of the ones I've seen on ebay have been from vintage Pearl Free Floaters or from vintage Tama Imperialstars. I've also seen a few from Yamaha Recording Customs.

Barry

Snares: Phonic Roswd 10x14 & 14x14 t-s conv, D508 8x14, D518X, Performr & 3001
6 pc Performer kit
Sig/5000 II /Phonic hrdwr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:56 am 

Jeff, always liked you...a lot. And for that reason, I'll tell you how I feel about it.

Most everyone on here is playing Sonor drums. I don't. In the beginning I was hoping this would not become a Sonor forum. But a drum forum, low key, hang with friends. Quite a few here are in my personal life.
I don't prefer membership increases. Not that anyone is not welcome here but I would like the atmosphere to be coffee- shoppish; "Hows the wife and kids".
Cliff, Greg and a few others still like to read over there. I don't. For several reasons. Mainly, I'm just not interested in Sonor drums.
I was one of the first members on that board and have a long long history there. Do I have hostility for the place, mmm maybe. But that is my right. If I were still a member there, I am absolutely positive I would be kicked off, immediately.
I would prefer to not have anything from there brought here but I understand the interest from people still playing Sonor drums so I'm okay with it, Ignore when I want to, comment when I feel like it, take stabs at humor when I have nothing really worth a hill of beans to add.
I'm really not one to bash people that are not even present to defend themselves. That's not really in my character though I might fail in it. I don't believe I would say anything I wouldn't say to someone face to face. Still, that's not an excuse for not being nice.
There are a quite a few folks from the Museum I still talk to via phone or email. I call them friends. Given the nature of forums, there are also quite a few people I don't care to be friends with. Thus my departure. The second group became larger than the first.
I can surely understand the position I might put someone in who is active on both forums. I hate it and try to refrain from discussing the place at all. But it comes here, so I do.
Equally you have just as much right to discuss it in anyway you see fit. I do appreciate your comments and your honesty and it is welcomed. If you are uncomfortable, I apologize. If you can't do both then I apologize again. But I can't apologize for my comments and feelings towards it. I would like to see you comfortable and free to speak your mind. That is what I believe the difference is here. Have at it. I really don't see it as "constant museum bashing" though. If I went that route, I'm sure I'd be getting booted off of here. If your comments are an exit, then I will regret it but wish you luck and good fortune in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 am 

Brian....love you too brother. Where you at with the stang? Lets see some fresh pics. I'm looking at trading my car in right now.

Ron....that sounds awefully close to the Delite make-up. Don't think I would have any interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 am 

Kelly wrote:
Most everyone on here is playing Sonor drums. I don't. In the beginning I was hoping this would not become a Sonor forum. But a drum forum, low key, hang with friends. Quite a few here are in my personal life.
I don't prefer membership increases. Not that anyone is not welcome here but I would like the atmosphere to be coffee- shoppish; "Hows the wife and kids".
Cliff, Greg and a few others still like to read over there. I don't. For several reasons. Mainly, I'm just not interested in Sonor drums.
I was one of the first members on that board and have a long long history there. Do I have hostility for the place, mmm maybe. But that is my right. If I were still a member there, I am absolutely positive I would be kicked off, immediately.
I would prefer to not have anything from there brought here but I understand the interest from people still playing Sonor drums so I'm okay with it, Ignore when I want to, comment when I feel like it, take stabs at humor when I have nothing really worth a hill of beans to add.
I'm really not one to bash people that are not even present to defend themselves. That's not really in my character though I might fail in it. I don't believe I would say anything I wouldn't say to someone face to face. Still, that's not an excuse for not being nice.
There are a quite a few folks from the Museum I still talk to via phone or email. I call them friends. Given the nature of forums, there are also quite a few people I don't care to be friends with. Thus my departure. The second group became larger than the first.
I can surely understand the position I might put someone in who is active on both forums. I hate it and try to refrain from discussing the place at all. But it comes here, so I do.
Equally you have just as much right to discuss it in anyway you see fit. I do appreciate your comments and your honesty and it is welcomed. If you are uncomfortable, I apologize. If you can't do both then I apologize again. But I can't apologize for my comments and feelings towards it. I would like to see you comfortable and free to speak your mind. That is what I believe the difference is here. Have at it. I really don't see it as "constant museum bashing" though. If I went that route, I'm sure I'd be getting booted off of here. If your comments are an exit, then I will regret it but wish you luck and good fortune in your life.

Noted

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:38 pm 

From what I've seen as news I must say:

1) The throw off/strainer looks interesting. Surely it's tempting for drummers who need a smooth working gear. It has both style and engineering seriousness. I hope it performs well too. If one judges from the SONOR snare wires, the strainer should be a masterpiece.

2) The red tribal is my personal favorite finish (although I'm beyond colored finishes, might be an age issue, or style of music played). I'm more into white pearl, wood looking, scandi or mate veneers. But, I can't claim that this is not beautiful.

3) But, I don't see the PROLITE concept as new, simply because:
a) it says "vintage maple shells" which I believe is the same as Delites. If You say "vintage" in my book, then reinforcing rings are sure enough present on the shell.
b) shallow sizes were introduced with the beech infinitive line. And I hate shallow floor toms. I'd kill for a remake of the Hilite floor toms.

I must say that the S Classix was a NEW idea. A Designer birch shell priced fair.
I must say the Beech infinitive was a GREAT idea. A beech drum set in both wonderful look and finish.
I must say that the Designer concept was the BEST idea I've ever seen.

I must say I don't find the ProLite concept exciting. When I saw the picture (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/show ... hp?t=85777) with just the LITE in the badge, I thought SONOR is bringing back SONORLITE (which I find to be a great name, by the way, and I never owned a set from that series). PROLite just doesn't sound that great (Signature, Designer, Hilite). It's in the line of the Delite, S Class(ix), Force names. Doesn't sound THAT great.
The badge is great. It looks and feels right. But I personally expected more from the drum itself, as a new concept.

My personal favorites (apart from the Designer ground breaking concept) still remain:
1) The Benny Greb snare - a top idea in style, size, finish and badge
2) The Steve Smith snare - a top idea in style and badge
3) The Beech Infinitive - a fantastic concept with a great badge and outstanding looks
4) The Accent Series - a great move with the badge, to separate German from Asian manufacture.

These are my thoughts. As a drummer who's interested in design, look and appeal...
I guess, since (if I'm not mistaken) they made great changes in 2011, they're saving themselves for NAMM 2013. We'll see what will happen then.

If there's time and space for You guys, what do You say we start topics where we can discuss visual appeal for a brand (with it's series), once a week.
Does this sound interesting?!? I'm sure most of us (if not all) owned and played several brands.

After all, the point is to see our ideas "on drums", not "on SONOR drums"... :geek: :geek: :geek:

Let the good drums roll!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next