On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:59 am 

Great post Kelly - sincere, humble, and above all, noble... :)

I noticed one thought in Your post - "I don't think much of the new stuff but..." I too don't get THAT excited about new drums nowadays, and I know how "excited" I was 5-6 years ago, about ANY brand, not just SONOR.
I think, as we age, we tend to stick to a certain developed taste, and don't show interest in "the new wines". And, when it comes to me, I'm like that in almost any field. Can't stand neither the latest fashion, nor the latest car models... :lol:

Each person is entitled to its own opinion. And I came to realize here that, in-spite of the disagreement, that opinion is valued and respected. Amen to that!!!

I also was "a regular" on the Sonor Forum up until 2010-2011. I never had a harsh word spoken to me, or spoken to. But, I noticed the wind change. And, with all honesty, the place lost it spirit, you can even say it became "commercial". It just didn't feel comfortable anymore.

I know the last 2 years have been hell in all of the world, but we come on Forums to share thoughts and experiences (good and bad) and not to deliberately pick on each other.
In fact, I post almost only in the Geek section, complimenting on drums bought. And my last post was, well, a long back (not counting the last-last one where I had to do it since I got pissed on how easy people tend to harass someone who never got in the way).

Sorry for the rant guys... :geek:
P.S. With all honesty, if I wrote a similar thread like this on the Sonor Forum, I just know that some smart guy wouldn't waste time with the "rotten cabbage and tomatoes", although I never "tormented" anyone in my life there. Well, it comes with Forum popularity I guess - the more, the merrier...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:25 am 

Kelly,

Although I personally don't think an apology was warranted at all (this is after all an "opinion forum") I'm sure folks here appreciate how thoughtful it was.

Being a relatively recent but "dive-in-deep" latecomer to Sonor drums, I don't have the history over at the SF that some of you did. But in being more often a reader than a poster there, I think the inherent biases of any "Fan Forum" centered around a brand name product are apparent there. People go to the SF because they love Sonor drums, for one reason or another. And I would argue that independent opinions which criticize said company, especially if they become prevalent, probably go against the tide of a Fan Forum, of which the SF certainly is.

That being said, I certainly have seen a lot of Pearl and Tama bashing over at the SF that I simply don't understand, but I think that is probably just human nature "rooting for my home team" kind of stuff. I would gladly participate in Goki's idea of threads on different brands periodically as I have played and owned many! And some of the less expensive stuff has remained my favorite over the years.

I would hope all the SF guys would stick around here. But I think the whole purpose of this Forum is to be wide open, "brand" neutral, respectful of all members, and with the knowledge that we will often disagree with each other! ;)

Happy Friday!

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 am 

Goki,

It's scary but you are more articulate and write better English than most of the well educated people I know in the U.S.!

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:05 am 

phatsolid wrote:
Goki,

It's scary but you are more articulate and write better English than most of the well educated people I know in the U.S.!

- D.

Goki is articulate, and he approaches his subject with humility, respect, and goodwill, but also with critical thought. His English ain't perfect, but I agree, it is better than much of what is written by native speakers. I would argue, however, that a good education shows up in the ability to write well, even if not brilliantly, and I wonder about the education of those who cannot. Methinks they may be the product of a very poor education.

Wait a minute... where are we? Oh, new sonor drums... :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:09 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Methinks they may be the product of a very poor education.

I fall into this category but I try my best. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 pm 

Me too Ron.

Goki, David, Ron....sincerely appreciate the three of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:37 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Me too Ron.

Goki, David, Ron....sincerely appreciate the three of you.

Thanks Kelly I really like reading your posts, watching you drum and most of all your company on this forum. I love it here and always will due to all of you guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:50 pm 

Last time I saw this thread it had four responses, did you guys all get snowed in or something?
Just to add my two cents, I don't see the participants of this forum bashing anyone really, just a bunch of grown ups having educated opinionated discussions about drums and other things. There isn't much of a rebuttal sometimes but you cant win them all.

We do all like Sonors for one reason or another, and that forum is the one that ultimately spawned this one. I still read over there but don't post much, i can't be super Sonor fanboy without an endorsement from them. I still tour Yamaha drums, I play ludwigs and gretsch in the studio(usually with a Sonor snare) and play my sonors locally and at home. I like them all, I didn't like touring with Sonors. Granted when I did they were from the older lines, but they are a backbreaker, fussy after being in a cold van for 15 hours, and in most venues I was playing I could have played a set of mid level drums from any company with double ply heads for the difference the sound made in the FOH system. Maybe if I had toured with designers I would not have had that experience, but I didn't and it was the one I had.

I think the Classix line would have changed my mind about that as well, but I couldn't see spending the money on those and dumping my Yamaha's for a tour rig, though they are much lighter and seemed to be better engineered. I was planning on replacing the Y with the classix when they had finally given it up(next tour probably) but now it would seem i won't have the option. I think it is a shame that they are discontinuing the line, they are great drums. It seems like with the ProLite line they are adopting Yamaha's Absolute philosophy where you can mix woods on a kit and have the same hardware and finishes. It does seem to be succesful.

Either way the Raving Fans over there will probably never be satisfied until they all get their own SQ2's, or a line of drums with a Force series price point that is completely custom. They can talk about the company, the drums and the endorsement policies until the cows come home, thats what fans do. But the company itself is looking to stay in business, so they are going to do whatever they can to stay in business. I think they need a better marketing program for that, you don't see their name around like you once did.

Rant rant, whatever, I do think the Beech Infinites are awesome, having played them, just an amazing kit. I wish they were making that like a permanent fixture with a smaller bass drum.

I agree with Goki and think we should talk about other companies as well, keep us all educated a little better about what else is out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:54 pm 

Quote:
Last time I saw this thread it had four responses, did you guys all get snowed in or something?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You do this often Tim, thanks! ha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:55 pm 

I've been commuting three hours a day for the last month, I don't have much left after getting home! Last Day of that WOOHOO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next