On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So WHAT'S IT TO BE?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:47 pm 

Ayotte, Craviotto, GMS, Canopus...? People complain about the prices, but after dealing with Sonor, these guys don't seem all that hight. Maybe I'm missing something.

I have read about some other small custom makers, but as far as I can tell, they're mostly done trying to shake business out of the trees, but will build one for you if you go find them first.

I'm not that keen on the genre of guys buying Keller shells and putting fancy finishes on them, but the businesses listed above seem fairly serious about their products. I've seen photos of Dunnet drums, or at least of drums with a Dunnet bass head logo, but I don't see any sign that he markets them. Snares are all that I can find.

Post subject: Re: So WHAT'S IT TO BE?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 am 

My local drum store had an awesome Ayotte set in maybe 5 years ago in a colour shifting finish that changed from purple to green as you walked by it. Also a light glitter too it if I remember correctly. It was amazing looking and came with two snares. I never got a chance to play them but going on looks and build quality they were just killer! Now i'd be lying if I said I remembered the shell sizes exactly but I do know it was 12, 14 with a 18 kick and a 14x5 snare and a smaller one and it was selling at something like £3500. Weird sizes and combinations for that kind of cash but I guess it was the drum stores choice to go with that configuration. For sound though I remember hearing Nathaniel Townsley's GMS kit on a modern drummer DVD years ago and it sounded mind blowing! I still watch his section of the DVD regularly and still enjoy it as much. Check it out if you ever have time the guy is VERY talented.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 am 

Sometimes kits just strike my fancy... mostly for aesthetic reasons at this point. I know what kind of shells I like (thin) and what kind of hardware I like (ISO mounts, lightweight, plays nice in the sandbox with other brands), etc. And for the sound I like, many of the best drums I have played have been simple Keller maple shells or other thin shells (S-Classix). So at this point it's usually a combination of colors, a cool sparkle lacquer, or a certain wood finish that gets my attention.

This one kind of struck me as cool, though the sizes are huge. Kind of subtle and classy with the muted hardware:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2724270297.html

- D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 am 

Interesting looking kit, David. The multiplication of portholes is a bit distracting to the simplicity. :lol:

SonoRon wrote:
M For sound though I remember hearing Nathaniel Townsley's GMS kit on a modern drummer DVD years ago and it sounded mind blowing!

The only thing I know about GMS is that I know an exceptional player who swears by them. Along with enthusiasm for the drums themselves, his face shone when talking about "GMS's willingess to work with" him. He found them very flexible, including putting a 30º rather than 45º on a kit they were building for him. Not enough to hug the company over, but clearly they are customer oriented. I still can't tell who builds their shells, which leads to the assumption that they are not.

Canopus is very peculiarly Japanese. They pay inordinate attention to The Ventures, as only Americanophiles can be expected to do. Canopus interest in lathe turned snares makes them interesting, and there are a full variety of shells and materials to explore. Unfortunately, their website is opaque, and I gave up before long.

Craviotto makes some very nice equipment, good looking, and I am coming away with the notion that, if you want a 'solid' shell, the closest approximation to it, without the incredible cost and fragility of a turned log, would be the steam bent single ply, which they produce.

Those who watched the "Buddy" link posted by Kelly will have noticed the difference in wood tone when the stick is tapped in the middle or at the very end. That is because the cells in the wood are lined up with the direnction of growth. A tap across the grain moves very slowly and sounds soft and dark by comparison to one along the grain, which is very sharp and bright. Using just one sheet of wood (or using a hollowed out log) is the only way to get that kind of singular response through a shell, although clearly things are more complicated inside a drum. I am not commenting on whether it is better or not, because I don't know; but I do imagine the purity of tone from the wood, not compromised by glue, is more clearly manifested in that type of construction.

Does Ayotte still exist? Can't find a website.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 am 

A friend of mine has a set of Ayotte's and they sound great. I've never been that impressed with Craviotto's, but I will admit they are nice stuff.

Since I build drums, I seem to look at a drum and tell myself, "I could build that." In fact, I'm looking for someone/foundry to cast my broken cymbals into a shell. I just bought a lathe and need an excuse to fire it up...lol.

I will agree that there are a lot of Keller 'decorators' out there. One worth mentioning, however, is Stauffer/Phattie percussion. Dennis is building some really great sounding/looking stuff.

Perhaps I should post some of my builds... as long as you guys don't get bored. :o

Last edited by latzanimal on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 am 

I do not think Ayotte is around anymore...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 pm 

latzanimal wrote:
Perhaps I should post some of my builds... as long as you guys don't get bored. :o

By all means, Dave. Show n' Tell. Don't be shy. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:36 pm 

I have yet to play a single ply drum that I like. The whole concept rings true (no pun intended) to be great to me, but I'm not sure it produces a tone I like. It's very cutting and harsh not the least bit warm IMO.

Ayotte is actually still around, but like Premier, they always seem to be under new ownership with a promise to try to get back to the "glory" days.

Ray Ayotte has a new custom company going... Raya Drums (http://rayadrums.com/) but it's pretty new with no info yet. He was the whole Ayotte concept and company anyway and he's been gone from them for years.

I owned a pretty early Phattie kit years ago and it was awesome. Very simple Keller shells, with high quality bearing edges, lightweight lugs, and a great lacquer finish. Here is a pic:

- D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:54 pm 

I think Dennis is getting away from the Phattie name and moving towards the Stauffer (his last name)....

Greg, I mostly build segment shells/drums. When I first started, some 16-17 years ago, I worked for a guy name Goetz. He taught me how build the shells. Since then I've improved on his methods and still build. Last year I even had my own badges made. My problem is time. I just don't have enough of it. Let me remember where I put the pics..

Perhaps I'll start my own thread as to not clog up this one...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:37 pm 

latzanimal wrote:
I think Dennis is getting away from the Phattie name and moving towards the Stauffer (his last name)....

Greg, I mostly build segment shells/drums. When I first started, some 16-17 years ago, I worked for a guy name Goetz. He taught me how build the shells. Since then I've improved on his methods and still build. Last year I even had my own badges made. My problem is time. I just don't have enough of it. Let me remember where I put the pics..

Perhaps I'll start my own thread as to not clog up this one...

Great idea, Dave. Looking forward to seeing them.