On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: BASS DRUMS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm 

cliff wrote:

Photo of a guy preparing to be force-fed a lot of shit. :o :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:12 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If we were a tribe council - them nights by the fire would have been a blast for every member of the tribe... Even in the coldest of winter... :D

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:39 pm 

Goki wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If we were a tribe council - them nights by the fire would have been a blast for every member of the tribe... Even in the coldest of winter... :D

If we were a tribe council, even the coldest winter would be warmed by blasts of hot air. :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:29 am 

I agree with Kelly, its all about depth. Gotta be square, or rectangular :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogBQq8nyqas&NR=1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:05 am 

How stupid are we. That box sounded great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:18 pm 

I toured for a long time with a 18x16" Pearl Masters or 18x15" Sonor F2K bass drum (both risen and pre-muffled headed). They were also tuned to sound like "rock" bass drums and were very easy and compact to transport. Every venue I played had some sort of PA system with subs. When mic'ed up, they sounded HUGE and I took a small bit of the bass drum folded back into my monitor to compensate for the lack of diameter/depth and projection. The reasons I quit touring with an 18 and stepped up to a 20" were:
1. The band liked the onstage sound of the 20" better
2. Monitor mix clarity: the band didn't want to always put the bass drum in the monitor to hear it.
3. Finding my 18" bass drum heads on the road isn't always easy.
4. Not having to carry a separate riser that could get lost eased my mind a bit.
5. I cut a proportionate port in my 18" (3" vs 3.5" on a 20) that barely fit most mics and therefore the sound guy would get a little edgy.

Once I did a local gig on a large stage with a large venue and decided to bring some extra toys for the show since it was an easy thing to do. I ended up adding a 16" floor tom and 24x18" bass drum to my usual 10 14 18 set up. The 24" was on an extension pedal way off to the right and the 18 was my primary bass drum. Upon mic'ing, we all realized that the 18" was tuned to a lower fundamental note (I guess I tuned the 24 higher to capture more of that Bonham tone that comes from bigger drums tuned tighter) and had nowhere near the projection of the 24" (duh!).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGbcnZ-3 ... r_embedded :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:30 pm 

Man, I love these clips. :lol:

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:22 am 

That was funny.
Jazz drummers are a pain in the ass.

Being this thread is ancient, I had to read back some to see what it was about. I still don't know lol.
One thing that I realize though, and I think it's all connected:

Greg stated"
Quote:
If were to advise someone (else) who could only have one kick, I'd probably suggest a 20. Rehearsal without a PA in louder situations would be the reason. But I can't say that I really want to open myself to playing that kind of gig any longer. If the music has to be that loud to be heard, if ears need to be hurt to hear it, perhaps there's something awry with the motivation?

I thought about all the earlier years in loud rock bands, doing high energy shows. If you are doing high energy shows, in bigger clubs, then pretty much you have to practice for them. Hitting hard, high volume...it's not feasible to not produce that energy in practice that you plan on producing on a stage.
I think as the years go on, those things are not feasible for me anymore. For several reasons, one being, I just don't have that kind of energy anymore, but more importantly, I don't have that kind of desire anymore. It would have to be a big money situation for me to even consider doing that regularly. And then I'd have to deal with the energy issue.
My biggest issue right now is getting into something and being subject to playing harder than I want to be playing. It's a no-no. I make all my adjustments during the first few songs which include letting everyone know if I am playing at an uncomfortable level. I have always had my own PA which can allow for quite a bit of compromise, in rehearsal anyway.
But I see how this direction, in life?? can lead to adjusting to these things. Was a time that a 20 was unthinkable. High energy required every available volume option. Now I love 20's.
22's work just as well for me right now, as with all the new head designs they are pretty easy to tame.
18's...I understand why they are liked...I don't see me requiring that dynamic, or being on the jazz side of drumming or gigging in a situation where I could use one in the forseeable future but...who knows, couldn't see a 20 either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 am 

Kelly wrote:
...My biggest issue right now is getting into something and being subject to playing harder than I want to be playing. It's a no-no. I make all my adjustments during the first few songs which include letting everyone know if I am playing at an uncomfortable level. I have always had my own PA which can allow for quite a bit of compromise, in rehearsal anyway...

Very valid observation that I had not thought much about until you mentioned it. In a situation that tends to be or become pretty high volume, it's good to have control of the knobs, eh?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?